Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

Wet ~ this has that aquatic scent that Beth is wonderful at creating. There is a sweet floral just behind the aquatic notes.

Dry ~ The floral has come to the top, and they are much stronger now. Sweet, like jasmine (i'm not sure what snow flowers smell like) There is definitely a green scent, and the aquatic notes that were much stronger when this was wet, have softened. It's almost a sense of smelling flowers in the fog. (I don't live where it snows, so I'm not sure how that would smell)

This is a very beautiful blend....I'm always amazed at how gorgeous the Lunar oils are.

Okay I waffled on buying this for a few thinking that the description was close to Snow White. In the end the part of my head that said "ohhh white flowers" won and I bought a bottle.

In the bottle- *snif sniff* Hm definately floral but not like Snow White (lacks that nutty punch)

Wet- wow. That was interesting. I get the white flowers but I also get this almost equal and very complementary sweet scent. Think Glitter in the bottle be divided by 5 to 10.

Dry- Very light scent of flowers. Makes me think of soft lillies and waxflowers. Takes some sniffing though as it really tones down on my skin like Pele.

Unlike Frost Moon which smelled exactly what I thought a lunar should smell like (I think it was that aquatic note), Cold Moon seems to be missing the aquatic note for me. No matter though as the delicate white flowers are quite nice on me. :P

Wow! My sinuses are further out of whack than I thought!

Cold Moon smells familiar...berry like...with some flowers.

On my skin--ah--there's the sharp tang--the "cold" of Cold Moon.

Dry down--less sharp, much more floral than berry.

Pretty, pretty!

ETA:

This is exactly what I expected Snow White to smell like!

Edited by babykitty

Cold Moon - in the bottle, I smell the lunar oils, with a lovely sweetness! Swoon!

On my skin, the sweetness is what I smell first, but then I get a cool tingle in my nose like when you smell mint. But it isn't mint - it's just... cold! :P It's a very subtle and lovely scent, but with a wonderful cold tingle.

After a few minutes, the tingle fades and the scent warms up a bit to have a sweetness. It's familiar, but I can't place it. Peach? Fruit of some kind. Very lovely.

After about 2 hours of wearing, the scent has faded and become more floral, and just a touch powdery, but I'm hoping that's just because my body chem is temporarily out of whack.

Overall, a beautiful scent! Cold Moon indeed!

In the bottle: Oh, pretty. I have NO idea what I'm smelling, but it's sooooo nice.

Wet/Drying: Sweet. This smells sweet. Not fruity, not sugary, just somehow sweet in a very yummy and light way. Then it somehow rounds and it's not quite spicy, but there's something mixing with it.

Dry: Lovely! The aquatic note comes out and I smell flowers, but they are very, very light (which makes me happy as my body usually amps 'em up to death).

Good god, this is beautiful. Light, sweet and flowery. Subtle. This is a flowery scent I can actually wear. I can't wait to get home and try it again.

:P

ETA: I tried this again, and put a bit more on than before since it faded so quickly last time. Whoo boy, not a particularly good idea. The flowers amped up a bit too much. I tried it again this morning, going back to the initial just-a-tiny-bit application method, and, once again, it was light and beautiful. If you're like me and flowers just won't leave you alone, go light! :D

Edited by Aurelius

Well, when I opened the bottle, I just wanted to fall into it and go swimming in Cold Moon. It's green and floral, but with just a bit of fruity.

On me, it's all ferns and aquatics -- kind of an olive green is the impression I'm getting. There's nothing fruity, and it has just the faintest hint of floral that gets a wee bit smaller the longer I have the oil on -- however, that's just a tiny bit against this overhwhelmingly lovely green. And the ferns have almost a piney-spruce quality to them on my skin.

I get the impression of a cross between Ice Queen and Snow White, with a twist of aquatic.

I really love this, which is good, considering Cold Moon is my birth moon.

In the Bottle: Light berries in the snow. This smells really good.

On Me: Grapefruit, acquatic florals, and cold berries make an excellent oil! This is gorgeous, very light and fruity, a frolic in the snow, Totally gorgeous!!! I love the Moon scents. Everytime I think I've found my favorite, then I find another one that I like even more.

