Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
supervillainess

Old books... Books, paper, libraries

I'ma guess this should go in recs, but it's really more of a "Which thread did I read that in?" kind of post.

I read something somewhere by someone new (I'm thinking maybe in the lj comm) asking "Hey, why don't we have any scents that smell like dusty old libraries?" Which kinda got me thinking Yeah! Why not? Because ancient books are my single most favourite smell on earth. I sometimes open up my old copies just to take a big whiff. I'd have asked this a long time ago because I tend to not think of books in terms of personal fragrance, BUT this doesn't mean I can't make absolutely everything else smell like that, right?

Bonus score for me then because someone posted in reply that "Well, XBPAL actually smells a lot like old books."

And of course I can't remember what that post was. :P Anyone else happen to read this?

Orrr, any new suggestions? :D

Hmm, Shollin said Kweku Anansi reminded her of an old library. :P

I don't know if that's any help at all, but it's the first thing that came to mind when I thought about where I'd read someone saying that.

I'm still looking for you, though; if I come up with anything else I'll let you know. :D

I remember reading something like that, but I'm not sure what it was for. I want to say The Apothecary, though

From old reviews of mine:

Scherezade

"When I first smelled it, I couldn't help thinking that it reminded me of an occult bookstore, with the heavy incence smells and the strong, overpowering musk. When I handed it to my sister's boyfriend (who had no clue who Scherezade was, or what sort of ingredients were in the perfume), he told me that it smelled like 'old books.'"

The Hermit

"All of the other reviews said something about old books (and while I love the old books smell, I'm not sure I want to smell like I'd been stuffed into a library for several years myself); but this smells like herbs, almost like a sunlit garden."

Shadow, talking about Seance and Archana

"This one is so strange on me. Right out of the vial, it's sharp and biting, almost like cinnamon, but it isn't red or brown, it's like a really sharp dark green. Slowly that fades and I get the old, dusty soft smell that I got from Arcana, the one that reminds me of old books, wood chests and dusty attics. I really love this one and will definitely wear it more.

Oh, this one is more feminine than Arcana - that one is more like a wizard's tower and this one is more like a Victorian lady's attic. "

actually a lot of ones for seance mention smelling like "old *something*"

I'ma guess this should go in recs, but it's really more of a "Which thread did I read that in?" kind of post.

I read something somewhere by someone new (I'm thinking maybe in the lj comm) asking "Hey, why don't we have any scents that smell like dusty old libraries?" Which kinda got me thinking Yeah! Why not? Because ancient books are my single most favourite smell on earth. I sometimes open up my old copies just to take a big whiff. I'd have asked this a long time ago because I tend to not think of books in terms of personal fragrance, BUT this doesn't mean I can't make absolutely everything else smell like that, right?

Bonus score for me then because someone posted in reply that "Well, XBPAL actually smells a lot like old books."

And of course I can't remember what that post was. :P Anyone else happen to read this?

Orrr, any new suggestions? :D

I think that was my post on the lj community... here's the link, although the pertinent part was:

Hello, my fellow BPAL enthusiasts.

While I wait for my forum access to go through, I thought I'd ask a question here. I've hopped around the reviews section of the forum as well as the main BPAL website, and haven't found any specific references to a scent that evokes old books. I was lucky enough to get to attend a sniffing party, and we discussed how much we would all like something that has that particular association.

Does anybody get that impression- paper, leather, a little dust- from any scent or scents? I bet BPAL could do a great Hell's Librarian oil.

Thanks!

I was waiting for my forum request to be approved but couldn't contain my curiousity. Supervillainess, thanks for bringing this up here- it totally slipped my mind.

Recommendations from the lj thread included Ouija, Hellfire, The Apothecary, Arcana, Severin, The Hermit, Seance, Gaukeo, Scherezade, and Le Serpent Qui Danse.

