Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The search for the perfect Violet....

I really like Marie. It has violet and rose--the rose is very subtle. The best word I know to describe it is "flirty".

I've tried many many violet-containing scents and the only one that was stellar on me was Ultraviolet. My skin not-so-kindly took a disliking (or was indifferent) to Bluebeard, Fallen, Faustus, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Libertine, Morgause, Nocturne, The Raven, Sybaris, Veil, Venice, Wanda and Wings Of Azrael. Can you tell that I'm on a question for another violet scent???

I'm holding out hope that I'll love Marie, Queen Gertrude or Utrennyaya.

Hi Melpomene

Nocturne isn't my second favorite oil for no reason! I can't believe it doesn't get more love on the forum. The description includes the word "somber", but I don't get that at all. I get sweet, dreamy, wistful, summer-nights-in-the-woods-wearing-diaphanous-blue-silk, but there's nothing sad about this scent. I think it's the perfect violet for me (although I haven't tried the Single Note because I find the blends more evocative and splendid) because of the addition of dripping sugary tuberose.

Anyhoo, if that's not your bag, and it sounds like you've tried a few, I second Veil and Queen Gertrude. Veil is a gorgeous violet because of the addition of sandalwood and other less sweet flowers, and Gertrude is a lovely softer violet- swaying with the wind like the character.

I love how Elizabeth blends different notes because you can learn to identify them and the other notes that show them off and complement them to perfection. The addiction will never end.

Hi Melpomene

Nocturne isn't my second favorite oil for no reason!  I can't believe it doesn't get more love on the forum.  The description includes the word "somber", but I don't get that at all.  I get sweet, dreamy, wistful, summer-nights-in-the-woods-wearing-diaphanous-blue-silk, but there's nothing sad about this scent.  I think it's the perfect violet for me (although I haven't tried the Single Note because I find the blends more evocative and splendid) because of the addition of dripping sugary tuberose. 

Anyhoo, if that's not your bag, and it sounds like you've tried a few, I second Veil and Queen Gertrude.  Veil is a gorgeous violet because of the addition of sandalwood and other less sweet flowers, and Gertrude is a lovely softer violet- swaying with the wind like the character.

I love how Elizabeth blends different notes because you can learn to identify them and the other notes that show them off and complement them to perfection.  The addiction will never end.

Silly question: is there any violet single note scent? I just saw your post that mentioned single note and I wonder if you were talking about a single note violet scent.

I have revised my "violet progression" chart, from "strong" to "sweet", based on empirical evidence:

Lex Taleonis-->Saturnalia-->Ultraviolet-->Veil-->Wings of Azrael-->Marie

I :P Nocturne! Ultraviolet is chilly and lovely, while there's a lot of African Violet in Le Serpent Qui Dance, sometimes it's just not what I'm in the mood for. I want the little violets with their happy faces, the ones you find in the woods back home...

Oro

frozenviolets-

I believe there once was a violet single note, but don't quote me on that, it might have been lilac. Anyhoo, I already put my foot in my mouth by saying Kumiho was discontinued when it isn't- so the only thing you can trust me on is my good intentions!

I'm all about the violets as well. I blame Lush for that :P.

My ultimate favorite would have to be Saturnalia with The Raven coming in at a close second. Other good ones are Nocturne, Morgause, and Bluebeard. I haven't tried Veil or Marie yet but I have high hopes for those as well.

frozenviolets-

I believe there once was a violet single note, but don't quote me on that, it might have been lilac.  Anyhoo, I already put my foot in my mouth by saying Kumiho was discontinued when it isn't- so the only thing you can trust me on is my good intentions!

There was one for both violet and lilac.

i love most of teh violet scents you mentioned and yet ultraviolet didn't work on me, neither did marie, so maybe marie will work for u?

frozenviolets-

I believe there once was a violet single note, but don't quote me on that, it might have been lilac.  Anyhoo, I already put my foot in my mouth by saying Kumiho was discontinued when it isn't- so the only thing you can trust me on is my good intentions!