In the bottle: Snow-covered floral. Mmmmm....

Wet: Definitely green. There's a cold note that I just can't identify that reminds me strongly of snow.

Drydown: Oh wow, this is so beautiful. The green fern note fades, leaving behind the snow and delicate white florals. There's something fruity here that I can't identify. It's similar to grapefruit, but I'm not sure if that's what I'm smelling. It's sweet and light.

Final thoughts: This is soft and light, fruity, floral and aquatic all at once. I absolutely love it!

Cold Moon

In the bottle: Sniff, sniff...ooooh, pretty! To me, this smells the most like Blue Moon of any of the other lunacy oils. Actually, it reminds me of the bottle of Chaos Theory that I received (helpful, huh?), which I described as a fruity Blue Moon.

Upon application: Very soft and decidedly fruity. Which is funny, since there are no fruits in the description. To me, it's a pale, glittery light green scent. Gentle florals...

This is an oil that can only be descibed as "pretty". It's not the kind of scent I'm normally drawn to (me and my dark soul :P ), but my impression is that it's the kind of scent that others will like on me. A keeper, for sure.

mmmm, yum! it smells a lot like both ice queen and blue moon and yet it's its own thing too. sweet and light, I like it very well!!

ADDED Feb. 3:

damn. :P

I really love this in the bottle. I still hold that it is a wonderful combination of blue moon and ice queen.. mmmmm.... however, on my skin is quite a different story; there it just brings up all possible lotus-y scent and makes me feel cloyed (is that a word?). I don't know what it is with me and lotus; I want to love it but it always comes out, making me feel so sweet it's sick. happened big time with ophelia too... and I kept on trying... but finally couldn't take it. very sad.

so, off to ebay this one goes...

Cold Moon

Initial Impression

Watery, cool, gorgeous. Like Ice Queen meets Blue Moon, with obvious traces of orchid and the slightest hint of...bubble gum? Weird. That can't be right. Must be some lotus in here mingling with the fruit notes. And I only get that scent when I'm sniffing really closely to the bottle...

Wearing It

Wet, this smells like water, orchids, and ferns with the slightest bit of sweet fruit over the top. A slight muskiness emerges as it dries down...Definitely a very slight bit of musk in here -- my skin will always pull the musk out of a blend.

So once this dries it does something quite lovely on my skin. It starts smelling like clear water, with bits of orchid and fern floating underneath a cool chill moonlit sky. I can smell the slightest (almost invisible) touch of citrus, musk, and juniper -- so faint they are a strain to detect. This is a lovely, delicate, quivering sort of perfume... It reminds me of the limpid eyes of a fawn or the velvety softness of a flower petal, so delicate that it bruises at the slightest touch.

To just elucidate on the Ice Queen and Blue Moon similarities, this blend has the same orchid/juniper/water blend that Blue Moon does, but without the obvious cucumber (which, truth be told, is part of the reason I love Blue Moon) and without the heaviness of the juniper. Instead of the very purposeful, mystical feel of Blue Moon, this evokes more of the clarity and beauty. Ice Queen, while smelling like a dead ringer for an ice rink, was a very biting blend: the mint, bergamot, and water were so strong that they could make my eyes water. Ice Queen was aloof and cold, distant and condescending while Cold Moon captures the clear, icy qualities of that blend without the bite of ice and without the aloofness.

This is a lovely blend, one that I'll be hanging on to and enjoying. I have several citrus blends that I enjoy wearing, but not enough watery blends and this will work wonderfully.

