Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

This is for the 2010 version.

On me this is a strong wood and mint perfume. Usually mint plays pretty nice with me, but if anything as I wore this longer, the mint smelled stronger and stronger until I had a feeling of wearing some kind of flu medication. The boyfriend asked me to wash it off.

Sad.

Hmmmm, there must be spearmint in this somewhere. Or Wintergreen. Some kind of frosty mint. It kind smells like laundry detergent to me. I'm waiting for it to change into something I will love but I am not quite sure that is going to happen. The mintyness does vanish after a few minutes, but still that laundry detergent smell...now it kind of smells like dishsoap. Blargh. To eb fair though, most lunacies don't really work for me but I was so taken with the artwork and description of this I just had to do it.

Yup - I agree with the idea of spearmint in the mix, which is semi-evident at first application, but dissappears shortly thereafter. Now it's a soft, light floral, with a bit of soapiness. So far, not a winner. :cry2:

Mmmmmmmmm! Normally, I'm not a floral fan, but something about this one is....wonderful! There's a hint of spearmint and some sort flowers (though I have no idea which ones). For my first Lunacy scent, this is a big win! :D Slightly soapy when it dries completely, but that's not so bad (there are worse things to smell like than soap, right?). My only nitpcik is that it disappears too fast!

In the bottle: Listerine

On skin wet: Listerine

Dry down: Listerine with flowers

After a few hours: Some very pleasant flowers that were maybe watered with Listerine.

Granted, I'm pregnant right now, so my skin chemistry and sense of smell are FUBAR, but I think I'll be trading this one soon...

~Diamond~

Spearmint, dammit. It overpowers everything else, although there might be some powdery flowers lurking in the background. Other than that, just the damn spearmint. Bleh.

In the botte: Smells like toothpaste and flowers

Wet: Same. Ugh. I hate mint.

I was pretty disapointed at this point. I had been super looking

forward to this one.

Dry: The mint finally steps back a bit. This nice soft vanilla comes

out. I can finally start to smell the flowers and ferns.

Overall: The intial toothpaste phase is hideous. After that it's gorgous.

I'll have to do some thinking to see if its worth going through the toothpaste phase.

MINT FLAVORED TUMS. That's what it smells like!

Very disappointing, though at least it's not just me who got a bottle where mint came to die. I really loved Banshee, which had three mints, so I dunno why this one is so different on me!

~Diamond~

2010 version.

Wet on the skin: Menthol? Camphor? Something medicinal and icy. It smells like a sports cream. I don't want to smell like IcyHot.

Dry on the skin: Less medicinal and very soapy. There's a hint of floral, but mostly it's soap with an aftertaste of mint.

Definitely not a keeper.

This has BPAL's traditional snow note vibe to it. Soft, sweet, aquatic, and vaguely minty. I love wearing these snow blends more in summer though than in the chilly winter months. Still, it's a very lovely scent and I am glad I took a chance on buying a bottle blind.

UGH, wintergreen?!

Background on me: I love peppermint, I can handle spearmint, but wintergreen is an immediate dealbreaker for me. I dislike it so much that it makes me nauseous.

This lasted about 5 minutes on my wrists before I scrubbed it off vigorously. Maybe it has layers and complexity, but there's no way I smell past the wintergreen to them.

The Lunacies have not been good to me lately. First sickly sweet Beaver Moon, now this.

EDIT: Oddly, I've found that this is actually *not bad* on the menfolk. I know two guys who have tried it and like it very much. I must admit it smells very different on them and the mint softens considerably to let it settle into a very clean, masculine floral.

Edited by morganacat

OK...let me start off by saying that I am not a wintergreen / spearmint fan. I am, however, a FERN fan so this was a must buy for me. I will admit I was super scared for the first half an hour: YIKES Spearmint, with a sadly crushed frozen fern fighting for air! But then - oh dear - it smells just like frozen ferns / greenery and it is lovely! I'm one of those people that hikes in all seasons (and fortunately in the Pacific NW that is possible) and I love the smell of plants under a blanket of snow or crunchy from a bit of ice... Cold Moon 2010 really hits the mark, and I recommend that you give this little gem at least half an hour on your skin for it to blossom! YUM and Yum!

Ok, so I am an absolute minty blend devotee, and Cold Moon 2010 is the ONLY minty blend that I've tried that is an outright reject for me. All I got was rank medicinal note with a minty overtone :ack: . I can't even put a coherent in-depth review together because I loathed sniffing my wrist with this blend.

Off to the sales page with you!