A big thank you for all those recommendations! I can't wait to smell like a Library- any will make me happy, although I have a special fondness for Lucien's collection, The Beast's (from Robin McKinley's Beauty) and the Library of Unseen University.

No bananas, though, please.

(Ook.)

I think that was my post on the lj community... here's the link, although the pertinent part was:

Hello, my fellow BPAL enthusiasts.

While I wait for my forum access to go through, I thought I'd ask a question here. I've hopped around the reviews section of the forum as well as the main BPAL website, and haven't found any specific references to a scent that evokes old books. I was lucky enough to get to attend a sniffing party, and we discussed how much we would all like something that has that particular association.

Does anybody get that impression- paper, leather, a little dust- from any scent or scents? I bet BPAL could do a great Hell's Librarian oil.

Thanks!

I was waiting for my forum request to be approved but couldn't contain my curiousity. Supervillainess, thanks for bringing this up here- it totally slipped my mind.

Recommendations from the lj thread included Ouija, Hellfire, The Apothecary, Arcana, Severin, The Hermit, Seance, Gaukeo, Scherezade, and Le Serpent Qui Danse.

A big thank you for all those recommendations! I can't wait to smell like a Library- any will make me happy, although I have a special fondness for the Lucien's collection, The Beast's (from Robin McKinley's Beauty) and the Library of Unseen University.

No bananas, though, please.

(Ook.)

Yes - that's it! Thank you. :P

Gotta run to the grocery now, but I am SO coming back to read this in detail. I knew I wasn't crazy!

Eee, eee, I finally remembered which one reminds me most of old books!

Kweku Anansi reminds me of both old books and ancient tea. And it's just so damn lovely if you can get someone to swap with you for it, since it's an up-and-coming scent. :P

I've never tried it, but Cathedral might have that "old" feeling based on what I read in the reviews.

Cathedral's like a crumbling stone cathedral, not very libraryish to me, but it does smell "old" in at least one way. :P

Guest ExquisiteSiren

Hellfire smells like a very expensive looking library..with leather bound books...to me anyway

Miskatonic University definitely smells like old books to me. It starts as a gorgeous rich coffee then turns very dusty. Clio does that too - fresh lavender, then old books. :P

I can only add much love to the old books and dust note in Misk U ~ and it's *the* perfect scent to wear to the library! It enhances the experience. I'm so happy it's GC!

Edited by Browneyes

I looked for this but could not find it and started this new thread.

I KNOW that Beth really does amazing things with the smell of paper but would love to hear people weigh in on types of paper smells and compare and contrast all the paper scents.

The one I have tried is Miskatonic U which on me smells almost entirely like mildewed paper. So much so that even though I love it I kind of get psychosomatic scratchy throat. It thrills me because it is so real and so creepy but there is kind of a hint of rotting choir robes in there and scary church. On me it is extremely Lovecraftian but as far as more everyday wear, I am looking for old books that are not so mouldy. I have been leaning toward Aziriphale or The Buggre Alle but just thought I might as well ask about the range of paper because I love hearing people's recommendations.

I'd add Licwiglunga to that list. Behind the pomegranate and herbs, there's a strong papery smell -- not the booky one from Miskatonic University/Aziraphale/The Buggre Alle This Bible, more of a papyrus-paper smell. It's extremely interesting.

You know, I was just thinking about this... I'm really intrigued by the "paper" scent. I don't get any paper from Misk. U., only creamy, sweet coffee. I'm hoping age will bring out some of the other notes.

I have Bugger Alle This Bible and Aziraphale on my list to try but I'll have to add Dee too...

The Lurid Library, The incense-tinged scent of forbidden tomes and the musk-laden remnants of infernal servants. It's a Halloween release from two years back, but shouldn't be that hard to track down. It is the rich, smooth, thick first unprinted page of an old-book, creamy and slightly dusty and all paper, all the time.

I recommend it all the time, but this really is my choice for best old paper/books.