This oil was love at first sight for me :P . To my nose, it is a cross between Blue Moon & Skadi (without the pine ...of course). Whereas I liked Blue Moon, it was not intense enough for me. I like my oils with a bit of a kick and this definitely has the little bit of kick that Blue Moon was lacking. It is absolutely gorgeous. I tested this on my inner elbow last night before bed and when I got up (only 4 hours later - insomnia) the drydown was quite lovely. It couldn't have morphed more beautifully. I applied this about 2 hours ago, so I'll see how it wears as far as needing touched up later today. Overall this is a gorgeous scent that captures the chill of the Cold Moon (somehow Beth does that here) with a very soft and slightly sweet floral note in the background, but the floral is not just a plain floral.....but you can detect a bit of an airy feel (probably the soft breeze part). I'm not really detecting a fern note, but then I've never smelled a fern and the scent may just have a very slight tinge of a green note (possibly the fern). This is my ABSOLUTE all time favorite of all of Lunar Oils to date. It is a true work of genius. I'm glad I bought more than one bottle. I will get much use out of them!

Yummmm!!!!

In the bottle:

Very cold, frozen berries. They smell similar to the berries used in Skadi...which is such a good thing!

Wet:

It's amazing how Beth can bottle cold! This is wet, like frozen berries that are just beginning to melt. This stage reminds me of Ice Queen meets Skadi minus the pine...or Ice Queen meets a more subtle Midwinter's Eve. It has that cold mintiness to it that Ice Queen has. This is how I wished Ice Queen would smell, so I am so happy :D

Dry:

The Ice Queen mintiness has died away and I am left with a musky berry that's almost floral. This stage reminds me of the drydown of Red Moon.

Verdict:

I :P Cold Moon. I think it's my favorite lunar oil (of the ones I've tried). It's sweet without being overpowering like Midwinter's Eve. But it's the cold part that really makes this one special.

First Impression: Sharp and aquatic with a hint of cold juiciness.

Second Impression: Oh, I wish I was getting the Skadi vibe from this. Cold Moon is, for sure, cold, but it's much too sharp and aquatic for me.

Final Analysis: Not agreeing with me at all. Off to a home where you'll be loved.

My bottle of Cold Moon arrived very, very cold indeed, as it was under 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) while it sat outside in my mailbox all day! Cold temperatures suit this oil beautifully as when I opened it (and my bottle has a broken lip, but that's another story) it truly smelled, and FELT like frozen flowers lying on a bed of snow.

Florals and me only get along under very specific circumstances....but one of those is in icy/snowy blends. I LOVE Beth's winter blends. They are beyond description, as I just fumble for words to describe how perfectly she captures the COLD, and the subtle way that it expresses itself in scent. I wish I knew what the "breezes" were that manifest in many of these blends.

It has some of the round, green scent that I detect in Skadi and Dublin (without the pine in Skadi), but it is frozen deep in a block of ice. There's a slight sweet juiciness to the smell that makes it less smooth and muskily-mintily cold than Ice Queen...once the scent thaws on your skin it begins to blossom into early spring flowers.

Strangely enough, this and other snow/ice smells remain very strong on me for a long time. Florals without that icy quality tend to fade right away. This stays on strong and warms on my skin over a period of several hours, growing in strength, and changing from ice blue to a pale green and finally to a warm yellow-green as the ferns and flowers emerge from a block of ice.

I am sad that I lost some of this oil in a breakage that occured in transit, as when I received it, it was leaking and a small piece of the lip was broken. But I seem to be able to keep it together and hopefully can re-bottle it somehow before any evaporates. This is my favorite Lunacy Blend so far, though I have only tried three.

I thought this would be softer and cooler on me but it goes very berry-ish. I am getting a similar vibe from this that I did off Skadi - which is to say something vaguely fruity and citrusy and not much else. There's a faint hint of aqutic in there but nothing that's really altering this much for me, even in dry down. Pretty, but alas cold moon isn't doing much for me. off to someone who will love it.

This one is very light and fruity on me and the hint of mint works really well with it, who would have known??? It really DOES smell cold! Perfect scent for winter, I think! My only complaint is that it fades fast on me.

Cold Moon is divine. I'm glad I felt greedy the day it came out, and ordered two bottles.

It definitely captures the essence of chill. The sweetness is reminiscent of Skadi, I agree with other posters; but whereas Skadi smelled almost pineapple-like on me, Cold Moon is strongly floral and doesn't allow the fruit scents to get syrupy sweet. There is a note of greenery in it.

