Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Omen

Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

I have never gotten the patchouli note from Omen. In the bottle all I can smell is Oakmoss and when I wear it its just all sweet oakmoss with a hint of the myrhh. It wears nicely, I was suprised!

I wanted to love this one but sadly I think it's the oakmoss making a mess on my skin. It also fades pretty quickly. Any type of wood component is ify on me.

I think it would smell really nice on my boyfriend.

I am liking this much more than I anticipated. On me it's dark, earthy,woodsy, cool, spicy and green. Reminds me of cool, shady places in dense damp forests. It's possibly a little too masculine for my tastes so I look forward to trying it out on my boy.

Edit: Yum! The green in this turned to clean on me after a few hours of wear and this turned into an amazing, warm, spicy, inviting scent.

Edited by MinxyMinou

On the skin: Juniper and.....? It is a deep juniper scent. Very interesting.

After a bit the juniper is joined by incense and what I have come to think of as myrrh. It becomes incensey and begins to remind me slightly of the Warrior Queen Zenobia. The dry down is pretty nice!!

In the imp this smells like dirty patchouli to me. Not my thing, but I wanted to make sure.

On the skin it turned sweeter but still with a "dirty" quality. Spicy and musky.

Dry down is nice, but not for me. Swap pile.

In the Imp: a bit sharp, almost tart

Wet on Skin: dusty in a woody sort of way, maybe a bit soapy (oakmoss)

While Drying: hints of juniper berry

After a Little While: almost lemony, a bit tart, still a bit soapy in early drydown; a touch cloying

Later: light patchouli with something warmer (myrrh?); My friend says "sexy musk"

Final Thoughts: My friend seemed quite fond of this scent, with the caveat that there have been better scents on me; I like the late stage, but I'm not a huge fan of the earlier stages.

Omen earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

Wet on my skin, the first thing I really pick up is a strong woodsy smell. As it dries, the other notes starts to rise and it develops into more of a wood and rich incense blend which I find very lovely. I'll definitely be adding this one to the bottle list.

In the bottle: Dishwashing liquid.

Wet: Still a bit dishwashing liquid, with some earthiness behind it. It's kind of sweet, which I was not expecting, I think because I'm used to woodsier juniper notes and I didn't realize the juniper berry was going to be such a sweet berry smell. Mea culpa.

Dry: Gah, still smells like soap! And it's a bit powdery now. A few minutes later, it's a bit woodsier, and the powdery dish soap has died down a bit but it's still there. This isn't working on me. :(

After about 30 minutes, I am suddenly getting a lot of patchouli. I love patchouli in small doses, but this is a bit much for me. Better than dishwashing soap, though!

Overall: I mostly got woodsy dishwashing soap. :( The dry down was better than the first 30 minutes, but I don't think this oil is for me.

Edited by tailoredshirt

Oh WHOA. Dark and mysterious is right. This stuff is awesome in a dark and mysterious sorta way. The moss and the patchouli really stand out. I just love it.

5 ml bottle, here I come!

In imp: Orange-gold, darkly glowing; a deep, earthy resin with a green edge. Patchouli is definitely there, with other notes playing in too. A bit sharp and bright.

On skin: Whatever sharpness I smelled in the imp tones down when on skin. An earthy, resinous depth overlaid with a rounded, lush greenness that's more mossy than leafy. Seems like the patchouli (and perhaps myrrh, though I don't smell it) is the base note grounding the scent, and the oakmoss and juniper are tempering it and adding the subtle but distinct greenness. I like this variant of patchouli: it gets a bit dirty on occasion, but mostly remains well-behaved and pleasantly earthy. Overall it's mellow and dark, yet fresh and glowing. For such a full scent it has surprisingly weak presence, and is now very faint, then more distinct -- I wish the scent was stronger and more constant.

Colour impression is emerald green complementing a brighter, pulsing orange-gold.

