Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SKiser

The Musk Thread! Need to know what type is for you?

Black/dark musks are my very favourite, followed by the red in less quantity.

I could roll in Smut and BTBT until I drown, honestly. What are some good, non-floral (definitely no bulb flowers or jasmine) dark musk blends?

It looks like Red Musk is my winner: it works fabulously on me, smells fantastic, but I have to be careful with it, because I tend to amp it like crazy!

My nemesis? White musk. It's one of the few common notes in the blends that turn to straight baby powder on me, Lurid being the most recent. It smelled great in the imp, but turned to baby powder almost the instant it was applied. Same thing with Dragon's Musk ... it turns into baby-powdery flowers within minutes, even though it smells divine in the imp.

Red musk is also a winner on me, as are the fuzzy sorts of musks (Coyote). White/light/pale musks, skin, and black musk are hit or miss depending on what they're mixed with and usually ends up as powder. BTBT for example was pretty bad on me while WILF, which has both red and black musks, is pretty awesome. 51 (white and green musks) was terrible but I can wear Dorian (pale musks, which I'm assuming includes white). Embalming Fluid was ruined by the white musk.

I also love that golden musk that's in Imp and would love to find more of that. Is that the same musk that's in Elf too? Its warm and yummy and I need more.

As for my favorite red musk scents ... Crowley (also a favorite leather blend), Smut, and Snake Oil most likely :yum:

Edited by captnklaus

I could roll in Smut and BTBT until I drown, honestly. What are some good, non-floral (definitely no bulb flowers or jasmine) dark musk blends?

luna negra is, in my opinion, the best dark musk blend out there. sexiness. :yum:

Luna Negra: The solace of shadows: blackberry and blackcurrant with Nepalese amber, kewda attar, and a deep, rich, sweet dark musk.

it is just *SO* good. i hope they re-release it at some point. i will buy ALL THE BOTTLES.

raven moon is also a delicious dark musk, albeit more creepy-dark than sexy-dark. which is sometimes called for. ;)

Raven Moon: Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance: shining, moonlit ebony musk with benzoin, myrrh, smoky vanilla, patchouli, nutmeg, and dried red chili.

Edited by joyfulgirl

All the musks are good on me. Black, red, white, blue, green, skin, dark, Moroccan, Siberian, Egyptian; clean, dirty, perfumey, powdery, soapy -- you name it. I am a musk monster. My only caveat is I can't wear them if they also contain boozy notes or vanilla (with a few exceptions) -- adding those notes generally will make a musk blend smell sour or plastic-y on my skin. So, I can't wear, for example, Snow White or Smut. But I'm always looking for new ones to try.

My favorite musky scents are: Psychological Horror, Black Lace, Anactoria 2013, Scherezade, Dragon's Musk (I've gone through at least 10 bottles of this), Senelion, Berenice, Siberian Musk SN, Hygeia, The Velvets, The Shadowy and the Sublime, The Grindhouse, Coxcomb, Creature Feature, Lust v7, Buck Moon, Enraged Orangutan Musk, Old Demons of the First Class, Unveil the Grace in Thine Eyes, and Infernal Lover (all versions).

The one BPAL musky LE I would bring back, if I could, is Senelion. It's as close to being perfect as a red musk blend can be. When I wear it, I am in love with myself. :lol:

luna negra is, in my opinion, the best dark musk blend out there. sexiness. :yum:

Luna Negra: The solace of shadows: blackberry and blackcurrant with Nepalese amber, kewda attar, and a deep, rich, sweet dark musk.

it is just *SO* good. i hope they re-release it at some point. i will buy ALL THE BOTTLES.

raven moon is also a delicious dark musk, albeit more creepy-dark than sexy-dark. which is sometimes called for. ;)

Raven Moon: Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance: shining, moonlit ebony musk with benzoin, myrrh, smoky vanilla, patchouli, nutmeg, and dried red chili.

