Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SKiser

The Musk Thread! Need to know what type is for you?

I don't know what it is about warm weather, but it tends to make me put away the fragrances that are vanilla-based and break out the musks. I just polished off bottles of Dragon's Musk and Psychological Horror, two of my favorite musky blends, and I've nearly emptied Scherezade.

I like musks of almost any kind, so this is one of my favorite threads; I'm going to read it from the start to see if there are any good musky blends I've missed.

Just about the only type of musk that goes "off" on me is musk blended with honey. That can sometimes be too sweet and sort of plastic-y -- Lady Una, for example, didn't work on me. I *did* try a dab of Against Idleness and Mischief (which has honey) the other day, and that was nice. Kind of like Aeval without the sage and sweet pea. I'm sure there must be some musk in there somewhere.

Warm weather and musk go together much better than i would have thought. Especially the white and egyptian-type musks and even red musk because of that fruity aspect it has. And stuff like Dorian or Zephyr.

And by the way - does anyone have any recommendations for a mostly pure skin musk scent? I loved the note in Ebisu but the oakmoss and mandarin in there with it were not that great.

Hi,

I am curious about the violet musk. I have tried some bpal oils that smells like violet musk to me (my imagination :wub3: ) although I do not exactly know how violet musk smells.

Perhaps it is a combination of some notes.

Here are the blends I've tried:

Lucretia (vanila musk+violets)

The Velvets (inky musk+violets)

Bruised Violet Compound (not a musk note listed in the ingredients, perhaps patchouli leaf gives a feeling like musk)

Violet Ray (purple musk was to die for :) )

Do you know any other blends which has a true violet musk scent???

Do anyone know the compsition of violet musk??

Okay, so I'm pretty new to BPAL, and I learned pretty quickly that musks completely overpower everything else in a blend and make me smell gross. This has happened with a lot of the stuff I really loved:

Dracul

Cordelia

Snake Oil (no, really)

The Lady of Shalott

Bewitched

However, I mustered up the courage to try out Dorian when it was frimped to me even though THREE of the notes listed are musks, and it turned out being absolutely stunning. What in the world is going on? Which musks are in Dorian? And are there any scents with unlisted musks that are going to sneak out and annihilate the rest of the blend, like Snake Oil?

Hmm... has anyone posted this link here yet?

http://anyasgarden.blogspot.com/2010/06/mystery-of-musk-natural-perfumers-guild.html

Those are things that can be used to make musk like scents. Vanilla, patcholli and laudanum (one of the main thing used to make amber notes), all of which main notes in snake oil, are all naturally musky.

If I were you I would look for common elements on that list between what you amp, and what musks you are fine with, in order to get a better feel for what works on your skin.

Hi,

I am curious about the violet musk. I have tried some bpal oils that smells like violet musk to me (my imagination :wub3: ) although I do not exactly know how violet musk smells.

Perhaps it is a combination of some notes.

Here are the blends I've tried:

Lucretia (vanila musk+violets)

The Velvets (inky musk+violets)

Bruised Violet Compound (not a musk note listed in the ingredients, perhaps patchouli leaf gives a feeling like musk)

Violet Ray (purple musk was to die for :) )

Do you know any other blends which has a true violet musk scent???

Do anyone know the compsition of violet musk??

I am assuming A Nocturnal Reverie has a violet musk in it. It's very light on me though, I was hoping for something darker given all the dark heavy notes.

Hmm... has anyone posted this link here yet?

http://anyasgarden.blogspot.com/2010/06/mystery-of-musk-natural-perfumers-guild.html

Those are things that can be used to make musk like scents. Vanilla, patcholli and laudanum (one of the main thing used to make amber notes), all of which main notes in snake oil, are all naturally musky.

If I were you I would look for common elements on that list between what you amp, and what musks you are fine with, in order to get a better feel for what works on your skin.

Thank you so much for the list! I'm afraid I'm still a little perplexed, though--Dorian was amazing on me, and it had vanilla in it. I'd love to figure out which musks are in Dorian so I know which blends won't turn to straight up musk!

I'm afraid I'm still a little perplexed, though--Dorian was amazing on me, and it had vanilla in it. I'd love to figure out which musks are in Dorian so I know which blends won't turn to straight up musk!

