Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

I was expecting this to be sweeter than it was, and was pleasantly surprised. I like sweet but I was really thinking this would go Dana O'Shee like. It didn't...
Onward!
In the vial, a clean fresh tea scent. This has been the tea scent that has most actually smelled of tea on me so I was very happy about this. Fresh linen and cups of steaming black english breakfast in the morning. Something else sneaks in there after a while, a little hint of spice of ginger and black pepper. It's almost a minty undertone mingled with the tea, but the effect is gorgeous, elegant, clean, and uniquely complex. This sweetened just a little on dry down but never enough to be cloying. Overall not a terribly strong scent, though certainly not forgettable either.

Starched tablecloths, tea, and spicey breads spread with honey. Gorgeous... gorgeous...so buying a huge bottle.

First sniff:

This smells like Snow White to me, right out of the bottle for some reason. It's very creamy and soft and white smelling but with a hint of vanilla and honey. If I inhale shallowly, I can smell the linen (it's easy to pick out since I just spent 10 minutes sniffing Dirty) and a bit of ginger. So far, there's no tea to my nose, just creamy milk and honey and ginger...this reminds me more than anything of being put to bed at night when I was small: the smell of clean bedsheets and what I imagine warm milk with honey might smell like. It's a comforting scent, but strange because I expected a strong tea note in White Rabbit and don't detect any tea at all.

Wet on skin:

There's the tea! I knew it was hiding in there somewhere. I also smell lemon for some reason even though there's none listed in the description. I'm wondering if BPAL's ginger note is making my nose think "Lemon!" because the same thing happened with Kumiho. The lemon note (whatever it is) fades quickly on me, though, leaving behind a soft, creamy tea scent with a hint of spice. This is very light on me right at the moment, but it's gorgeous so far.

Dry down:

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous! Milk, ginger, honey and vanilla with a soft black tea note in the background. For me, this is like Snow White meets Lipton's black tea and I love it! This is a very soft, innocent smelling scent, very creamy and subdued. I really love this one!

The bottom line:

I'm so glad I got a 5mL of this instead of the imp I was originally planning on getting. White Rabbit is gorgeous and so innocent and understated smelling. It smells like a little girl's tea party in the best possible way. :P

Oh! I smell it! I smell the White Rabbit!

First few minutes:

I smell the black tea with ginger over it. And I can catch the white linen note in the background. So far this blend is like an unsweetened tea with a bit of lemon in it. It's very fresh. I hope the sweeter notes come out more as White Rabbit wears on. So far it's nice, but I don't know if I can wear something this "sharp."

White Rabbit is darkening a bit -- I think the pepper is showing through.

This might be good for those who like Lemon Sugar by Fresh. I can see myself wearing this when I need a calming scent, especially if I have an upset stomach. This is what I expected Sudha Segara to be like, but with a creamier undertone. Right now I just wish White Rabbit were sweeter -- then I'd definitely love it!

Edited by tart

Wow... this is really beautiful. It is a very interesting blend. This is what I thought Sudha Segara would smell like. This very sweet on me, not too much so though. I like the milky part of it, that seems to tame the sweetness down alot. There is alot of vanilla and there seems to be almond in here as well. I love the black tea, cause I cant really smell it too much, but I can actually taste it! This is such a warm blend. I like it very much. I cant stop sniffing myself, I can taste what I smell with this oil. Love it!! :P

Wet I smell the linen, clean and crisp, and the sweetness of the honey, with a bite that is either the ginger or the pepper. Probably the pepper.

After a few minutes, the linen all but goes away, and I get the tea, with a liberal amount of honey and vanilla poured in, and the ginger. It's almost totally different! Still incredible, though!

I can't stop smelling the back of my hand, this is so complex and beautiful and totally unusual for me in a perfume. I adore it, though, and it's going on my bottle list for sure!

In the bottle:

White Rabbit smells like dried apricots! :P Sniffing again, I can detect the black tea and white pepper.

Wet on skin/drydown:

Yep, the blend of ingredients is producing a dried apricot scent on me. I smell a hint of peaches at first but that disappears within five minutes, leaving black tea, milk, and honey. I don't get ginger or vanilla at all, but then I hardly ever detect vanilla in BPAL. It must be my skin that eats it up.

I do get a mental picture of a fine linen tablecloth...not sure if I would have gotten that without the description, but it is there all the same.