Edit: I know why this blend doesn't sit well with me! It's because it smells exactly like the dentist's office that I went to as a child. A child who had 22 teeth pulled and braces for 8+ years. Yeah . . . not the most pleasant association, and certainaly a part of why I just can't wear this. You know, in addition to the fact that it turns rank on me :P

Edited by haley

2010 version:

Wintergreen to me just smells to me in this like Listerine. With flowers.

Yup.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is for the 04 version.

Honestly, this is very faint on me. It is ozoney with a bit of white florals. As it dries, it's more cold and musky rather than florally. I don't really get mint here, but I think this would be nice in the summer.

This is for the '10 version.

At first, it is quite medicinal, with eucalyptus. As it dries, it is ozoney with more mint and less musky than the '04 version. I like both, and will use them both during warmer months to cool down with.

Edited by milo

Very cold almost stringent scent, smells alot like wintergreen possibly either spearmint, but more than likely juniper. unfortunalty that is all I can smell because the minty/juniperish note(s) overpower my bottle, and since I can stand the smell I think this one will be finding a new home...

I will say I do adore the art for cold moon, fragrence not so much, but the lable is gorgeous!

This is pure soap on me. I can't think of what brand it reminds me of, but I've definitely smelled this in liquid soap form before. Oh well, I'm glad I got to try it.

Reviewing the 2010 version.

Sniffed: Intensely cold herbal that reminds me of a herbal ointment I used as a child.

On skin: What a frigid Moon. This begins a dry and very cold herbal, that nevertheless manages to be foggy-thick as well. I can pick out mint in here, and other reviewers seem to agree. Given my dismal track record with BPAL's mint-containing blends, I'm quite elated that for once I can smell mint like it ought to smell, which doesn't go all nasty and wreck the other notes! (There's hope yet for me!) The mint in Cold Moon is really lovely, although dominant: it must be the origin of the blend's "fogginess". The fog eventually clears into a haze upon drydown, and now faint, pale florals begin to take shape. This ends up a cold, subdued blend of mint/herbals, airy faintly-sweet florals, and a whisper of ozone. This is certainly the Moon in the nadir of winter: luminous yet wan, distant, out of reach, without any warmth or nearness or comfort. Colour impression is the lightest of lemon yellow, so cold that it's almost green-blue.

Verdict: Cold Moon gives me a bit of hope that there may be mint (spearmint? wintergreen?) blends out there that may work well on my skin. (Only a bit, though: I'm still wary of the MINTzilla.) It is very evocative and lovely, but a bit too subdued for my tastes. And while I didn't encounter it this time, it turned soapy on a past test -- the first time I've ever encountered soap in a BPAL blend. So while I'm glad I got to test Cold Moon, it'll move on.

2010 version

When this bottle first came to me from the lab, it was all toothpaste all the time. Mint blends are okay, but this has spearmint and/or wintergreen, which makes me think "toothpaste". Off to the swap pile it went. BUT....

Recently I pulled this out & gave it another try. The toothpaste vibe has gone into remission, and a soft sugar overlays the whole thing. Sort of like a snowy sugar (powdered sugar?) dusting on top of a very gentle spearmint. Or spearmint infused powdered sugar. The throw is gorgeous. I think I prefer this to all the "Lick It"'s.

2010 Version:

Wanted to try this one out and bought a decant off the FB group. Arrived in great condition, and after six years it does still smell like toothpaste. I don't hate it, but I don't feel the need to smell like toothpaste all day.

2017 version

A lot like Tres Riches Heures du Duc de Berry, a blast of frigid air but with greenery. Fades to a chilly, sweet floral.

2017 version

Slush white snow, birch, and frigid air. Good bit of greenery underneath. It's vaguely Skadi-esque but gentler, slushier snow and no pine. Good throw and wear length.

2017 Version

The lunar oils remind me very much of the 2004ish Lunacy scents, with some snowy notes. Really reminds me of Skadi, and Snow Moon 2005. I love it.

This is for the 2017 version.

In the bottle: A gentle mint, some ozone, and hints of those ferns. At this pt. it reminds me of the BPTP Yule imp, Fern Frost, somewhat.

Wet: The sweet florals come forward, and there's something underneath that must be the lunar oils.

The dry-down: In the end,the notes all blend together so that's hard to determine anything but the mint and the lunar oils. I'd like to death match this w/th the previous versions. It's a nice scent for winter.

2017 version:

Wet: sweet slushy snow, similar to the snow note in Mat Night that I adore. Mint as well, but not a ton of it. Something a touch green. I amp that snow note like crazy though, so this is pretty well single note snow on me. Lovely, but like most other snow scents I try, unless they have a note in them I amp even more than the snow note.

Dry: Soft sweet snow. The mint is gone, but I still get hints of green. It's an ethereal sort of snow scent. I like it.