One of my absolute favorites.

In the bottle and wet on the skin- this is very much like Skadi sans the pine. There's something vaguely fruity about it, much as there is in Skadi. When I first put this on, it is nearly a dead ringer for Skadi on me. I'm definitely getting the grapefruit.

But all that changes, and Cold Moon comes into its own as I'm wearing it. It calms down rather quickly into a lovely scents that's reminiscent of being outdoors alone on the coldest of winter nights, with snow on the ground and dazzling moonlight. I can nearly see my breath. It's so peaceful.

Finally this morphs into the ferns and ice scent- like coming upon a frozen lake in the middle of winter.

I can't possibly describe the notes in Cold Moon, as I have absolutely no idea what they are. This scent evokes strong images for me, and I can really only describe it in pictures.

Cold Moon is simpy a stunning oil. I shall treasure it.

This is the first BPAL I've had the courage to buy blind, without getting an imp first. I'm so glad I did.

I don't have the sophisticated nose many of you have. To me, Cold Moon has a white-flower base, but it's prickly to the nose. It makes me think of fir boughs under snow. It's a lovely winter scent, and I'm glad I took the risk.

Cold Moon is gorgeous, frosty, watery, berried loveliness.

I smell the same mulled spices that I got from Skadi, mixed with an aquatic floral that reminds me a touch of the Water of Notre Dame. It seems an unlikely mix, but the result is really unique and compelling. It’s perfect today, as it’s snowing up a storm outside (blizzard conditions!), but inside our apartment is warm and cozy. Cold Moon is that same combination of chill and warmth, freeze and thaw, blue and red, winter weather and hearth fire---that is a perfect partner to this season.

Cold Moon

I love cold moon. It's so floral and cool with the green and musk twist to it. I absolutely adore it. It does, in fact, remind me a lot of Blue Moon, but remove the cuke and toss in some light Skadi. The sad thing is that it has no lasting power on me at all. I shouldn't say no. It just goes very faint within the hour. If I get right up on the application site, I can still smell its lovely fragrance. However, I don't just smell it, you know? No wafting. No throw. However, this only means that I will have to more heavily apply and more frequently. Initially that made me sad, but then I remembered just how many bottles I have and I was okay again. I figure it's probably okay to have one that I need to apply more frequently. Also, I may try dabbing a bit on my bra or my clothing. I just put my sweatshirt jacket back on and I notice that it's wafting up a lovely Cold Moon breeze. :P

Edited by pkwench

What if Ice Queen and Midwinter's Eve had a child?

Cold Moon would be it.

Icy, but not too much so, fruity but not too much so, it is the porridge that Goldilocks chose.

It isn't long lasting. Neither is the full moon. :D

I like Ice Queen because it is very chilly and the fruits weren't very strong. Midwinter's Eve had a nice plummy thing going on, but I find it works only now and then. Cold Moon has some of the same fruity qualities. It has yet to bring me to its side.

I'll trade it before it does. A lot of the Yule oils turn to a icy fruity powder on my wrist very quickly. Shameful! :P

I had high hopes for Cold Moon based on the description. I thought it might be similar to Snow White, which is probably my favorite BPAL. But then the reviews started to come in, I heard "fruity," "aquatic" and someone even mentioned "lotus." Uhoh. When I finally got my bottle, I tried to keep an open mind, I put it on and some of the initial notes were quite pleasing. But as it dried down, it started to smell pretty darn funky on me :D . It actually smelled very much like the drydown I got with Harvest Moon. These are the only two Lunacy Editions I have tried and it could be that I just don't get on with "traditional lunar oils." Oh well, I'm probably still going to order Pink Moon and Chaste Moon, the names alone are worth a gamble :P .

Oh, wow!

Cold Moon is gorgeous! There is a frozen berry note similar to the one in Skadi with soft, white flowers underneath. Later the fern pokes through.

There are definately similar notes here to Blue Moon but without the certain something that made my sinuses complain with BM.

Cold Moon is very pretty and could be the first lunar oil that I wear as a regular perfume as well as use for meditation.