Bottom Line:

I really, really like this. I only applied a tiny bit from the cap, and it's lasted for some time. Even better, I'm working on collecting the Mad Tea Party series, so I ordered this in 10 ml! :D

In the bottle: Strong black tea and honey all right. I can detect some of the other spices but not pick them out. And the vanilla is there kinda muted and lovely in the background. This might be a big bottle purchase if it stays as lovely on me.

Wet: Finally a milk scent that doesn't make me think of almonds though this smells like chocolate on my wrist for some odd reason. Hm. Weird. I smell like a chocolate Easter bunny. The hollow ones. Oh, there's the tea again. Nice tea. Please stay. The chocolate smell was all right but not my fav. Lemon? Why does it have a vague lemon note...oh, maybe that's just what my nose is associating the ginger with? This isn't overly sweet, thankfully.

Dry down: Tea with lemon (?) and a little bit of honey. I have Severin for my tea/lemon kick, though. Oh, wait there's a bit more of the milk. Not cloying the way I found it in Dana O'Shee and Snow White, though. Just faint and barely there. Kinda murky. And, yes, pepper. Maybe the ginger and pepper smells made the lemon on my skin and now they're separating. I kinda wish the vanilla was a little more there on my wrist than it is.

Dry: I hate to say that I might have found a tea scent I don't like. Well, not so much don't like as don't like on me. It stays kinda tea and lemon (?) on me, which is nice but...not what I was hoping for. I just don't get it. I'll have to keep it around and test it again in the hopes that maybe my skin is being wonky today. :P

First sniff: Hmm, I can hardly smell anything at all.. maybe a faint linen smell.. But then again, I think I'm a bit stuffy and this is definitely a light light scent.

On: Oh yeah, it was the linen that i was smelling. I think I'm also picking up a bit of the tea and ginger now, too.

After a few minutes: I think that the honey is coming out a tiny bit. It's slightly sweeter than it was before.

As I said, this one is very light. What I can smell of it right now is really gorgeous! I can't wait to be able to give this one a try when my nose isn't stuffy and the weather is a bit warmer. *snuggles it*

I was sooooooo excited about this one... bought the big bottle unsniffed... and am really disappointed :P

This has MUCHA PIMIENTA (that's much pepper to you non-Spanish speakers)... I can pick up the ginger and the black tea and a bit of the milk... but no honey and no vanilla...

As it dries it sweetens up some... I get other notes a bit but not like I had hoped for...

I tried this yesterday and this morning I can still smell a VERY faint whiff of it on each wrist... NOW I get the blend I hoped for... Sudha Segara with a kick... Dana O Shee for the diabetic set... but unfortunately unless one were to glue one's nostrils to my wrist in an attempt to inhale them... nothing...

I'm not tossing it in the swap pile just yet... I had such high hopes for it that its going to get at least one more trial... but... :D I fear its not long for my collection...

Another one I've only tested...so this may be updated at a later date. When I first tested this, it was nothing like I expected. I got a very sharp/bitter note which I'm guessing is the tea. This is definitely a different tea note than Baobhan Sith. Once that sharpness backs off, I'm left with a creamy honey vanilla scent with just a light touch of spiciness (ginger). I'm not picking up the clean linen scent yet, but maybe I will once I wear this. This is not as sweet as I imagined it. I think it may take me a little while to get used to this. I'll see how it wears when I wear it for an entire day.

White Rabbit

in the bottle ~ smells like Alice with a spicy peppery swirl. The milkiness is there with the vanilla and honey, all swirling on the surface of a big cup of earl grey tea. The ginger is a biting note, but in the background.

wet ~ mmm, I smell the linen; pristine and freshly washed and pressed. Well, almost pristine, someone spilled a drop or two of the tea on it, so it's not as clean as it would be. The ginger! It's in the biscuits! It's honeyed and crisp, sweetened by sugar crystals dusting the tops. A few crumbs stuck to the whiskers of Mr. White Rabbit as he's in such a hurry he's eating too fast. The air is sweetened with his creamed and vanilla early grey.

dry down 15 minutes later ~ The ginger biscuits are more apparent, almost creating a very gentle citrus scent in the background. He better hurry and finish, or he'll be late! The tea has cooled and is not as prominent, but there's still that white pepper and ginger...mixed with a little of the honey, creating a warm and snuggly scent that's heady and rich. The linen is still mostly clean, but scattered with spicy crumbs and random little dottings of tea.

Overall, this matured beyond Alice. It's really complex, without meaning to be. Warming and sweet, but with a little bite, I should have ordered a big bottle! Dammit. Well, now I know what to get next time.

