Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Omen

Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

At first this smells a bit similar to Black Annis, only sweeter, probably the juniper helps that, there's not quite as much decay in it. After about an hour, though, I'm smelling nothing but oakmoss, and while it still smells cleaner than Black Annis, it also doesn't have that tiny hint of something that could possibly be chocolate-ish, so I can't really pick which is the lesser of the two evils. Musty, like furniture in a castle that you'd tour in England today, ugly "antique" icky green couches, my grandmother's closet if only for the paint color. Rarely-used church storerooms. And somehow, the smell of Irish gift shops. Ugh.

I think oak/moss/lichen and I just don't get along.

Sorry to any fans of Omen, but after my one time testing it, I never ever want to have it on my skin or smell it again. To me it just smells 'dark' and it honestly gives me the creeps. It put me in a very fearful mood right after applying it, and it didn't hit me for a couple of minutes why I felt so weirded out all of sudden, but I felt very unlucky and afraid for several minutes. To me it smells just like a funeral parlous. I honestly gave me the eeby-jeebies. :P

Patchouli has this tendency to jump out at me first chance it gets, then sit there at centre stage looking very pleased with itself for however long the blend stays around, so when I sniffed the imp and got pure patchouli, I really wasn't expecting much. In fact, it nearly went straight in the swap box.

But it didn't, and woo! I really like it! At first it is mostly patchouli, but there's the sweetness of myrrh and the sharpness of juniper lingering in the background. Then the oakmoss starts to come out and it's equal parts oakmoss and patchouli, with the myrrh and juniper wafting around making it all that little bit sweeter.

In the Bottle: Even before I opened it I got patchouli. Very strong and earthy, a bit of wood scent in there too.

Wet: Same as above only with a slight touch of smoke. And something that I can only describe as "grey".

Dry: Patchouli! This is the only note that stands out really.

Later: Still patchouli, just sweeter.

Final Verdict:

Meh, nice, but not dark. If that "grey" scent I'd found earlier on had developed more I'd have probably taken to this scent better. But not bad when I want to smell like patchouli.

ooo so earthy...

reminds me of laying don in the cemetery and feeling the ground grow colder under me as the sun fades away...

i like.

A brown earthy and mossy smell. It starts off very similar to Luperci but morphs down to a much "browner" scent, sort of musty and fusty and ancient, I'm thinking of old, slightly spooky woodlands where the loamy mulch is kicked up when you walk through them or even old tomes in an esoteric library of leatherbound books.

This scent is very evocative, but isn't really how I want to smell!

The myrrh just seems to overpower everything. Where is my patchouli and moss? *cries* Much later, it has faded to almost nothing...except faint moss. (finally). I'll try this again but looks like it's not going to work. That myrrh note is nearly powdery and won't let anything else play.

edit: Oh, and I can't smell juniper at all which is odd for me.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

In bottle: The juniper hits first, as always - but it's almost immediately cushioned by oakmoss.

On me: The juniper goes mild! It's buried in a haze of resin, patchouli with wisps of myrrh. The oakmoss vanishes. Aw. I liked the oakmoss. :P

First on, it was sharply herbal, with just a hint of something spicy and sweet underneath.

Near drydown - gorgeous - it's like Cinnabar mixed with Old Spice, but no fake or overwhelming aspects to it.

Far drydown - the same, only very faint. This would be HG-worthy if it lasted longer.

On me this one seems to be almost exclusively patchouli, very earthy and not very mossy/green at all. Nice, but I want to try it again when I have a better nose for these things. Put it on at 8am (it's now 1:15pm), and I can just about still smell it, but only if I sniff my wrist.

In imp: Juniper. Egads. What if this is one of those blends I'm allergic to?

Wet: Except it totally isn't... because whatever the chemical is, it's not in the juniper berry that's in here and rising up deliciously like a forest martini.

Drydown: The myrrh and oakmoss keep the patchouli very, very subtle, and really evoke the idea of walking through a dark wood. It's kind of like Oblivion in a way, but with patchouli -- at least the scent evocation of that beautiful wild darkness is similar.

Oh, this is a keeper. This is one of those scents that any gender could pull off equally well. Just not my imp, because I'm keeping it!

In the imp: Very sharp and sinus-cleaning juniper, with the oakmoss and patchouli also very prominent

Wet: All juniper

Drydown and wear: Patchouli and myrrh, which is a really hit or miss combination with me (Dance of Death=amazing, others=eew). In fact, this one actually reminds me of a slightly lighter and less sweet DoD (it's really missing the orris). Because I love DoD so much, I think I will swap this one, though I should note, for anyone who might be scared off by the juniper, that this really ends very nice and subtle on my skin. You can get a hint of juniper, but not too much (so this is like metallic dirt, in the end).

Yet another frimp I never expected. The Lab folks are cool. :D

Wet, it smells like pure incense, sweet and rich and old. I described Aureus to a friend as 'dust with a hint of incense', Omen is its inverse.

Dry (and having read the list of scents), I can pick out the notes. Myrrh does what it always does on my skin, which is settle in and be deliciously sweet and almost sensual. The patchouli is also a presence, and I can sense the tang of juniper keeping it from smelling merely sweet and old. It smells like a library, back in the stacks paging through books you've never seen before. Maybe a grimoire or two, but nothing dangerous.

I do like this. Might try a drop of it on the fiance--English teachers should smell like books, after all. :P

Initial impression:

Juniper and soap – I hope the soapy qualities disappear once I put this on.

First on:

Wow! Strong stuff – juniper, patchouli and myrrh, but no moss at the moment. The juniper soon dies out and the incense type scent dominates.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, the myrrh has taken over and softened the patchouli a little bit. Oakmoss and juniper are unfortunately absent, but it's a lovely incense-like scent right now.

