Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
supervillainess

Old books... Books, paper, libraries

The first scent to pop into my head; Clio! If you can get ahold of any, that is. ;) I cherish my one imp I have.

Her scent is the warm, dry parchment of scrolls, lavender for critical thought and analysis, the solidity of heavy woods, ornery patchouli and glib benzoin, and superstar-splashed orange and amber.

I'm a keen reader and tend to haunt old bookshops and libraries. I'm looking for something that - well maybe doesn't really smell exactly like that, but inspired by them maybe.

I've tried Dee but I found it too subdued and lacking in sparkle or edge. I considered Philologus but reading the reviews I think I'd find it too masculine. A friend let me try Misktonic University but I found the coffee overwhelming. Any other ideas? (other elements I enjoy are aquatics, green earth/dirt, vetiver, and foodies).

If you can find some of The Lurid Library, it's pretty good. It can be a little bit masculine, though. I have a more incensey bottle and a more cologne bottle.

Some people get books from Penny Dreadful (which, obviously, is book inspired), and it also has that dirt note you said you like.

Personally, I got a somewhat library-ish feel off of No. 93 Engine, but I doubt that's the norm.

Edited by bellumed

This might be an odd suggestion, but The Antikythera Mechanism, on me, has an oddly academic/bookish sort of feel. The vanilla is very dark and a bit musty, so it reminds me of the smell of old books (which release vanillin or a similar chemical, if I remember correctly?), and the woods are like solid old bookcases. And I don't know if it's a chemistry thing or what, but Czernobog ends up feeling like a cross between a metaphysical shop and a used-book store. Not precisely, in terms of actual smell, but it evokes the image for me. It's mostly musks, myrrh, and vetiver.

I think there's a thread around here somewhere for blends that smell like books - might be worth searching for.

eta: Here it is: http://www.bpal.org/topic/10368-old-books-books-paper-libraries/

Edited by Dusk

I suggest Ü - A mélange of balsams, leathers, and raw vanilla designed to evoke images of unearthed secrets and dusty, ancient libraries. It is a retail only blend which you can pick up from the Mutter Museum webstore, or look for bottle/decants on the sales forum.

Highly recommend Clio, if you can find any: "Her scent is the warm, dry parchment of scrolls, lavender for critical thought and analysis, the solidity of heavy woods, ornery patchouli and glib benzoin, and superstar-splashed orange and amber."

And of course, the Buggere Alle This Bible (Neil Gaiman, Good Omens). Very much a book scent, but unimpable.

Definitely the unfortunately discontinued,

Bony Moon.

It smells like the essence of a library to me.

White sandalwood and dry cedar represent the distinct aroma of books and shelves.

The lunar herbs, lend to that church-like quiet , and the countless hands smoothing over page and cover...

Seance and Ouija are both more generalized "cool old stuff" scents with an indoorsy feel, although not specifically literary.

I love the smell of old books/bookstores/libraries, but I often find that the scent doesn't work on my skin, just doesn't suit me although I love it elsewhere. If you find the same thing, maybe check out some of the drier rose scents for the "feel."

Herr Drosselmeyer, perhaps? Doesn't smell of books, but it feels like being curled up in a rocking chair with a blanket and book, in front of a fireplace on a winter night.

Also, Mr. Ibis. It has a parchment note similar to Philologus and Miskatonic University, but is also lightly resin-sweet and my favourite out of all the parchment/book-themed scents.

Edited by Vega

I heard Miskatonic University does have more coffee hints to it, but I got an aged one (2004) that smells more towards the "oakwood" tones. Do the newer ones often carry stronger scents related to the Irish coffee, or is that just my body chemistry fooling with me?

And also pertaining to bookish scents (opinion-wise), which has the strongest throws and/or staying power? Mainly asking this because most scents seem to soak in and fade fast on me.

Necrobumping this to add recommendations for a couple of newer book scents!

This Yule we had Picture Books in Winter and Whispers of Monstrous Things.

Although I mostly got cucumber sushi from Whispers of Monstrous Things myself, I thought I'd mention it here. :smile:

Picture Books in Winter, on the other hand, is a very beautiful and comforting, slightly foody book scent with a good dose of leather, too. It has been my great favorite this Yule!

I would say it shares some vibes with Miskatonic University, but it is still a very different scent.

Anyway, just wanted to add those to the discussion. :smile:

Necrobumping this to add recommendations for a couple of newer book scents!

This Yule we had Picture Books in Winter and Whispers of Monstrous Things.

Picture Books in Winter, on the other hand, is a very beautiful and comforting, slightly foody book scent with a good dose of leather, too. It has been my great favorite this Yule!

I would say it shares some vibes with Miskatonic University, but it is still a very different scent.

Anyway, just wanted to add those to the discussion. :smile:

yay for Picture Books in Winter love. that is also a Yule favorite of mine.

bumping this as my bottle of picture books in winter comes to an end. :cry2:

I was considering investing in a bottle of either buggre alle this bible or paranorman's the book.

is anyone able to offer a little scent insight to help me choose? either to compare the two against each other or compare them against picture books?

I know lurid library is another book smell that does come up in the forum sales, so comments on that one are welcome as well.

thank you! :wub2:

edited to also ask about TREVOR BRUTTENHOLM!

Edited by annemathematics

Hello, fellow book lover! :D

I can unfortunately only comment on The Lurid Library, but I would also be very interested in any insight others can provide on the other book scents annemathematics listed!

I was expecting a decant of The Book from a forumite, but I fear it has been lost in the mail.... :(

The Lurid Library, to me, is a very pure paper scent, a little smoky perhaps. It's heavy on the dust, anyway. It's more a book scent than Picture Books in Winter, which on me was mostly caramel with a sub-note of leatherbound books.

As a side note, there is also Aziraphale, which I haven't tried yet either, but from the notes listed it sounds like a nice book scent, too: Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

Where is the love for The Book!? It's brilliant, hauntingly lovely, and spot on!

Edited by lookingglass