Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

Ok, the hardcore geek in me came out last night and I decided to code the database backend for my "simple html page".

Well, this: http://www.claudia.ca/bpal.html

has morphed into this:

http://www.claudia.ca/cgi-bin/bpal.cgi?cat=tried

Perl with a MySQL backend, password protected add/update/delete function. I've kept it fairly simple for now, but included scent categories (LE, Excolo, etc) to allow for more specific sorting in future. If I've reviewed a scent, it links to a page displaying my review, and a link to the forum review on bpal.org.

This will make life soooo much easier for me!

ETA: damn. Shoulda added a date field.

I just had to post a picture of this as I'm so proud of it

I don't get on with Excel, I prefer databases. I don't have the MS Office database program, so I used the OpenOffice (a completely free suite) one.

Here is an image showing a day's solid work.

Just a thought if you don't like Excel! Although I do admire all the work people put into spreadsheets!

ETA: The database has all the GC collections plus the Carousel and Carnaval Diabolique. I've included LEs only if I have them myself - no use filling up disk space with the Lunacies as I never buy them

It needs updating actually, haven't put the last two updates in yet. Oh well, after exams...

I've been meaning to post this for quite some time. :D

Both of these databases are awesome! Nice work! I even went over to Open Office and started poking around. :D I haven't used a database in...well...forever, but you guys make them look very chic! :P

Does anyone have a copy of the updates since March in Excel format? My spreadsheet is derived from Nattie's, so it doesn't have the last few updates except for some individual scents I've added as I got them.

Does anyone have a copy of the updates since March in Excel format? My spreadsheet is derived from Nattie's, so it doesn't have the last few updates except for some individual scents I've added as I got them.

Full spreadsheet up to last night's update. I only include the scent notes, not the long description, if that matters to you.

Whew, we've finally almost finished the database, after a break of, hm, months :D It was finished enough to upload it, at least.

http://www.innershelter.net/bpal-database

There are still a few details to fix, like the section list showing in all pages but linking only to the owned page, and some other stuff. Oh and I think it still looks weird in IE (all damn IE). It is completely dynamic (absolute overkill!) and the code is a complete nightmare for me to look at, haha! My geek boyfriend coded it. I figured, since you are not a handy person at all and cannot make a perfume cabinet for me, you are gonna have to do something else :D I did the graphics, html templates and the css. Since inserting all of the data directly in the database is insane and gave me headaches, he also made a set of backsites with drop-down menus and text fields from where I can enter all of the data, except a new section. Screenshot of that, it is password protected so you cannot see it online. I also have my "reviews", more appropiately called notes, there in the backsite. I don't really want to make those public, they are terribly messy.

Now it is mostly up to date. Entering everything was some work, too.

:P

Whew, we've finally almost finished the database, after a break of, hm, months :D It was finished enough to upload it, at least.

http://www.innershelter.net/bpal-database

There are still a few details to fix, like the section list showing in all pages but linking only to the owned page, and some other stuff. Oh and I think it still looks weird in IE (all damn IE). It is completely dynamic (absolute overkill!) and the code is a complete nightmare for me to look at, haha! My geek boyfriend coded it. I figured, since you are not a handy person at all and cannot make a perfume cabinet for me, you are gonna have to do something else :D I did the graphics, html templates and the css. Since inserting all of the data directly in the database is insane and gave me headaches, he also made a set of backsites with drop-down menus and text fields from where I can enter all of the data, except a new section. Screenshot of that, it is password protected so you cannot see it online. I also have my "reviews", more appropiately called notes, there in the backsite. I don't really want to make those public, they are terribly messy.

Now it is mostly up to date. Entering everything was some work, too.

:P

WOW. That is amazing!!!

Your Pim is teh roxxor. My Blade has been working on something similar, cause spreadsheets just don't work for me. GUI, please!

Full spreadsheet up to last night's update. I only include the scent notes, not the long description, if that matters to you.

For those of you who do use the spreadsheet, it's updated! All the new stuff's (including Bat's Day, Crypt Queen and the Inquisition) at the bottom of the BPAL tab, and I included the massage oils, nail polishes, and limited edition soaps on the BPTP tab.

