Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SKiser

The Musk Thread! Need to know what type is for you?

Is it just me or do Red Musk scents seem to be a little short lived? It seems as though i only get a few hours wear from Mircalla (although it is still totally worth it, don't get me wrong). It lingers in my hair or if some of the oil gets on the collar of my shirt, but on my skin it only lasts maybe 4-5 hours tops. Snake Charmer seems to do the same thing, and Midnight Kiss as well. For some reason light musks and skin musk seem to last a really long time on me (The Girl, Velvet Nudie, Illustrated Woman).

Hillary, have you tried Scherezade, Spellbound or The Grindhouse? Those are all pretty long lasting on me.

I agree, Snake Charmer doesn't have quite the lasting power I'd prefer. It's a gorgeous scent, though! Does it even have red musk? I have yet to try Mircalla, but I have a bottle on the way so I'll let you know if my experience is similar to yours.

I'm working on swapping for The Grindhouse, but i haven't tried the other two yet (i should look for imps!). For a while i though Red Musk didn't work on me (because Smut was funky and Mme. Moriarty was a big ole head-shop) but after falling in love with Mircalla....well, I'm determined to find other Red Musk blends that love me :)

I think I have issues with musk, which I didn't realize until I noticed this pattern of me SERIOUSLY amping certain perfumes -- that's right, with musk. If I'm wearing musky scents, I'm usually drawn to the white/pale/crystalline/skin/etc. musks, so I haven't really noticed it. But when I venture into other, stronger "colors" the amping is noticeable and makes me kinda nauseous.

I even have a period of a few hours during Mlle. Lilith (which is only pink musk, as I recall) where it's like WHOA, way too much. I almost ran out of the middle of the class to wash it off.

Was it this thread, where I read that maybe certain people are just musky, naturally? Maybe I don't need any extra oomph. (And maybe I shouldn't buy that bottle of Mme. Moriarty, sadness.)

I have fallen HARD for Red Musk. It is quite possibly my favorite BPAL note, with vanilla perhaps a close second. Here's the issue....i want to try more blends with this beloved note. So far Mircalla and Scherezade are absolutely awesome on my skin. Snake Oil is also great around one year aged, but i get zero Red Musk from it, i've simply seen that many suspect Snake Oil contains red musk. Mme Moriarty was ok, but something in that blend skewed it toward a more masculine scent on me, i'm not certain what the culprit was. Smut was, again, just ok. Not awful, OMG, wash it off, just mostly an unremarkable powdery scent. I've heard that The Grindhouse is a great spicy red-musk floriental type fragrance, and it's on my "to try" list. What next? Recommendations from my fellow red musk lovers??

PS - i do well with many other musk notes that Beth uses....skin, white, blue, "pale" (as in The Girl); Rose hates me, otherwise i'd be all over Spellbound; Jasmine and Gardenia can be bad in large doses; I love notes like vanilla, honey, spices, carnation. Other favorite blends (not including Red Musk) are Antique Lace, Black lace, Antikythera Mechanism, Illustrated Woman, Giant Vulva, O, Dorian, and The Girl.

Sorry for the novella, any recommendations are greatly appreciated :wub2:

I have fallen HARD for Red Musk. It is quite possibly my favorite BPAL note, with vanilla perhaps a close second. Here's the issue....i want to try more blends with this beloved note. So far Mircalla and Scherezade are absolutely awesome on my skin. Snake Oil is also great around one year aged, but i get zero Red Musk from it, i've simply seen that many suspect Snake Oil contains red musk. Mme Moriarty was ok, but something in that blend skewed it toward a more masculine scent on me, i'm not certain what the culprit was. Smut was, again, just ok. Not awful, OMG, wash it off, just mostly an unremarkable powdery scent. I've heard that The Grindhouse is a great spicy red-musk floriental type fragrance, and it's on my "to try" list. What next? Recommendations from my fellow red musk lovers??

