Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SKiser

The Musk Thread! Need to know what type is for you?

I tend to like vanilla musk scents for myself so I'm wondering what everyone recommends that would smell similar.

I've read about a couple of the "sugar" scents but don't want necessarily sweet, but vanilla - y. I know, I'm clear as mud but hoping this comes through with some sort of sense!!

Thanks

Vanilla musk scents are a new favorite of mine thanks to BPAL.

Dorian, Black Opal, and Morocco are all winners in my book.

Snake Oil is also in this group although much depends on skin chemistry as to how this will play on your skin.

For sweet vanilla, you might have a harder time finding something that exactly fits the bill.

Midway an LE from Carnaval Noire is sweet and foody.

Dana O Shee has a creamy almost vanilla quality to my nose.

Peitho is a wearable jasmine blend that ends up as a toasted vanilla on me.

don't forget Antique Lace as well! soft and powdery vanilla + white musk

Edited by Galen

dorian, lick it, bearded lady, antique lace, black opal, snake oil are all winners in the musky vanilla race. none of these are pure vanilla-musk, though.

dorian's got a bit of a lemon-tea note

lick it's got a bit of a minty note

bearded lady's got a bit of a floral note

antique lace's got a bit of a linen-floral note

black opal's got a bit of a mineral note.

snake oil's got a big spicy component.

i especially love lick it and bearded lady and black opal.

The vanilla musk scents are wonderful. These two notes go together so well and a lot of my favourite BPALs have that combination...Snake Charmer's another one, also LE and similar to Snake oil, but I love it better than Snake Oil as it's fruitier and a bit lighter.

Lick it has a musk component as well as minty vanilla? *adds to list of future orders*

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Hiya,

Agreed, Snake Charmer is wonderful vanilla-musk. Other notes there too, but these two are strong on my skin. I haven't tried most of the others mentioned here but Antique Lace is definitely on my to-buy list.

Not sure if this thread is restricted to bpal (please delete if it is) but if you like room scents/tarts, I've just discovered Alternative Breedings' 'Dirty Vanilla' tart - vanilla, balsam peru, patchouli and dark musk. Hoo boy it makes the house smell divine. I didn't even know there was patchouli in it at first, because if I did I never would have tried it, but what a surprise!. There's a thread here in 'retail therapy' I think about Tod's tarts.

i thought lick it dried to a minty vanilla-musk but ymmv

(of course, i thought snake charmer smelled nothing like snake oil once i got my proper HoM and SC from the lab!)

Black Opal and Antique Lace. Both of those are really worth giving up a chunk of your soul for if you like musk+vanilla. Be damned, but smell good!

blackopal.jpg or antiquelace.jpg

Exactly. Snake Charmer. Can't top that.

There's one scent that isn't exactly musky-vanilla, but it hints at earthy, musky vanilla and I love it so: Queen of Clubs. Worth trying if you can find an imp.

Dragon's Milk isn't a cloyingly sweet vanilla. It's comforting. You might want to try it since it's a catalogue scent. Tombstone is another good earthy vanilla in the catalogue. Haven't tried Antique Lace. In the immortal words of Gomer Pyle, "Fre shame! Fer shame! Fer shame!"

Trust this is helpful,

yr

So I guess I'm not the only one who saw this headline and immediately thought "Snake Charmer"! :P It's a LE but you can probably find it here and there on eBay, Livejournal or in the swap forums.

You also might want to look into some of the scents with an amber-musk base as well -- there are a fair number of them, and amber can smell a bit similar to vanilla sometime. Haunted, Imp, Coyote, Fenris Wolf, Titus Andronicus, and Loviatar are a few examples. Some of those are classed as "traditionally masculine", but don't smell at all masculine on me...

I am new to musk. I always equated musk with how skunks smell or sweat, and, not liking either of those scents very much, I have always stayed away from anything with musk.

Well.

I got an imp of Thanatopsis in a swap and I loved it! I could smell this sweet warm silky scent that I found to be "musk" (since the only other ingredients are pine and juniper). Then I tried Haunted which was amber (which I love) and musk (which I thought I loved...) and it was musk ick (on me anyway)- this was the musk I was afraid of! Then today, I tried Dragon's Heart which I am in love with. It has the same beautiful warm musk that I loved in Thanatopsis. So I am stumped.

I ask thee, Musk Experts, for your wisdom....

Sounds like you'd be better with the lighter musks, like white musk. I would try experitmenting. A lot of people discount musks automatically. I, however, really like them and think they add a lot of depth to a fragrance. Light one are always easier to get accustomed to. Try something like antique lace.

Edited by Rheliwen

Musks are my favorite; some people always say they smell like animal sex... but if animal sex smelled that good, I'd quit my job and breed ferrets in my living room.

To me musk smells like clean skin. Black musk = clean men; red musk = clean women; white musk = clean babies. But that's just me.

In addition to Antique Lace, I'd try Morocco. And if you can wear patchouli at all, Vechernyaya is a lovely musk and patchouli blend (I'm not much of a patchouli fan, but it's really amazing in Vech.).

I had a similar experience with Haunted. I was expecting to love it - amber + musk should = good - but it turned oddly lemony on me. I smelled like a musky lemon bar rolled in baby powder. It was very peculiar.

Yeah, Haunted has black musk. I LOVE all musks except black musk--it can be weirdly powdery on me. It's definitely the strongest, and something that people seem to generally either really like or dislike.

My favorites are red musk (Fenris Wolf, Scherezade) and golden musk (Coyote, Bengal). Mmmmm...

I love white musk or light musk scents - but I want something a little different. Are there any BPAL scents that would work especially well for me? I would like a scent to call my own. :P Thanks!

buck moon immediately comes to mind...

this was and is by far my fav white musk from the lab...

enraged bunny musk was nice too...a bit sweeter...

and F5

white chapel is also a winner and being GC still available and

quite refreshing :P

Vechernyaya is a gorgeous not too heavy musk!

eek that was a horribly musky dirty scent on me. :/ probably because nothing but the patchouli showed up though.

i'd recommend:

aeval

lurid (must have if you like purple scents!)

kuang shi

titus andronicus

pysche

bengal

the lady of shallot

Bumping this thread to see if anyone wants to share their latest musk favorites. Recently I've discovered Hellion and I'm really digging its musky, sweet drydown. I also can't seem to get enough of Scherezade and Dragon's Musk. What musk blends do you enjoy?

Perhaps Hermia for a nice, toned-down version of spice. Very nice! I am fans of most of the blends on your list and I think Hermia would fit right in. Also, for a fruity spiciness try Scherazade. Sin is spice with patchouli. It's also a fav!

Scherezade for a sexy spicy musk.

Bengal for a lighter musk with honeyed chai tea type spices.

Maybe Tanin'iver (I haven't tried that one yet, but its got blood musk and cassia).

Bastet if you like almond/lotus...its got egyptian musk and cardamom.

And since you like spice, I'd be silly if I didn't recommend shub niggurath. :P

Adding my vote for Scherezade! It's a wonderfully intoxicating spicy red musk.

Edited by Trishek