Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The search for the perfect Violet....

I don't have altogether too many violet-based scents, but I do have both Nocturne and Queen Gertrude, and violet is one of my favorite notes.

Nocturne smells almost identical to the violet candies I've had before, no joke. I'm not sure what about it goes so sweet on me, but it seriously smells like violet candy. I really adore it, actually; it's not the strongest scent in the world, but it's so damned pretty that I would like to get a bottle of it. It also seems to give me nice dreams if I put it on before I sleep, which is definitely a plus, in my opinion. It's dreamy and soft and I would really recommend it, honestly, if you like violets. And if I could translate a scent into imagery, this would be something like a desaturated lilac-colored fog drifting over a hazy meadow of violets.

Then Queen Gertrude is definitely sharper, by far. I do like it, but it's almost intimidating. In some ways, it's very similar to Nocturne, but it definitely has more of a bite to it, I'd say. This one I'd describe more as a field of violets, frosted over, just in sight as the sun's about to rise. It has an edge to it, somehow, and while I wouldn't wear it as much as Nocturne, I do still definitely like it.

I also have a vial of Bruised Violet Compound, but I've yet to try it- I'll try to get around to it tomorrow, if I remember.

Yeah I think Faith and Bruised Violet Compound are my two favorite BPAL violets, with Le Serpent coming in a solid third. I still need to try Marie.

I absolutely love Sybaris for violets. I need to dig through my imp boxes to see what of these others I have to revisit.

I don't have altogether too many violet-based scents, but I do have both Nocturne and Queen Gertrude, and violet is one of my favorite notes.

Nocturne smells almost identical to the violet candies I've had before, no joke. I'm not sure what about it goes so sweet on me, but it seriously smells like violet candy. I really adore it, actually; it's not the strongest scent in the world, but it's so damned pretty that I would like to get a bottle of it. It also seems to give me nice dreams if I put it on before I sleep, which is definitely a plus, in my opinion. It's dreamy and soft and I would really recommend it, honestly, if you like violets. And if I could translate a scent into imagery, this would be something like a desaturated lilac-colored fog drifting over a hazy meadow of violets.

Then Queen Gertrude is definitely sharper, by far. I do like it, but it's almost intimidating. In some ways, it's very similar to Nocturne, but it definitely has more of a bite to it, I'd say. This one I'd describe more as a field of violets, frosted over, just in sight as the sun's about to rise. It has an edge to it, somehow, and while I wouldn't wear it as much as Nocturne, I do still definitely like it.

I also have a vial of Bruised Violet Compound, but I've yet to try it- I'll try to get around to it tomorrow, if I remember.

I second Nocturne, a pretty violet, not a great persistence or envol, but it's nice, warm and gentle and reminds me Meterorites by Guerlain both the parfume and the powder

Fleurette’s Purple Snails is pretty great—a worthy addition to this violet thread! It's the most violet-y blend I've tried since Faith.

Oh, very useful thread for me. I am in search of a new violet scent from BPAL now that TucaTuca from Lush is discontinued...and besides, can give a rubber smell.Thank you!

Check out Wings of Azazel, should be easy to find an imp. Violet with resins. For sweet, violet candy, La Belfana or Faith. My absolute favorite violet however is Darkling Thrush. Every year I hope for a resurrection. If you don't mind gardenia, Le Serpent Qui Danse is violet plus vanilla!

Edited by sprout

Grove Street Cemetery, from dark delicacies, is a beautiful violet that isn't sweet.

faith is lovely and la befana is fun, but sometimes I don't want any sugar with my violet, which is why i'm thankful that this baby exists.

also since Carnaval Diabolique is now back in town, violet lovers should keep their eyes peeled for Faeu Boulanger.

she's a gorgeous violet perfume, not sweet, feminine, lovely. on the cusp of being an aquatic but there was nothing soapy in the slightest about her. nor was she swampy or fungally smelling, so don't let the words "mushroom" or "bog" scare you. FB smells like the ghost of the most wonderful perfume straight out of a mystery or memory. like the love story of a noir film, with the 35mm stock tinted in tones of violet and leafy green.

I want Ultraviolet to come back...WAHHHH! :cry2:

:laugh: All kidding aside, it's like one of my favorite violet blends. So fresh and lovely. I hope it's not gone for good. People, go join the waitlist en masse so we can get a restock on this one.

If anyone is looking for something that's like Hope and Faith all at once (or at least how I imagine them to smell, since I have a bottle with supply issues in my order with the Twins... going to be waiting for a while to test those), Wanda had a very interesting drydown on me. She started as sweet white tea with rose petals and ended as a lovely, floral violet grounded by leather and wine. And since Wanda is GC, well! :D

My testing notes say to watch out for headaches (the wine, for me) and that it had pretty decent throw.

If anyone is looking for something that's like Hope and Faith all at once (or at least how I imagine them to smell, since I have a bottle with supply issues in my order with the Twins... going to be waiting for a while to test those), Wanda had a very interesting drydown on me. She started as sweet white tea with rose petals and ended as a lovely, floral violet grounded by leather and wine. And since Wanda is GC, well! :D

My testing notes say to watch out for headaches (the wine, for me) and that it had pretty decent throw.

I personally didn't care for Wanda. I don't like Whip either. But I love Faith and Hope.