Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The search for the perfect Violet....

Is there a violet that also has a baby powdery smell, or one that also has a touch of a lemon smell?

Le Serpent Qui Danse is "Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia." If you're okay with searching the swap forums The Attrocious Attic has a great vanilla/violet combo and is also a little powdery and soft.

Venice is a blend of "lemon, red currant, wisteria, red rose petals, heady jasmine, Florentine orris root, waterlily, red sandalwood, violet plum, and violet leaf." The orris has a fairly violet-y vibe to it and the citrus is very strong and bright in this one.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, but Arkham turns straight to violet on me in about 2 seconds even though I don't smell it if I sniff the bottle.

Depending on your vetiver tolerance you could try Saturnalia (Violet deepened with vetiver) or Bluebeard (Violet, lavender, white musk, and vetiver.). If you have no vetiver tolerance or don't find it sexy I would suggest Nocturne (Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose) or The Raven (Violet and neroli mingled with iris, white sandalwood and dark musk).

Also...

BRUSQUE VIOLET (Violet petal, violet leaf, osmanthus, orris, mint, and opoponax.)

From GC Mad Tea Party

`I never saw anybody that looked stupider,' a Violet said, so suddenly, that Alice quite jumped; for it hadn't spoken before.

`Hold your tongue!' cried the Tiger-lily. `As if you ever saw anybody! You keep your head under the leaves, and snore away there, till you know no more what's going on in the world, that if you were a bud!'

Pleeeeeeze, Beth, bring back La Befana for Yule. :thud: It is my favorite violet: candied but dark and smokey (with no vetiver or mint, which I really don't pull off well). The Raven is my 2nd choice.

Edited by lookingglass

Pleeeeeeze, Beth, bring back La Befana for Yule. :thud: It is my favorite violet: candied but dark and smokey (with no vetiver or mint, which I really don't pull off well). The Raven is my 2nd choice.

yes. please. i have one bottle of la befana left, it is so incredibly beautiful. interestingly enough, the raven is also my 2nd choice. :D

yes. please. i have one bottle of la befana left, it is so incredibly beautiful. interestingly enough, the raven is also my 2nd choice. :D

Are we scent sisters, I wonder?

Are we scent sisters, I wonder?

i was also wondering this... :lol:

I'm a bit confused about different violet types. Parma violet, african violet... What is the difference in the smell ? Also, it's said that there is no violet flower absolute. None. Not since the 19th century when ionone was synthesized, one of the very first synthetic florals. It is just too expensive to harvest all those tiny little flowers which do not produce much apparently. :huh: So now all the violet oils are sythtetic....

wow - Darkling Thrush.

I, an avowed violet hater, and distruster of orris, found a beautiful violet/orris blend. I love it and it loves me back =)

When I first put it on, I made the violet face and started pulling up my swaps thread. But it went away JUST quick enough and its gorgeousness on my skin.

Ok, so violet loves me...yay! I've got the Raven and it's pretty and nice and all that but leaves me wanting more. In fact what I'm really wanting is violet + dirt, is there a discontinued, LE or otherwise existing violet\dirt scent? The closest I can come up with in the GC is Bruised Violet Compound which may or may not work as I intend.

So, the lab sent me a frimp of Sybaris. Sybaris depresses me, for lo, the powdery violets of awesome vanish into... vaguely Snake Oil-ish spiced vanilla. And it isn't even a very good spiced vanilla, since it doesn't blend well with my natural scent. (vanilla itself, bad. heliotrope, similar but not as bad. tonka bean, sliiiiiightly better. amber, good.)

I want the powdery violets back! To stay this time!

BPAL's vetiver, sandalwood and leather notes tend to anchor scents into a "skin scent" for me. Carnation and clove are good, tho probably not essential for this. Rose is probably not a good idea because my skin tends to like it a lot. Saturnalia is fairly obvious. But what else?

So far I have tried Saturnalia, Violet Ray, Bluebeard, Ultra Violet, Nocture, Le Serpent Qui Danse and Faith and I have to say that my favorite is Faith. She's a little light for me and I have found that pairing her with Bathos makes an intoxicating combination. While I do appreciate the violet in the others I listed (and am still on the hunt to try more from this thread), I am satisfied with the spicy violet sweetness I get with from Faith + Bathos combo.

Ok....I have been on a violet kick recently myself.

Can anyone recommend an oil that smells like Bathos by Lush? I haven't tried Faith yet, how does she compare to Bathos?

With Lush, I can't go purley by note listings because I've found thier ingredients smell very different than BPALs (particularly with jasmine. Lush jasmine is the only jasmine I can tolerate.)

Recs? :D

Monster, have you tried Bruised Violet Compound?

Or how about The Raven? I haven't tried Faith, so can't compare that.