Try Vixen and Sin:

Sin
(Sin & Salvation) - Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

Vixen
(Ars Amatoria) - Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

I know they don't list red musk, but it's definitely in there. Czernobog is also very heavy on the red musk:

Czernobog
(Excolo) - A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

re red musk: I would also suggest you try out Midnight Kiss!

for myself, it turns out that musk is simply gorgeous on me. The Smut Kind, the Black Forest Kind, the Haunted kind. There are very few types that havent smelled good on me. The ones I love though are the softer animal ones. Coyote, Ivanushka, Buck Moon are the ones I know I love. I havent tried Oborot, but understand it might be right up my alley? Any other true musk lovers have recommendations? I'm really hoping theres a new one at Yule for me to love - snow and fur =)

Try Vixen and Sin:

Sin
(Sin & Salvation) - Thoroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.
Vixen
(Ars Amatoria) - Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

I know they don't list red musk, but it's definitely in there. Czernobog is also very heavy on the red musk:

Czernobog
(Excolo) - A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein.

Lady Lilith has a really strong red musk component on me. It mixes with the white musk and overall the drydown of this scent is extremely musky in a fruity-sweet way.

Krampus is really heavy on the red musk too, but with woods and something dusty and possibly some patchouli. A red musk scent that is very strong but not sweet at all.

Bloodlust is a GC with a lot of red musk, vetivert and spices.

War has three red musks (I didn't know there were more than one!) and ginger. The ginger was a killer for me but maybe you have better luck.

You missed Marianne but if you can find some she might be worth a try.

What I was actually going to ask: Is there a sort of master list of all the bpal musk notes? There are just so many.

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

Apple- Thanks so much, i didn't realize Vixen or Sin even had Red Musk!

CaudaPavonis - You're totally right about Midnight Kiss, i actually do have that one (i always forget to mention it when i'm discussing Red Musk for some reason) and it is really, really good!

ImperatrixMundi - Thanks for the Marianne rec, i'll have to add her to my WL and hope i get lucky! Also, is the Vetivert in Bloodlust really strong?

And thanks IvyandPeony, i had no idea there was a whole thread for Red Musk!

Neither did I, or I probably wouldn't have tried them (sadly, red musk hates me). :P Hope you enjoy them!

CaudaPavonis - You're totally right about Midnight Kiss, i actually do have that one (i always forget to mention it when i'm discussing Red Musk for some reason) and it is really, really good!

ImperatrixMundi - Thanks for the Marianne rec, i'll have to add her to my WL and hope i get lucky! Also, is the Vetivert in Bloodlust really strong?

And thanks IvyandPeony, i had no idea there was a whole thread for Red Musk!

re: Bloodlust - yes, the vetivert it pretty strong in it

For the person asking for red musk recs I think red phoenix would be perfect I sold mine because iwas poor and regretted it ever since mircalla reminds me of it ;)

Does anyone have any Abe Sapien like musk recommendations (particularly in the GC)? My friend loves the musk dry down in Abe Sapien, but it's got a fairly long 'wet' stage where it smells like overpowering Right Guard men's deodorant. :lol:

What's the deal with black musk? I think I've tried it a couple times, and it tended to be baby-powdery on me. I really want to like Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, so tell me about the black musk in it. Is there anyone who has black musk go powdery in some scents and not in others?

What's the deal with black musk? I think I've tried it a couple times, and it tended to be baby-powdery on me. I really want to like Black Temple Burlesque Troupe, so tell me about the black musk in it. Is there anyone who has black musk go powdery in some scents and not in others?

On me, black musk is pretty much all powder, all the time... which is heart-breaking, because it's in so many otherwise delicious-sounding blends, Black Temple Burlesque Troupe included. :( The black musk is the only thing preventing me from ordering a bottle unsniffed.

I believe septima_pica has had some luck with aging blends that contain black musk to prevent the doom powder reaction.

Edited by Apple

It is very, very similar to the black musk in Haunted. It's a dark, sweet musk on me, only the tiniest bit powdery. Maybe my skin chemistry is lucky when it comes to Black Musk.