Oh no problem. I was just curious :P. Thanks for replying.

There was one for both violet and lilac.

I can't believe I missed them. I love both violet and lilac. If the violet one note would be still being sold, I'm sure I'd go for that one.

All these scents that include violet seem to smell wonderfully. I think that's why I am so undecided. First I wanted Nocturne, then I thought Queen Gertrude...then Marie and finally Veil. I am almost sure I will end up ordering a set of imps, though I also believe I should go for my first choice: Nocturne. Ok, now I am babbling.

I can't wait to get my Ultraviolet and Utrennyaya. The violet blends found here are incredible. Nocturne is my violet when I am a mellow girl, when I want more presence I switch to Saturnalia, which definitely anonunces itself and me!

Nocturne is an excellent classic violet scent, I'm wearing it now. On me the lilac in it acts as a background note, it's not strong headachey lilac. Reminds me of an Avon perfume from years ago called Raining Violets. Love it.

ETA:

Faustus was a freebie imp and it has grown on me more and more. The violets are deeper and sweeter, sort of candied rather than fresh violets, and the frankincense/cinnamon combination has a really unique resiny warmth. I wouldn't have thought all these notes would work together and never would have ordered Faustus myself based on its description, but I like it a lot. It's really comforting on a cold day, feels cozy to put on before bed, and for some reason soothes a queasy tummy for me. I've had the imp for several months, when it was new I think I got more of the violet and the spiciness seems to have got stronger as it ages. Really doesn't smell masculine at all on me.

Edited by Rosabella

I am currently trying to figure out which violet scent to order - First I went with Old Sybaris, but then I thought "no, this contains some chocolaty notes and I already put some chocolaty scents on my list to order" :P . Now, I am fluctuating between Marie and Nocturne, because they seem like the most mellow, feminine violets of the bunch based on the notes, but I am still uncertain which one to choose.

I love lilacs, so I am biased towards Nocturne but then again Marie sounds lovely too. Any thoughts on the difference between these two scents? :D

I'm another Nocturne lover. And after some of the words here, I'm definitely looking into Saturnalia, Ultraviolet, and Faustus.

Marie turned to Rose on me, and the Raven didn't work at all (powdery generic floral) on me.

I've already tried Saturnalia and it became more vetiver than violets, and I wanted violets with vetiver in the background rather than reverse :P . From the reviews of Faustus I think it might be more masculine than I'd like but then again, I love cinnamon so curiosity might get the better of me. I never really considered Ultraviolet because it contains mint and I am not a mint lover, but there does seem to be a lot of fondness for Ultraviolet on this board :D .

Ah well, I definetly think I am going to try Nocturne, it really sounds lovely.

I just tried a bnch of violet perfumes. I found Saturnalia was very vetiver and The Raven was very musky on me but Sybaris was almost a pure violet smell. Yum!

Try this: Penitence dried down for about half an hour, then add Marie on top of it. Penitence cuts the rose in Marie, leaving you with a very rich violet with a hint of myrrh underneath. Delicious!

That sounds very nice - I would never have thought of that combination myself, now I guess I must get some Penitence mmm!

another vote for sybaris. just WOW. i get mostly violet with just a touch of powdery, faint incense. it's quite lovely.

another vote for sybaris. just WOW. i get mostly violet with just a touch of powdery, faint incense. it's quite lovely.

Yeah...Sybaris is VIOLETSOMGVIOLETS! :D This is the first BPAL violet scent I've ever smelled, and I don't know how well it stacks up, unfortunately...I know that it must be some sort of bouquet, because violet EO is obscenely expensive and nearly impossible to obtain, but I haven't even smelled real violet flowers recently so...:P...yeah, I have nothing to compare it to! :D

There is a violet SN up on ebay though--fresh from the lab!