Thank you, hackess! I love the look of a clean, new spreadsheet before I mess it all up with my color coding. :P

For those of you who do use the spreadsheet, it's updated! All the new stuff's (including Bat's Day, Crypt Queen and the Inquisition) at the bottom of the BPAL tab, and I included the massage oils, nail polishes, and limited edition soaps on the BPTP tab.

Thank you!!!! :D

I personally find the spreadsheet to have numerous advantages over other systems- it's all a question of how you're using it. :P

Thank you, hackess! I love the look of a clean, new spreadsheet before I mess it all up with my color coding. :P

Me too! I put the new things at the bottom in a group so they can easily be copied into your own version without having to redo the color coding for everything. :D

I have an older spreadsheet than the one being discussed on this page (doesn't have the Stardust/Good Omens update, etc.), and the thing I like about it is that the name of each oil is a link to its review thread. Does anyone have an updated version of that? Sorry for being so demanding, I know it must be hard enough to keep the thing updated at all without adding all the review threads. :P

I have an older spreadsheet than the one being discussed on this page (doesn't have the Stardust/Good Omens update, etc.), and the thing I like about it is that the name of each oil is a link to its review thread. Does anyone have an updated version of that? Sorry for being so demanding, I know it must be hard enough to keep the thing updated at all without adding all the review threads. :P

I plan to add them back in as I can. I tend to update the spreadsheet right after the updates are released, so there's a gap between then and when the reviews are available.

I found this website through someone else - but I can't remember who :/It's a free flow-chart making site, and someone had their BPALz all up, and I said "gosh, what a good idea!" and spent three hours making it :P Really puts the addiction into perspective.

I haven't done it, but I could easily see how you could make subheadings of "Tried and Liked" "Tried and Didn't Like" or "Try this!", to keep track - and when you click on each node, there's a place to write notes to yourself (like reviews, for example)!

Anyway, I think it's supergreat. Hope it helps! :D

Edited because of a spooky formatting issue :D

Edited by SeaLady

I plan to add them back in as I can. I tend to update the spreadsheet right after the updates are released, so there's a gap between then and when the reviews are available.

You do an awesome job! Thanks for all of the updates. I updated the TAL section (and then posted it on the LJ Sin and Salvation community since the forum was down), but here you go if you want it handy:

http://www.paintballcity.org/paintball/Lis...AL%20update.xls

I wasn't trying to steal your thunder, I just got OCD about organizing my TALs one night when I couldn't seem to fall asleep. :D

None are linked to the reviews, since it drives me nuts as I'm apt to inadvertently touch pad onto them and open a browser tab. Yes, I'm special like that.

Edited by LupaWulf

You do an awesome job! Thanks for all of the updates. I updated the TAL section (and then posted it on the LJ Sin and Salvation community since the forum was down), but here you go if you want it handy:

http://www.paintballcity.org/paintball/Lis...AL%20update.xls

I wasn't trying to steal your thunder, I just got OCD about organizing my TALs one night when I couldn't seem to fall asleep. :D

None are linked to the reviews, since it drives me nuts as I'm apt to inadvertently touch pad onto them and open a browser tab. Yes, I'm special like that.

Oh, SWEET. I'll add your TAL edits to my master copy; that was the one section whose accuracy I wasn't sure about. Thanks! :D

Edit: Updated with Beaver Moon, and includes LupaWolf's TAL fixes! I'm adding a column for the review URLs; those of us who dislike inadvertently clicking them can either remove the column entirely if desired, and those who enjoy having the review URLs easily accessible will have them. Hopefully I'll get those up by next major update. $deity help me if I'll have to find and paste in more than the 1215 reviews already in existence...

Edited by hackess

Ok, so I'm still a bit stupid when it comes to Excel. Is it possible to merge a spreadsheet (i.e. the updated one hackess just posted) into an existing one? And if so, how?

Because I have a spreadsheet that's been customized to include my own notes, reviews, what's being swapped, etc... and while I want the updated oils, don't really want to have to redo all that other work.

Any of you Excel gurus have any ideas, tips, hints?

I put the updates at the bottom of the list, so you *should* just have to copy the bottommost lines into your version. Lines 1204-1214 cover the Beaver Moon update.

You may want to start over on the TAL worksheet, though -- that's been redone entirely.