Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Omen

Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

In bottle: They aren’t kidding about the juniper. Smells like moss, incense, and Gin. Accent on the Gin. Wet: My skin really doesn’t like this chalky gin and patchouli over moss and chemicals. No. Dry: Double no. Cheap candy.

Wet: Patchouli party!

Dry: Spicy and dark and earthy.

Drier: Super spice! Sweet! Mysterious!

I love the way my skin reacted to Omen. It ended up being sweet and spicy and a little bit earthy. I kept catching whiffs of it all day and thinking, "What is that intoxicating smell? Holy crap, it's me!!"

9/10

Omen is kinda bland on me. I'm starting to think the labs patchouli note just doesn't play nice with my skin. All patchouli with a little bit of earthy spice hiding in the back. I'd have to realllllly slather to get the full extent of the spice. I'll have to think on it some more. That undertone is so good. I wish I could beat the patchouli off with a stick and let the spice come out to play.

ETA: 2 hours later

Crap, I was way way way off. I thought I had washed this off after about an hour, but apparently I didn't get it all. I was sitting here internetting and wondered what that wonderful spicy smell was... Omen is time released fabulousness and I almost dismissed it entirely! Lesson learned. This is woody and spicy in a way I love, and I'm getting a bottle to age for fall.

Edited by iiinterstate

Agh. Maybe I should limit myself to testing two new scents per day. This is the third I tried today. Perhaps it was the combination of the other two on me (Meshenet + Organ Grinder) plus this one, but I had to scrub it off right away. I feel like I am radiating patchouli. Actually, since none of these ingredients look appealing to me, no wonder it is a pass.

Got this as a gift in a Snack Craving pacakge from Strangemodegirl! I lurves her for this! It was on my wish list and I'm so glad I tried it!

Imp: Patchouli happiness

Wet on Me: Wood & Patchouli

Drying Down:the oak moss is coming

thru with touches of the juniper berry

then the myrrh

Dry:Fabulous Sunny Headshop! A

glorious woodsy patchouli with tiny hints of myrrh

Throw: good Stay:awesome

I lurve this. Totally bottle worthy!

This ended up being painfully sweet on me, which was a surprise because normally patchouli and myrrh work well on my skin.

Wet on my skin, Omen is juniper berry over myrrh and patchouli. As it dries, something turns soapy, and I suspect it's the juniper berry. Dry, it settles down again. This very nice, but not exactly me. Still, I'll keep it around.

dark and spicy, but not in a cinnamon way. It's spicy the way wet, freshly chopped trees smell. As it dries, I get more of the juniper and patchouli separating, and it still smells nice. Not really a scent for me to wear, but I could see a guy really loving this. It's a very rugged and mysterious scent.

I got a full bottle of this accidentally-- I ordered Odin and was sent Omen. They sound alike but they sure don't smell alike!

I think Omen smells like Masabakes' little sister. It must be the myrrh? I adore Masabakes, but if you think it is too weird or strong for you, you may prefer Omen-- it seems less severe and more wearable.

The wearlength is about 4-5 hours, tops.

Omen smells great; I really like it. However, since I'm on my 2nd bottle of Masabakes already, my heart already belongs to another-- poor nice Omen is just a third wheel.

ADDED 3 (!) YEARS LATER--

Pulled this out recently. After all that aging, this no longer is a spitting image of Masabakes... that dark myrrh has faded into the background. There's a really nice subtle outdoorsy (non-sweet) berry that's become much more prominent. I get a whiff of the patchouli but its not overshadowing anything else.

This is great! This will come out of its hidey-hole and into my regular collection. Horray!

Edited by mazikeen

Slightly sweet patchouli and DIRT--I think my nose is interpreting oakmoss as dirt in this blend. There's a spiciness in the background from the myrrh. This is masculine and a little too intense on my skin.

Well..this is a dark one!

It's at first mainly Patchouli and Myrrh it's also got a very slight medicinal tone to it that's green. It quickly changes though to a FLORAL??? Double Yoo Tee Eff? and powder.

Now it smells like dark powder..and flowers.

It's still pleasant though, but..I smell like a gothic flower shop that used to be a mother & baby changing room before. :P

I'm wishing that the oakmoss was more prominent. But it's turning powdery. Only a few blends have gone powdery on me so I need to find out what notes are the same.

*goes to investigate*

The oakmoss and patchouli are surprisingly well behaved on me in this blend. It has a earthy base, with a delicate touch of berries and a glowing top note of myrrh.

If anything it is softer than the sorts of things I usually prefer which is unusual given the notes. It reminds me of the outdoors. Nice if you are looking for something woodsy but not overwhelming.