In the bottle i get Pepper, pepper, pepper!

Luckily the pepper is not so strong on. I get... hmm.... vanilla, and and a hint of lemon (which I suppose would be the linen?), and something tart, which would be the tea.

Ten minutes later, lemon is gone, but whooa there is the pepper again, it makes my nose tingle! Other than I smell like tea, with vanilla and milk in it. Really quite amazing!

Ok, Pepper tones again and I'm left with warm vanilla chai. I've never smelled anything like this before, it smells like the taste of milk, and it also smells very formal, not in a womanly way, but in a very rabbity way. I honestly cannot think of a scent that would better embody the white rabbit.

I like this a lot, sudha seagra with a zing of pepper and tea. Very nice! Glad I got a bottle already!

It's funny how this is one that everybody's chemistry changes to such different degrees. Right after application I can clearly smell all the different scents. I get the tea, I get the crisp linen, I get the ginger and the milk, and very faintly get the honey and vanilla. But shortly, about 15 minutes in, the ginger comes to the forefront. The lab's ginger is nothing like I ever expect. It's very sharp and clean and fresh, and there's almost a floral note in there, not like the ginger spice, but not like hawaiian ginger flower either. I really love it in Kumiho in the summer time. I wish the pepper lasted a bit longer, but for the next couple hourse it's like a roided Kumiho, sometimes reminiscent of Sudha Segara (like other reviewers have said). Oddly, it changes one more time, suddenly, about three hours in and becomes soft sweet milk with just a little ginger, and the faintest trace of pepper. I quite like this all the way through, but think it's a little too cold for it now. I'll start wearing it regularly in March or April.

it is funny, we all seem to be picking up very different notes very specifically. interesting, skin chemistry I suppose.

in the bottle, I love this! I really like the uniqueness of the pepper with the tea and baked goods scents. yum! when I wear it, though, all I get is honey, which is nice, but not my favorite for me.

I will keep the imp for sniffing whilst daydreaming though... is that dorky? there are scents I can't really wear but love to smell anyway...

I love White Rabbit :P ! I think this has been the most excited I have ever been about a new release and it's the first non-LE oil I've gone out and ordered in 5ml right away, without getting an imp first. But boy, is it hard to figure out. I've worn it for three days now, hoping I could write a decent review but it keeps changing on me. Sometimes when I wear it the clean cotton smell is strongest, with all the other notes hiding in the background. Sometimes the black tea note is the first to appear and then I get a milk and honey drydown. Today when I wore it, I got a little of the linen note and a soft, musky scent. I'm not getting as much of a spicy sense from this as I was expecting, in all it's incarnations, the ginger and pepper are hard to detect, but I think the ginger/linen combination may be what some people are picking up on as lemon. Trying to sniff out all the notes in this blend is like trying to catch my own personal little white bunny when she wants to play tag :D ! I'm so glad this is in the permanent collection so I can get more of it when this bottle runs out.

Uhh-kaay. I was really looking forward to White Rabbit, but this is a fragrance that I can't wear. The linen note intrigued me, which is really why I was inspired to order the imp.

But I can't wear this milky foody scent. My skin doesn't like foody smells.

I'm so sure that this must smell absolutely wonderful on someone, and I can appreciate the artistry and love that went into the making of this blend. But this isn't something I want to smell like.

I will be so happy to gift this to someone who will adore it.

This is an odd one for me to describe. I wore it to the Museum of Modern Art on Saturday in the blizzard. Not that that makes any difference; it's just that I was indoors and in a crowd.

When I held my wrist up for me to sniff White Rabbit, I wasn't terribly impressed. However, I've never worn a "tea" fragrance before, so I have no basis for comparison.

The strangest thing kept happening to me. As I strolled around the galleries with my family, I would catch a wiff of the most incredibly beautiful "cologne". I stopped myself on several occassions as I was about to ask a handsome man, "What ARE you wearing?"

Guess what, it was ME! I chased the silage of White Rabbit all over the museum before I realized "Hey, it's me that smells so good!"

I don't think I'll use up all of my 5ml but I'd definitely want an Imp of it around.

White Rabbit

In this bottle this is all honey and pepper. I expected a more prominent tea note.

I don't like the smell of this at all and I'm rather nervous about trying it on the skin......

Straight on the skin it hasn't changed at all. I have never been a fan of the smell of honey but I don't think that is what's bothering me. The culprit is the pepper, without a doubt. :P

About ten minutes later I'm still being overwhelmed by the pepper but then out of nowhere a lovely strong waft of lemon tea comes along. This is much better.