Verdict: Another sleeper hit I keep forgetting and then rediscovering. Though I think it could be a bit darker and stay more consistent on my skin. Omen is also quite similar to Mantis, albeit a bit darker -- so it may make a good dupe for those who who miss Mantis. Worth keeping.

Masculine, sharp, kind of musky. It kind of smells a bit 'dark', and 'mysterious', to me. After a bit, Omen becomes sweeter, but still has the biting edge to it. I'll certainly wear this when I'm in the mood for a dark blend. It kind of reminds me a bit of Panther Moon, and other dark musk blends.

In the imp, all I got was the strong scent of juniper. It smells way too strong and sharp for me, so I hoped it would settle down on my skin.

It didn't just settle down... it disappeared! When I first put on Omen, I could smell a little background of juniper behind woodsy patchouli and sweet myrrh. It was like standing in a forest and smelling one juniper tree just out of sight. Unfortunately the patchouli and myrrh took over in the end and killed it, so those two notes were what I smelled during drydown.

It's a light, sweet smell, but it's nothing remarkable on me.

This is a super earthy scent that is very well blended. It's very dark in the bottle, but sweetens up a little on me. I think that's the myrrh. When it dries, the oakmoss comes out a bit more. It's smokey, earthy, mysterious, and dark. It reminds me a bit of how my hair and clothes smell after I spent time near a bonfire.

Oakmoss is one of the notes that gives old Guerlain perfumes the character that some describe as musty in a bad way. I can see that, though I really like it, so I had to try Omen. In the bottle it smelled earthy, piney, and dry. On my skin it lost its piney edge and became a warm, resinous, powdery scent with a LOT of rose. (I can't remember if rose is listed as a note, but this was the effect it produced on me, anyway). The Caterpillar is one of my faves, and Omen reminds me a bit of The Caterpillar but with fewer floral notes, i.e., no carnation. I liked it well enough to buy a full bottle, and I wear it often, usually layered with one amber or another to draw out its warmth and depth.

Delicious Impending Darkness! I really dig this. Its in the same family as Nephilim, but I prefer Omen.

It is definitely mysterious and cool.

4/5

This is actually quite well-blended. I was expecting the patchouli to attack my nostrils since it's always a death note for me. The oakmoss and juniperberry have been blended very well together. Unfortunately, it goes a bit medicinal on my skin, but otherwise, I'm impressed. This isn't my thing but I would recommend it to anyone who digs earthy blends.

Holy moly getting this RIGHT AWAY!

This smelled very much like an older Guerlain perfume to me, Mitsouko, but richer and better. More rounded.

It had the same depth as Caterpillar, but softer.

Coming to my house right now...

In the imp: All I smell is patchouli. I'm not very familiar with juniper berry or oakmoss but this smells like a warm, dry patchouli. I've only tested myrrh once in a health food store and wasn't a fan.

Wet on skin: Patchouli is still in the forefront, but it's getting that heavy overly-perfumey quality.

Dry: Smells like the above, but also similar to old perfumey lotion or sunscreen gone bad, and also OFF!Deep woods mosquito repellant, yuck! :sick:

Verdict: This smells like "old lady" perfume and bug spray on me, had to wash it off. Confirmed my dislike of patchouli and myrrh, might give oakmoss another try in a completely different blend. Off to swap.

Edited by Drae

Another one I probably wouldn't have tried on my own. Thanks for the frimps, Labbies!

Wet, I smell mostly patchouli - but that quickly moves to the background. I get the three other notes much stronger. The juniper berry makes it tart, the oakmoss grounds it, and the myrrh adds that little bit of sexy spice. I am REALLY surprised at how much I like this. Omen is a keeper.

Coming back to try it again later, I'm thinking this is actually too astringent for me. :(

Edited by calivianya

In the imp, it’s strong juniper, sharp and, oddly enough, citrusy. Maybe a hint of patchouli.