20-30 mins after application, the patchouli has overpowered the myrrh again, but the moss and juniper are still gone, which is a little sad. I'd hoped for more moss, at least.

Finally:

I love and adore patchouli, so naturally I liked Omen a lot. It's a dark and masculine scent. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of oakmoss in it (mossy scents are love to me), but I enjoyed it none the less. I'm ambivalent... Keeper or not? I don't know.

Having just moved from Wisconsin to Arizona and am a bit homesick this scent was a god send! I was in the computer room (still have yet to finish unpacking that area) and found an imp on the floor (must have fallen out of one of the boxes). It was Omen. I picked it up and smelled it in the imp and thought - "Now why haven't I tried this?" I put some on and closed my eyes to get a full sense of the smell and instantly I was transported back to Wisconsin - the scent reminds me so much of those days of walking through the Wisconsin forests. This is a keeper. I will be putting this on my big bottle list! Thanks Beth for another amazing creation that brings back wonderful memories.

This has been one of my Top Ten GC blends for such a long time, and I can't imagine it moving anytime soon.

Omen is a magnificent blend - mossy, earthy, green, woody. The patchouli is smooth and deep and the other notes bring to mind swirling greens and browns. In the most divine way, it smells like the depths of the forest without smelling pine-y. It is not a dank or dirty scent, rather it is green and alive.

Oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli are some of my most loved notes and in Omen they blend beautifully. The dark green waft lasts for the longest time on me.

I am a devoted fan. :P

n Bottle: Hello, myrrh!

Wet: Very sharp and musky, and very strong. Myrrh and patchouli is all I can smell.

Dry: Still smells wet and musky, waaaaay too strong for me. Had to wash this off. :/

Overall: Definitely not for me.

imp: juniper and myrrh. this smells so wonderful.

wet: the juniper really jumps out on this one while the myrrh gives it that creamy, spiked back. i'm still not getting any moss or patchouli.

dry: this dries to a completely dreamy juni-myrrh. creamy, piney excellence. i'm popping this onto my husband's imp pile to see if he wants a bottle.

Omen

Another imp I picked out with my husband in mind. Oh, hello patchouli, I see you and myrrh have become friends. Right away I know this is neither a scent for me or my husband. That's not to say it's bad, that's just to say it's not "it". This is warm and golden, but a bit sharp. I think, perhaps, that while I don't mind patchouli (and sometimes it really works) that I don't especially like it, either.

[ 3 - Like ] Interesting, but no thanks.

Omen - Bewitching Brews

Ow. Ow ow headaches. I assume it’s the juniper or the myrrh because i’ve never had a problem with patchouli, and the mossy part is lost amongst the cheap old-ladies scent part of this blend. It’s quite addictive to sniff, but only because it’s so strange but i’m CONVINCED it’s given me this headache. It really does smell like old ladies, the ones that are really crafty or arty and wear heady hippy perfumes that hang in the air after them. You never know, it might grow on me.

Conclusion. Eaugh. Double eaugh. I’ll try it again in a few days and if it’s still too lifeless and eaugh, it’s up for swap.

2/10, the 2 is purely for sniffability.

I got an imp of this at a sniffing party among a few LJ friends. If I had read the description before trying this, I wouldn't have done so. That would've been a total shame, because on me, this turns to something warm & spicy & tart. The tart hits right in the back of my sinuses, but the soft, spicy, warmth seems comforting in the front of my nose. This feels like drinking something warm & fruity, but smelling burning incense at the same time. Perhaps something like warm cranberry cider (do they even make such a thing?). It's very earthy and woodsy (woods, metals, & earth seem to be good smells on me), but the tart scent keeps it from being too masculine.

This may really need to be a big bottle purchase. I think I have found my winter scent.

Mmmmmmmmm.... Dark, sweet, and cold patchouli laden with juniper berry & fuzzy moss :P Really steady from wet to dry... 5/5!! I agree with the brown/piney statements... Nummy!

OMEN

Early on this has a semi-sweet breeze of juniper that wafts over myrrh. I love the way those intermingle and the oakmoss adds a nice touch of murky aquatics. The patchouli gets more noticeable as time wears on and it is a very sinister, heavy patchouli. This seems to have a sort of earthy, dark, mysterious air to it which is very fitting for the name. The patchouli is a little heavy for me but try it; you might be surprised. I found I liked Omen a lot more than I expected to.

My boyfriends first BPAL love, one of the very few scents he really likes and applies by himself. He is always drawn to green and foresty stuff and I dont mind at all :P

Oakmoss and juniper over myrrh. Where is that patchouli?? I like patchouli but it seems to hide from me!

After some time the myrrh really comes out and goes a bit powdery. Omen really starts to smell like incense then but not in a headshop way.

If you want a deep green but dry forest scent without pine you should give it a try.

In bottle/imp: Biting juniper and the warm thick scent of myrrh.

Immediately on skin: This is an interesting scent. The patchouli and myrrh are blending together creating a spicy dirty incense fragrance. Normally I wouldn’t like that, BUT the oakmoss is really smoothing this blend out and giving it a thick, glassy feel. It’s like the oakmoss is blending the other notes together. There’s just a small hint of the juniper berry.

After a little while: This is a very thick, rich patchouli and myrrh scent with the oakmoss lying over everything, giving a smooth richness. The juniper berry is no longer present, but the other notes blend together very well. It’s like warm, resinous patchouli. And it’s not a gritty patchouli anymore at all… more like a dark, dirt-like incense note.

Overall Impressions: This is the smoothest patchouli scent I’ve tried. Well, besided Dark Delicacies where I can barely smell it. Anyway, this blend impresses me… the oakmoss, myrrh, and patchouli are blended together seamlessly; I get the feel of each contributing to the scent, but I don’t smell them individually at all.