Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Omen

Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

Why don't I love this? I am somehow getting zero oakmoss or patchouli -- this is very incensey with a tiny hint of juniper on me. Myrrh must be the thing that's killing it for me -- it almost reminds me of white musk, which is one of my notes of death. I'll have to give it another try just to make sure my nose isn't being wonky today, but I'm a bit disappointed since this sounded like a surefire winner.

got this as a frimp from the lab.

i get something clear and almost musky mixed with patchouli, maybe it's the combination of the oakmoss with the patchouli? this reads as a bit dry and masculine to me. i get a bit of pencil shavings from this, probably the patchouli. the myrrh is in the background and not a strong element, and i am not even sure if i smell the juniper berry in this. it smells a lot like men's aftershave on me. not really my personal cup of tea but glad i got to try it!

Wet: Smoky myrrh brightened by something of a greener persuasion. Resinous and masculine, but slightly sweet.

Drydown: This is a very ominous scent. It’s woodsy, but somehow smells unnatural. The myrrh is prominent, but it seems unstable.

Dry: Hmm. So something about this smells sort of evil. It doesn’t smell bad, just kind of unsettling. Which, I suppose, is exactly the point!

Final Thoughts: Despite being full of “win” notes, I can’t really describe it as wearable. BUT, if I were playing an evil character or in a particularly dark mood, this is the blend I would reach for.

7 out of 10 bones

Omen Imp

Wet/Bottle - Very sweet, juniper and myrrh, but I don't get any oakmoss whatsoever.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - All oakmoss and myrrh, which really goes to show how much skin chemistry really does affect the way you wear these oils. Upon bottle sniffing, there was no oakmoss at all, and now it's pretty much all I can smell. That's fine with me, though, as it's one of my favorite notes.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - Oakmoss is still the major star of the show, with patchouli and myrrh in tow. The juniper, however, is MIA.

This is really pleasant on my skin, I can see myself wearing it quite often in the fall/early winter. I'm prepared to buy a bottle if I come across it, or with my next lab order, but I'm not DISO while I have my imp.

This is dark, smoky, and herbal. The patchouli is pretty strong up until the dry down, and then it mingles with the myrrh for a smooth incense-y base. The oakmoss and juniper stand strong over the top. This reads on the more masculine side to me. It's smoky, but the juniper makes it feel clean at the same time.

Nice! Dark, broody with a strange sweet element to it, which might be the myrrh? Not a fan of the oakmoss in there but this really tells a story. Even if that story is a mysterious one.

Wet, this is very herby and dark, quite bitter. Kind of smells like a pine car air freshener -- you know, the kind you hang from a car's rearview mirror.

I like it a little better as it dries and mellows out, but I really don't think this is one I will reach for. To the swaps pile it goes!

Imp: mmmmm juniper and patchouli to start
Wet on Me: still juniper and patch and loving so far....I have hope
Drying Down: okay getting the myrrh note now. has an old ancient forest type vibe.
Dry: mostly myrrh now. all the lovely patch and juniper got scared and ran off.

WOW sharp in the imp. Oakmoss, patchouli, and maybe the juniper? I could swear I smell vetiver in this, but I think it's the myrrh and juniper together.

Wet: Okay, a little more pleasant on the skin. A lot, actually. The juniper gives it a fresh, foresty vibe. I don't get too much patch, although its sweetness is definitely there. The myrrh and juniper together are actually very nice - just wish the patch wasn't there. Oakmoss is still distinctive.

Dry: It's a forest! Green and a little sweeter as it dries. I can't say I'd buy a bottle, but I'll hang onto this to pass onto some of the gentlemen I know.

This is a super pretty juniper scent when it starts. There's a bit of oakmoss, but juniper is the star. But, as with all things myrrh has to crash the party and now it smells like Irish Springs soap. Why myrrh, why? Why do you do this to me? I'm going to have to try this in a scent locket because I really love it, but myrrh doesn't love me.

For the life of me, I cannot identify any of these individual scents. I'm at a loss for how to categorize this in my brain. An incensey floral is what comes to mind, but that doesn't seem accurate. It does remind me of Sunday morning, and getting ready for church with my grandmother. I guess the only thing similar between this and Chantilly Lace is oakmoss, so hmmmm.....

I would categorize this as a fresh, feminine, incensey floral, but only because my brain doesn't know what to do with juniper, myrrh, and patchouli together.

Testing from an imp of unknown age.

Nice and mossy, earthy, but somewhat bright from the juniper. The myrrh and patchouli are there, but neither are overpowering on me. It's kind of dark, a little dirty, but fresh and reminds me of sitting on the ground in the forest.

This starts off as an oakmoss-tinged dark myrrh and stays that way for most of the day. But by the end of the day, it is mostly a powdery oakmoss backed by some bright juniper and what remains of that bold myrrh note. I'm surprised that it took so long for the juniper to show up and that the patchouli in here seems to be very shy.

It was nice to get to try Omen, but the myrrh in this is too bold and sharp for my liking.

That dark-and-sexy incense that makes the forest deep and mysterious disappears on my skin. Do I amp oakmoss? I think I must. Because this is nearly single-note oakmoss, with just a little juniper. On me this is a very natural woodsy scent, nothing ominous or portentous about it.