Thanks for making my post for me, Apple! :lol: I have indeed found some success with aging stuff to get rid of doom powder. In particular, wearing Dracul fresh is a disaster because the black musk is super-powdery. Aged, though, it's one of my favourites. Unfortunately, this takes a long time to work -- my current bottle of Dracul is about three years old, and I really couldn't wear it at all for the first 1 to 1.5 years. I have another one aging for whenever I run out of the first one. Imps, as usual, age a bit faster -- six months to a year to wearable.

So my advice is that you might want to decant an imp from your bottle of Black Temple Burlesque Troupe and try it intermittently over the next year. If it does the same thing as Dracul on me, the powdery black-musk disaster will last less and less time and eventually vanish entirely, turning into a sort of dark fuzzy background note that doesn't obscure everything else.

Bleargh, Haunted went to powder on me. But! That one has amber, too, and amber always goes powdery. So maybe I won't have so much trouble without the amber.

I think I like black musk--it always strikes me as clean skin, I think. I think I need to more aggresively try more things with musk in it, as my skin LOVES them, and my nose loves them, too!

I really love the white musk in Dorian. There's a couple in there, but one of them is the exact same "crystalline" musk I adore in Ice Queen. The other white musk is the very one I love in Queen Mab. So...basically, I love musk.

I think I like black musk--it always strikes me as clean skin, I think. I think I need to more aggresively try more things with musk in it, as my skin LOVES them, and my nose loves them, too!

I really love the white musk in Dorian. There's a couple in there, but one of them is the exact same "crystalline" musk I adore in Ice Queen. The other white musk is the very one I love in Queen Mab. So...basically, I love musk.

I feel the same (as does my skin) about musk! The only variety i've found that didn't work was pink musk, and even that wasn't bad, it was just meh.

And i agree with Black Musk being a "clean" scent. It has an edge in the wet phase that *almost* has a citrus feel. I'd say almost all of my favorite blends have some musk element (Countess Willie, Snake Oil, Black Temple Burlesque). Now i need to try some of these "furry" musks....i'm really intrigued by Faunalia, the reviews sound lovely.

Road testing the black musk now! It does seem to have dried down much sweeter than I expected, and slightly powdery, but not completely gone to powder (and it's been over 2 hours, so I think I'm safe).

Ok so I really really like musky scents. Preferably really heavy on the musk. But I seem to go nuts for a certain feel.

There's something common in Loviatar, Mme. Moriarty and Chokmah. The red musk in these seems to be different than everything else I've tried. It's thick and smooth and kinda heavy if that makes sense. Can someone tell me what it is that makes these 3 different and reccomend me some other scents with this kind of musk.

Edited by HighPriestessIce

I haven't tried red musk yet, but black musk and white/pale musk are winners for me - IF they are supported by notes that keep them from fading very quickly into over-sweet powdery blah.

Embalming Fluid and Aeval (both with white/pale musk) are my favorite scents and they last amazingly well on me. Bewitched (black musk) and Dorian (three pale musks) are close behind. BPAL musk/tea and musk/sage is something I am determined to fully explore!

There are lots of musk scents that I want so badly to work that just don't. Black Pearl (awesome for 5 minutes), Zephyr, and Fae are some examples...

the animal musks are velvet goodness on me =) I havent found one I DONT like yet

Same thing, for me--and I'm hoping that things continue in that vein as well. lol.

I don't know what it is about warm weather, but it tends to make me put away the fragrances that are vanilla-based and break out the musks. I just polished off bottles of Dragon's Musk and Psychological Horror, two of my favorite musky blends, and I've nearly emptied Scherezade.

I like musks of almost any kind, so this is one of my favorite threads; I'm going to read it from the start to see if there are any good musky blends I've missed.

Just about the only type of musk that goes "off" on me is musk blended with honey. That can sometimes be too sweet and sort of plastic-y -- Lady Una, for example, didn't work on me. I *did* try a dab of Against Idleness and Mischief (which has honey) the other day, and that was nice. Kind of like Aeval without the sage and sweet pea. I'm sure there must be some musk in there somewhere.