Oh my GOD I'm going to have to chase down at least a decant of both! They sound DIVINE. <3

Oh my GOD I'm going to have to chase down at least a decant of both! They sound DIVINE. <3

These do sound good!!! I WANT!

I agree with you Fuhrankie, I could roll around with smut until I drown as well!

Red musk is also a winner on me, as are the fuzzy sorts of musks (Coyote). White/light/pale musks, skin, and black musk are hit or miss depending on what they're mixed with and usually ends up as powder. BTBT for example was pretty bad on me while WILF, which has both red and black musks, is pretty awesome. 51 (white and green musks) was terrible but I can wear Dorian (pale musks, which I'm assuming includes white). Embalming Fluid was ruined by the white musk.

I also love that golden musk that's in Imp and would love to find more of that. Is that the same musk that's in Elf too? Its warm and yummy and I need more.

As for my favorite red musk scents ... Crowley (also a favorite leather blend), Smut, and Snake Oil most likely :yum:

Clearly I need to try Crowley because I also love me some leather :) I mentioned this upthread but my current dark musk favorite is Iago, which is basically just black musk + leather + vetiver. OM NOM. Dracul is another good one.

So I'm intrigued -- 51 and Dorian are both really bad on me due to some musk note (white? green?) amping like crazy and drowning out everything else. Both had a really specific perfume-countery note that I didn't like. Embalming Fluid wasn't great either but was partially saved by the lemon.

Edited by quickdrawkiddo

Green musk recs? Smite thy Borders With Frogges almost works but is too soapy. Laughter of Loki and Zombie Green Hair Gloss are amazing, though.

Green musk recs? Smite thy Borders With Frogges almost works but is too soapy. Laughter of Loki and Zombie Green Hair Gloss are amazing, though.

Recalcitrant Dragon is probably my favourite!

Palus nebularum is strange and pretty.

Recalcitrant Dragon is probably my favourite!

Mine too! It's awesome and unique.

ETA: Haven't tried it, but Venus Murcia sounds good too - Crushed grass, honey myrtle, and dew-touched green musk.

The recent Weenie Die Nacht also had green musk - A haze of verbena, lemon rind, transparent amber, ectoplasmic green musk, ti leaf, and bamboo. Not sure how prominent it was though, as the other notes kept me from trying it.

Edited by LizziesLuck

I amp the hell out of green musk. Venus Murcia was indeed very pretty and fresh at first, when I could actually smell the other notes. Geisha in a Green Kimono was also nice. Bright citrus and tea w/ g. musk. I think Mag Mel might have some green musk in it as well.

Die Nacht. It's green musk with faint traces of lemon verbena.

51 & Pollution are my green musk go-to, they have that 'ethereal' green musk vibe vs. 'scaly.' I did not love the 'scaly' green musk in Recalcitrant Dragon, and I probably would not like Laughter of Loki for that reason - hit my nose wrong. Auroraphobia has that ethereal green musk too and it's nice but soapy as well. Die Nacht falls under the 'ethereal' as well.

Sounds like I need to try Venus Murcia and zombie green hair gloss...

Also ...Speak to me of Egyptian musk. What is it?

Edited by Happicuppa

For those of you whose skin turns white and blue musk to soap... Which perfumes with musk notes play nicer with your skin (ie. don't go to the soap territory)?

For those of you whose skin turns white and blue musk to soap... Which perfumes with musk notes play nicer with your skin (ie. don't go to the soap territory)?

White musk is almost always a disaster on my skin. Sjofn & Oberon are my two WM Unicorns. No soap, no high-pitched unpleasantness. Good, from the RPG's, is almost a Unicorn. I keep trying my imp, and it's really nice, but eventually the WM starts to rub me the wrong way because it seems to be longer-lasting than the notes that were balancing it.

White musk is almost always a disaster on my skin. Sjofn & Oberon are my two WM Unicorns. No soap, no high-pitched unpleasantness. Good, from the RPG's, is almost a Unicorn. I keep trying my imp, and it's really nice, but eventually the WM starts to rub me the wrong way because it seems to be longer-lasting than the notes that were balancing it.