Unfortunately, on me, Omen remained a little too deep and mysterious. It was lovely myrrh-patchouli in the imp, but as soon as it hit my skin, all the notes muddled together and tried to come up at once, leaving me with a "perfume" impression, but not one of a blend.

In Vial: Strong and perfumey

Wet: This is much milder on. Powdery with a mix of toilet cleaner

Dry: Harsh and medicinal

Noooooooo. I had to go wash this one off. On me it's dirt that seems almost cloyingly sweet. I think it's the Juniper I don't like, but not having tried any other earthy scents I can't be certain. I wore it for half an hour in the hopes that it would morph into something better, but it stayed the same. :P

This one is a dirty gin like scent on me. At the beginning, it kinda smelled like old spice... but as it dries, both the gin from the juniper berries and the bitterness of the oakmoss come to the forefront.

I would classify this as a manly scent.

In the imp:Very herbal. I can see why so many people compare it to gin.

Wet on skin: This immediately goes tart and sharp on me. Still very earthy. I can smell the juniper, but it's not very strong. None of the notes really jump out and howl at me, they are all very well blended. It starts to get smoother pretty quickly. It has a nice earthy bohemian feel.

Drydown: This could be a great unisex scent. It's not too masculine, yet not very feminine. It gets sweeter, softer and even a bit creamier with time. It's very nice.

Overall: I like it as an outdoorsy kind of scent. I like it. It's not amazing, but it's quite nice. I will definitely wear it again.

Good stuff! I immediatly liked this one - good throw, great staying power. Smells of dried roses like zombie, with a spicy undertone that livens it up. The dirty patchouli comes out after about an hour and blends with the rose in a great way! Keeper :)

Uhm.

On me, this turns into Thai Iced Tea. Sweet and creamy with that smoked wood scent, and sweetness.

Omnomnomnomnomnom.

What more is there to say?

(Nomnomnom).

Imp sniff: the juniper smells quite fresh, as in Black Forest, but here it's tacked down with the bits of patchouli and maybe the oakmoss, which make it a little murkier.

On resniff of the imp, the patchouli and myrrh were definitely bigger players than the juniper.

On skin, now, the patchouli is big from distance. Up close I get a cleaner sort of smell, which seems in line with the way the juniper in BF behaved at first. The patchouli, coupled with something else here, is soft and demure. Does not at all come across head-shoppy. The juniper berry is barely present, lending the barest tartness to the patchouli and I find that the myrrh may be lending its subtle "bubblegum" aroma to sweeten up the patchouli as well. This makes for some nice patchouli. I keep catching heavier bubblegum whiffs now and again, though. It smells mostly woodsy, somehow which I really enjoy. I think the oakmoss musk develop out because there's a bit more green now, less bubblegum for sure, and it's really comforting.

In the very end, the patchouli boots all the other scents out. Nice, for a patchouli blend, but not amazing.

In imp and wet on skin: I dont know if I have a different Omen, but this is not the dark scent I was expecting! The juniper berry and myrrh come out forefront on my skin to make this light, almost fruity... where is the patchouli?? the oakmoss??? I smell it in the imp, but not on the skin at all! strange! Nice, but again, so not what I expected it to be.

Drydown: Okay, theres some of the "dark" the oakmoss is joining up with the juniper berry, its smelling a little more foresty. Like a dark dry forest. I still dont get even a hint of patchouli. I like this alot. Much better on drydown than the initial scent.

Much later on Drydown: Yesssssss, this is like Premature Burial or Burial...THERE is the patchouli, giving it a nice earth tone. Love! The earth in it is not as strong as PB or Burial, I adore both of those but they make me feel a little sick when its hot and humid out, I think this would be a gorgeous replacement.

PATCHOULI! and MYRRH! and now I'll be adding OAKMOSS! to that list... wasn't oakmoss in La Primavera? It was okay there... this is twenty-two shades of gross on me.

Imp: Straw

Wet: Straw and cedar

Drydown: Woody incense. It's a cross between cedar and sandalwood. This is really dark and mellow. After a couple of hours, I kept getting whiffs of a sweet musky incense. I kept looking around trying to figure out what it was. Well, it was my arm. Close to the skin, I could smell sweet musk and sandalwood, but when my arm was moving around, the wafting scent was a sweet, thick, heavy unburned incense of musk and sandalwood. Fabulous!! :bow:

Overall: This scent has good throw. It really morphs on my skin and I prefer the drydown to the initial stage. It is a fabulous "dark" scent. I want to try this one on my husband. :lol:

Inside the imp, it's patchouli and oak notes.

Wet on the skin, starts out the same: patchouli & oak. Goes to woody incense within minutes of application. I get a little juniper berry as it dries more.

Surprisingly nice on my skin. I will keep my imp, but I don't love this enough for an entire bottle.