You might just be having trouble with darker musks and perfumey florals. Snake Oil smells like it has lots of bpal's red musk in it, their black/dark musk is pretty sharp and intense, and the Chinese/crystalline musk mixed with perfumey florals went pretty sharp on me too.

Dorian, I think, has more of a creamy/sweet white musk to it, but I get mostly the 'sugared vanilla tea.' Some blends are just heavier on the musk notes. And some white musk scents are more creamy & sweet and others are sharp and perfumey.

Edited by Little Bird

I'm a big fan of musk, two of my favorite scents are Les Bijoux and Torture Queen.

I love the skin musk in Les Bijoux, does anyone know of another scent that compares? Neutral is already on my radar and I can't wait to mix it with a whole bunch of things.

I'm a big fan of musk, two of my favorite scents are Les Bijoux and Torture Queen.

I love the skin musk in Les Bijoux, does anyone know of another scent that compares? Neutral is already on my radar and I can't wait to mix it with a whole bunch of things.

The best scent with skin musk that I have tried is, hands down, Beanman & Beanwoman Prepare to Attack the Vagina (skin musk, white amber, ambergris, orange blossom, ylang ylang, and coconut milk).

Oooh this is the thread for me. I am thinking that I like darker musks, like Playful Wooden Mallets and Verchenyaya. Any other ideas for me?

I do like red musk (Snake Oil, Red Lace, Hygeia) but I find it a little RED MUSK and I have to be in the mood for it.

Bumping this, as I'm in the same boat as stellamaris: dark musk lover here! I LOVE powdery scents - there, I said it, and now I'm going to be shunned by three quarters of the forum! ;) :lol:

My favourite pairing for black musk is amber - Haunted and Bakeneko are two perennial Top 10 scents, and I'd love to find others. Vanilla, spice, woods, resins, and most florals are all notes with which my skin gets along great.

So, for those of you who can stomach darker musks, what would you recommend as a must-try? It sounds like I'll definitely have to track down some Playful Wooden Mallets, that sounds amazing!

So, for those of you who can stomach darker musks, what would you recommend as a must-try? It sounds like I'll definitely have to track down some Playful Wooden Mallets, that sounds amazing!

I think The Velvets is just about the sexiest powdery dark musk smell around! The first note listed is "smooth inky musk!"

Wow, thank you neptuneanblues! The Velvets look perfect - I love violet, and iris, and amber, and incense, and and and...

*scampers off to sales pages*

I find BPAL musks so soothing...sensual...and wearable...especially the dark, powdery ones mixed with patchouli. To put one on, I feel instantly dressed in effortless, comfortable sophistication, day or night. Dance of Death, baby: A gloriously elegant representation of Lady Death. Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh. I wear Snake Oil almost exclusively to work and so many people openly appreciate it. The Siberian musk and vanilla just smell like my skin but better. We are all animals, after all... Both of those and Haunted are my modern Shalimars (which I also wear from time to time, but it is overtly nostalgic, and not BPAL). I wear Le Lethe a lot at home because it's very intimate and has a shorter wearlength: Red musk and sweat-damp golden skin musk with labdanum, golden amber, nutmeg, tobacco absolute, black orchid, and hemlock accord. It's deep, yet soft, like a thick down quilt for the soul. Mme Moriarty is my most worn red musk. Sometimes reds can be spicy yet fleeting, but the patchouli and vanilla keep her going strong enough to go out on the town-sillage like "Woah!" so much I get complements in smokey bars (YEAH!). Dragon's Musk is a catalog must try-I think it has every musk in the book and can go just about anywhere. I couldn't do Dorian (I think it was the tea-too tingy for my chemistry), but I can do Crowley, which I find richer and creamier:Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

Edited by lookingglass

Bumping this, as I'm in the same boat as stellamaris: dark musk lover here! I LOVE powdery scents - there, I said it, and now I'm going to be shunned by three quarters of the forum! ;) :lol:

My favourite pairing for black musk is amber - Haunted and Bakeneko are two perennial Top 10 scents, and I'd love to find others. Vanilla, spice, woods, resins, and most florals are all notes with which my skin gets along great.

Raven moon 2012 is definitely a cold dark musk. It's quite nice. Black musk doesn't usually go powdery on me but there is still a hint of powder in the background. I smell the powdery part more in the bottle.