The sounds really good, especially Sjofn and Good! I will have to try them. :)

I used to like red musk, and then every scent I tried with it was suddenly super fruity evil. I thought it was my skin chemistry, until I went back and tried some of the blends I'd originally liked, and they were still warm and slightly woody deliciousness! I don't know if Beth started using a new synthetic red musk, but I'd love to find more of those old school red musks. Are there any newer blends that people recommend where the musk is that lovely warm dry woody-incensey version, not crazed cherries?

I cannot for the life of me wear anything at all with a white musk in it. No matter how good the rest sounds, if 'white musk' appears it's going to turn into a screaming cheap soap. Same goes for florals. The only 'whites' I can wear are patchouli and sandalwood. Sob. That said, basically every other musk is beautiful on me. Skin musk can end up smelling like, um, clean sex, if that makes any sense? You might have better luck with warm color musks (red, brown, black, and furry). I haven't tried green musk, so I can't speak to that. But give those warmer, darker colors a try. Coyote is a great furry musk, and I'm 90% sure our beloved Snake Oil has red musk in it. Raven Moon is a good black musk that isn't too difficult to find even though it's an LE. I know I've tried something with brown musk that had a similar kind of fuzzy/furry scent to it, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I used to like red musk, and then every scent I tried with it was suddenly super fruity evil. I thought it was my skin chemistry, until I went back and tried some of the blends I'd originally liked, and they were still warm and slightly woody deliciousness! I don't know if Beth started using a new synthetic red musk, but I'd love to find more of those old school red musks. Are there any newer blends that people recommend where the musk is that lovely warm dry woody-incensey version, not crazed cherries?

I have quite a selection of red musks in my collection, and none seem to do the evil fruity thing. Only one I tried that did was Smut. Can you be specific about which ones smell good on you and which are bad? Then maybe we can suggest ones from around the same time frame. :D

OR is it possible you like red musk only after it's aged, and fresh it does the fruity thing?? Just a thought!

So many of my BPAL loves are dripping with dark and red musks!

I love the white musk drydown of Fae and wish there were other BPAL blends that had the same feel: it's so creamy and really hangs around; the other notes fade into it seamlessly. Antique Lace did it, too... :cry2:Any other white musk recs that don't screech?

I cannot for the life of me wear anything at all with a white musk in it. No matter how good the rest sounds, if 'white musk' appears it's going to turn into a screaming cheap soap. Same goes for florals. The only 'whites' I can wear are patchouli and sandalwood. Sob. That said, basically every other musk is beautiful on me. Skin musk can end up smelling like, um, clean sex, if that makes any sense? You might have better luck with warm color musks (red, brown, black, and furry). I haven't tried green musk, so I can't speak to that. But give those warmer, darker colors a try. Coyote is a great furry musk, and I'm 90% sure our beloved Snake Oil has red musk in it. Raven Moon is a good black musk that isn't too difficult to find even though it's an LE. I know I've tried something with brown musk that had a similar kind of fuzzy/furry scent to it, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

Have you tried Fae?

I love the white musk drydown of Fae and wish there were other BPAL blends that had the same feel: it's so creamy and really hangs around; the other notes fade into it seamlessly. Antique Lace did it, too... :cry2:Any other white musk recs that don't screech?

Have you tried Fae?

Endymion, Aeval, and King of Hearts had the same white musk in their dry down on me. Aeval especially reminded me of Fae, which I guess makes sense. :) I don't know if the other notes appeal to you, but you might try those.

Edited by VetchVesper

Have you tried Fae?

I haven't worn Fae, but De Vos's Unicorn is a creamy pastel-tinted rose-lavender-apricot + white musk that never turns into dryer sheets on me (always a risk with white musk). It might be in the same creamy fruit/floral white musk family as Fae.

The Hellish Tattoo of the Heart - AMAZING red musk scent. Just putting it out there for the other red musk lovers...