Sadly this doesn't last long because it keeps morphing between the lovely tea and the awful pepper. This really is making me feel ill.

I didn't give it a chance to morph again and washed this off after about twenty minutes. I so wish I had got the milk, vanilla and the tea.

This is going off to someone who will hopefully appreciate it.

It's been a long time since I have been upset about a scent not working on me. I really REALLY wanted this one to work. :D :D

I was dying to try this; I love tea, the description sounded so good, and I thought I'd for sure love it.

However, I've tried it twice now, and I put it on and all I can smell is the linen note, which has gone weird and vaguely sickly sweet on my skin. Linen and honey maybe? It's like sticky sweet dryer sheets. No tea, ginger, or pepper. :P Darn.

Edited by isyche

Interesting. It seemed alot like March Hare when it went on. All sweet and fruity and creamy.

after the dry down I got a bit of the honey and pepper and cream. Sadly about fifteen minutes later this had been eaten by my skin.

White Rabbit in the bottle smells faintly of a clean honey scent, almost refined.

When initially put on me, I can smell the honey as the most imediate note, this is followed by the linen notes, after around a minute, I can start to smell the tea notes, which almosts smells of lemon.

It smells like a finely made ice tea, with decadent honey dripping down the side of cup lavishly. I actually quite like lemon scents, so I'll definitely be wearing this again. It smells so lovely and fresh, yet retains the honeyed note.

I'll definitely be keeping this blend.

:P

This is the second time I've tested White Rabbit with the same result, so...

In the vial: tea and cucumber. (This is my first inkling that my brain is miswired.)

On me: smoky black tea with cucumber and spice.

There's nothing sweet or resembling honey, vanilla, or linen in my bottle -- it's just strong tea with cucumbery notes.

I think I need to have my head/nose examined.

In the vial, I can smell the citrus and lighter scents, but as soon as it gets onto my skin the honey and milk really amps up. The black tea and some of the spices are still there in the background, however, keeping it from being too much.

I think this is about this sweetest scent that I'd be willing to keep.

This is the second time I've tested White Rabbit with the same result, so...

In the vial: tea and cucumber.  (This is my first inkling that my brain is miswired.)

No miswiring!

Glowing white starched linen, steaming black tea, and little cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off....

Followed by a tiny amount of milk, and a bit of honey slathered on bread towards the end.

Strange and happy, I suspect White Rabbit may be a good scent for napping.

I had to overcome my aversion to vanilla to try this, because it just sounds like such an appetizing and unusual combination. I'm fairly horrified of anything vaguely foody, but I LOVE tea, and I spill at least three cups' worth a day on myself, so I'm planning to try every single tea scent.

First impression: fortune cookies that are lightly flavoured with orange, dunked in black tea! It doesn't smell like orange, but I think the ginger must be giving it that little kick as it often comes across to me as citrusy. This starts out as a very mild, sweet, gingery vanilla tea. Not too much vanilla -- not enough to make me queasy, the way vanilla usually does. Just enough to add a slightly sweet edge to it. I don't smell any of the pepper or linen in the bottle, but when it hits my skin all kinds of interesting things happen. The lemony scent comes out more -- I think the ginger is playing tricks on me again -- and I think that the thing that takes this out of being too sweet is probably the light crackle of white pepper. I don't get the linen until drydown, when there's a vaguely crisp, fresh scent underneath, and the full, rich scent of lemony tea comes out. I feel like I'm in a tea shop sampling all the different containers full of tea, and they're all blending together on the tip of my nose!

This is much sweeter than my usual favorites, since I go for wood, incense and very heavy, dark scents, but the list of ingredients in this is too much to pass up. Running over all of them in my head is a delight, as I envision a table set for tea, and the teacup is running away from the creamer while a crisp ginger cookie dances with a jar of honey. This is a real wrist-sniffer...each stage reveals a new marvelous layer, and you keep coming back for more to see what happens next! It's an adventure, that's for sure. I don't know what it smells like to other people when I'm wearing it -- probably the lemony ginger smell and the milky sweetness more than anything -- but I certainly enjoy watching the story unfold as it dries.

ETA: I never remembered to edit this to say that for some reason White Rabbit wound up scampering away from me. My initial impressions were replaced by a strong scent of burning plastic and sour milk and...I don't know, I'd like to try it again some day to see if my nose changes again but I really dislike the "milk" note so it was probably never meant to be.

Edited by sarada