Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The search for the perfect Violet....

Bruised Violet Compound went BO on me after about 5 minutes. On me, I wouldn't liken it to Bathos. Honestly. . in all the violets blends I've tried, and it hasn't been THAT many. . but enough. . Faith is the most like the violet in Bathos. It just has a major sweetness to it, and it isn't as 'sharp' as Bathos, but it layers beautifully and complimentary.

I'm still on the prowl for the perfect violet with BPAL though. . so I'm not counting Faith as the be-all-end-all yet.

So, I am sitting here adding items to my cart, and I am on the Lab's site reading through every description of every scent looking for vanilla/sugar and violet.

That is all I want to smell like.

I remember reading in the Neil Gaimen section that one has vanilla, violet, and something else, but reading the reviews, most ppl are getting mainly violet.

I am still reading over the Lab's descriptions, but can someone tell me if there is a scent that matches my needs?

I am trying to find one quickly, since I have broken down and decided to get a bottle of Lillith's Tea Party, and this scent comes down soon.

Does this scent even exist? LOL

Try Violet Ray (White mint, purple musk, violet, lilac, ylang ylang, lavender moss, and sandalwood). I know it doesn't have sugar or vanilla listed, but on me, it's this beautiful sugared/candied violet scent.

My absolute favorite vanilla & violet scent from bpal is Staged Moon Landing, but that one isn't available right now. I'd suggest finding some on the forum sales if you have your heart set on a vanilla sugary violet, though.

And, as has already been mentioned, there's Faith for a sugared violet.

I'm in search of a violet perfume like The Eau de Parfum Violettes de Toulouse.

Anyone has an idea about a bpal oil resembles to Violettes de Toulouse ?

Here is the description:

Top Notes of: Fruity Floral, Jasmine, Spicy Bergamot, Absolute of Violet Leaf

Middle Notes of: Floral, Cyclamon, Almond Tree, Flowers, Lilac and Violet

Base Notes of: Woody Floral, Iris, Sandalwood, and Sweet Musk

waiting for your recommendations :wub2:

So, I am sitting here adding items to my cart, and I am on the Lab's site reading through every description of every scent looking for vanilla/sugar and violet.

That is all I want to smell like.

Does this scent even exist? LOL

Have you tried Le Serpent Qui Danse yet? I was definitely pleasantly surprised by this one!

Hi everybody! Violet is one of the fragrances-of-my heart. Thinking about my next order I'm searching for a BPAL that resembles the violet fragrance I have in my mind: a deep, creamy and dark violet, not green and not too tender. a little bit sugared and woody enough, but not too sugared and not too woody: I'd like the violet fragrance to be predominat. If is there a BPAL like this, please let me know so that I can put It in my next order! thanks

Ahh, I love violet. It makes me sad that it's not the longest-lasting oil. (I had a bottle of Faith that went bad once. Not saying all violet does that- it depends on the blend.)

Hmm. I don't know much woody violet. Saturnalia and Faustus come to mind, but those are probably too woody for your purposes. (And Saturnalia has vetiver which bothers some people.)

I like The Raven. It has sandalwood, and the ylang-ylang isn't exactly sugar, but it does sweeten it a little. It does have black musk, so be warned. But it's a true violet- violet to me, with a little bluish tinge from the Iris. Sadly the sandalwood makes it dry rather than creamy.

Some people really like Marie, though to me the tea rose takes up more space than the violet does.

As far as LE's Silver Phoenix may be too delicate for what you're looking for, but it's a lovely dewy violet-and-silver scent.

It's also hard to find, but the past Yule The Darkling Thrush may work (I've never smelled it) The hope of springtime penetrating winter darkness. Snow, darkness, and icy air illuminated by the thrush's song: warm amber, soft orris, and melancholy violet.

Really, your best bet may be to layer a woody scent with Faith.

Edited by patina

For me, The Unsteady Governess, after morphing a million times, is a nice soft delicate violet blend. It really is lovely, tho very soft. It is more like. ahhhhh violet, rather than BAM I'M VIOLET AAARRRGGGG!!!!

thanks everybody, I'm reading all the topic step by step (It takes a little time because -as you can easily see- my english is so poor), learning too many things I didn't know and planning my next order. (special thanks to Patina)

Edited by prisca

I am looking for BPAL scents that smell like violet candy, e.g., Flavigny Violet Pastilles, Choward’s Violet Candy, etc. Any recommendations?

Sybaris. Definately. The tonka gives it a sweet, candylike smell. Or Faith, which has sugar.

I get a sugared violet/candied violet feel from Silver Phoenix (Limited Edition - Opalescent orris shimmering through a blend of mallow, moonflower, wild pear, iris, starwort, juniper, and mugwort), I Died For Beauty (General Catalog - The Venusian splendor of ylang ylang and violet stirred by hyssop, frankincense, and grave loam), and Violet Ray (Discontinued - White mint, purple musk, violet, lilac, ylang ylang, lavender moss, and sandalwood). I think there's another that I've tried recently, but I can't remember what it is offhand.

ETA: Oh! I remembered. Utrennyaya (General Catalog - Osmanthus, Damascus rose, violet, delphinium, white mint, palmarosa and white sandalwood). I haven't actually skin-tested it, but when I sniffed it, it had a feel similar to Violet Ray.

Edited by plainjean

Hi,

Anyone has an idea about the intensity of violet in Lucretia?

Could it be compared to Raven?

I am still in search of a dark violet note ^_^

Hi,

Hi,

I haven't smell Lucretia but Raven is a musky violet.

They have also common notes like iris. Lucretia sounds a bit woody floral.

Hi, newb here! Hopefully I am posting in the right place. Does anyone have a suggestion for a violet scent similar to The Raven, without the black musk? I tried The Raven on right after my order arrived and it seemed perfect, with a whole lot of violet, but a week later I am getting a lot less violet and a ton of black musk. Sigh. I guess I understand why so many people wait a few days before trying their oils on.

Right now I have Nocturne, Veil, Brusque Violet and Queen Gertrude on my list of imps to try.

Thank for your help!

Hi, newb here! Hopefully I am posting in the right place. Does anyone have a suggestion for a violet scent similar to The Raven, without the black musk? I tried The Raven on right after my order arrived and it seemed perfect, with a whole lot of violet, but a week later I am getting a lot less violet and a ton of black musk. Sigh. I guess I understand why so many people wait a few days before trying their oils on.

Right now I have Nocturne, Veil, Brusque Violet and Queen Gertrude on my list of imps to try.

Thank for your help!

I think out of your list, Brusque Violet is the most similar to the Raven. I found it a bit cooler (I think it might have a touch of mint?) but other than that they are very similar. Veil and Nocturne both seemed kind of pale and weak compared to the robust violet in the Raven. Unfortunately I don't have any recs to add, I've been searching for the perfect bpal violet and the Raven is the best I've found. I think you'll really like Brusque Violet, good luck!

Oh, very useful thread for me. I am in search of a new violet scent from BPAL now that TucaTuca from Lush is discontinued...and besides, can give a rubber smell.Thank you!

Is there anything with violet and anise?

Perhaps La Befana (Yule '07 & '13: Candy charcoal, winter lilies, parma violet, a sprig of cypress, a poof of chimney dust, and holiday sweets.)?

Some of the reviews mention getting licorice from the charcoal candy. On me it's mostly candied violet with a hint of berries/jam.

This & Faith are my favorite violet scents, though sometimes I like Le Serpent Qui Danse, too.

Edited by alterosen