Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
antimony

Ambergris

I am so glad I tracked down a bottle of this! I, frankly, had no idea what ambergris even was before BPAL, let alone what it smelled like. After a few months and many imp tests, it's become a favorite note of mine.

Enter this beauty. It starts with a fresh sea air kind of quality, salty but not obnoxiously so. Definitely a marine scent, but there's also borderline-floral and fresh laundry tones that occasionally weave in. I also do get brief moments of a candied citrus--maybe candied lemon peels? Somehow every time I smell BPAL's ambergris notes I'm reminded of salt-coated driftwood, which is the image that's coming to mind with this. It's very soft, very complex, completely wearable on its own but I bet it would layer beautifully. I don't find this to be overly masculine, more unisex and likely a morpher on each person, but ymmv of course.

At the time of reviewing this I had never tried real ambergris so it's nice to have an accord version. This starts off initially floral and musky, but soft, with a hint of ocean air. As it dries I get a slightly citrus smell. It's quite nice. It does have a warm quality to it. It begins unfortunately quite faint with a low throw, but after a bit more time it becomes more low-medium.
Compared to real ambergris, it doesn't have the same quality at all, but it is a very lovely accord.