First on, it’s juniper and patchouli. Something very fresh as well as earthy, but not the sharp kind of fresh that goes straight up my nose and makes me wince. Also a bit fizzy, like root beer. I was concerned about juniper’s similarities to pine, but it’s working well so far.

A few minutes in, it turns a bit soapy. An all-natural, hippie soap, but soap nevertheless. But as it dries, the impression lessens. It’s slow morphing and pleasant. There’s some of what I think is oakmoss, and definitely patchouli. Lovely patchouli, earthy without being dirty. There’s also myrrh. Over time, the myrrh and juniper intensify, and it becomes heavy and almost heady by ten minutes.

At 15 minutes, it’s herbal juniper, earthy oakmoss, spicy patchouli, and smooth, sweet myrrh. I’m really liking it. Very deep, fairly masculine, but it would definitely work well on a woman. The juniper is a bit like pine, which is a note I don’t like, but it’s not bad. I switch between noticing the reappearing soapiness or just not liking the pine impression, and actually really liking this.

At 45 minutes, the juniper has calmed down a bit, the myrrh is silky smooth, and although I’m not finding the oakmoss directly at this point, I suspect it’s adding to the overall earthiness of the blend. Someone else mentioned that it smelled like musty books – it’s odd, but I can see the similarity, and I love it! A good library scent. If the bottle scent smelled like it does on my wrist, I’d love to rub this into my bookshelves.

At an hour, I’m having the same problems as earlier with juniper, as it occasionally jumps out and becomes astringent, but I do think I like the blend. It keeps changing very gradually, until I can smell the oakmoss again – maybe the myrrh has subsided enough. At two hours there are no unpleasant notes at all, just good, sweet earthiness. Sadly, after another hour, myrrh has drowned out every other note.

With the exceptions of a few moments when juniper attacks my nose, it’s a very subtle blend with mild throw. It’s subtle. Comforting, too – though probably only to people who feel at home in the woods.

Summary: Starts fresh and earthy, with juniper and patchouli, mellows to an earthy and resinous scent, heavy on the myrrh. Occasional soapiness and astringency from juniper, but mostly pleasant. Quiet, grounded, comforting. Unisex.

Rating: 3.25/5 – this might get higher if I have less problems with juniper next time.

In the bottle: Incensey with a hit of juniper.

Immediately after application: Still has an incense-like feel but the moss is predominant.

Warming up: Pretty much all moss.

Fading: Mossy.

Faded: Average throw, average wear.

Overall: I like a touch of moss in blends, but this was too much.

Rating: 1/5.

In the imp: Incensey myrrh and patchouli.

On my skin the patchouli comes out more. I'm not really getting any juniper that I can detect, or oakmoss, really. It's not the really bitter myrrh that I don't like - it's nice, and incensey. As it dries the oakmoss is starting to come out. I like oakmoss. Overall, it smells good, but isn't really my style - my partner likes it, though, so to her it goes~

Omen. Another frimp, unknown age. Patchouli is all I smell at first, and then it settles to what someone described as "sauna." Which happens to be one of my favorite places. It's just a beautiful, clean dry woody purifying smell. I like it a lot.

In the imp: I definitely get the wood (the oakmoss, I think), but there's a bit of sweetness and brightness I wasn't expecting.

Wet on skin: The myrrh and patchouli are coming out more - I think my skin tends to amp myrrh a bit.

Dried down: Actually, I like this a lot. I get mostly myrrh and patchouli off of this, but the oakmoss, and juniper berry sort of grounds it.

Throw: Incensey scents tend to linger in my nose, but I think this has a bit of throw even if I don't sniff my wrists. I get a little hint of the brightness from the oakmoss and juniper berry.

Verdict: **** I actually didn't think I was going to like this as much as I did - I think I was expecting the oakmoss to go sour or bitter o me. I'm not sure I'm going to get a bottle of it, but I'll keep the imp, at least.