I like skin musk too. It's discontinued, but my favourite (of all) is Eos. "Softly glowing skin" doesn't directly state musk, but I think it's clear. It's gorgeous, IMO.

Hi Ishtar! It's not a dark musk scent, but Psychological Horror (sold by Dark Delicacies) is the powderiest musk BPAL has ever put out, IMO. And it's gorgeous. I have gone through at least 10 bottles of this oil, no joke.

I second the rec of The Velvets, which is, in fact, a dark and powdery musk scent, but still very wearable and reminiscent of classic perfumes -- kind of like Haunted's dark cousin. The Shadowy and the Sublime and The Moon Gazed Upon My Midnight Labors also fall into this category. Senelion, too, is powdery, red/dark musk heaven, and drop-dead sexy.

Old Demons of the First Class is a dark musk that's not really powdery, but amazing just the same. And I'm sure you've tried Siberian Musk SN, but if you haven't, get some! You will love it. Oh, and if you want some hardcore dark musk, give Debauchery a try. It's musk with civet. Smells a little off-putting in the bottle, but really blooms into a sinister, powdery dark musk on the skin.

How have I not seen this thread!?? I have recently discovered that I love the musks. Although I'm still pretty confused about all the different variations. Smut 2013 is my newest obsession, and I'm curious about which three musks are in that blend. Does anyone know?

Also loving:

Dorian, Jareth, Good, Joyful Moon, Summer's End: Under the Harvest Moon, Snake Charmer, and Victoria

After reading that list, I realize that I'm really staying pretty close to white musk. Does anyone have suggestions for other musk scents? I'd love to explore some of the darker musks. However, there is a caveat--I absolutely cannot do patchouli or chocolate of any sort. My skin turns them both really gross.

Aeval's a nice light musk blend that reminds me a little of Dorian, although sometimes the sage can give it a bit of a medicinal edge to my nose.

Red musk is sweet and strong, with a sort of fruity or sweet incense quality to some people. Spellbound's a good introduction if you like rose, and I get a lot of it out of fresh Snake Oil as well, though it's not a listed note.

Apologies if this has been covered upthread, but I just tried Dorian for the first time and I discovered (somewhat to my chagrin) that it has the exact same musk note as 51. It doesn't necessarily smell bad on me, but it reminds me of a perfume I wore all the time in junior high, back when I didn't really know what perfume was supposed to smell like. I want to say it was Avon's Skin Musk? Anyway, on me it completely overpowers all the notes I like in both Dorian and 51, to the point that they smell exactly the same to me after a couple of hours. Does anyone know what musk this is? I want to say it's a green musk but I'm not sure.

FWIW, I've discovered by trial and error that anything with black musk smells *amazing* on me, so I'm tickled by all the "eeeww heavy musk begone!" replies :)

After reading that list, I realize that I'm really staying pretty close to white musk. Does anyone have suggestions for other musk scents? I'd love to explore some of the darker musks. However, there is a caveat--I absolutely cannot do patchouli or chocolate of any sort. My skin turns them both really gross.

My current black musk obsession (and I don't throw that word around) is Iago, though steer clear if you don't like leather or vetiver because it hits all three of those notes pretty hard. That equals instant love for me but I'm a weird girl :) Dracul has the same note but it's softer and less scary -- it's very warm, gender-neutral, and mysterious, if that makes sense. And for me the ultimate "dark" musk scent is Queen -- I have no idea if that's black musk, civet, or something else entirely, but it's to DIE for sexy on me -- sort of a woodsy musk with a hint of naughty floral in the background.

Quickdrawkiddo, my personal favorite BPAL is just black musk and cinnamon, Playful Wooden Mallets. It was an LE from last year.

You also might want to try Miss Forcible, from Neil Gaiman's Coraline, it's dark musk and very awesome. there is a sugary note at the top of it.

I just realized after a quick reorganization of my stash last night that my "musk" partition in my BPAL box (I use a tea chest with different compartments) is completely full! Mostly with red musk blends, but a couple of other musks (Oisin's white, Coyote's skin/animal, SN Siberian Musk) are in there too... and I'm expecting a bottle of Third Charm soon! Gonna have to reorganize them into "dark" and "light" musks in separate compartments.

What's everybody's favorite red musk? I think mine is a three-way tie between Devil's Night (2009 is my personal favorite), Red Lace and Snake Oil.