Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

So... anyone have yesterday's update all spreadsheeted? *hopeful look*

I try to add the new scents myself, but I always run into this one problem. When the description contains poetry, or anything else with line breaks, each new line goes into the cell BELOW, rather than it all going into one cell, can anyone tell me how to fix this?

I'm going to post an updated version of my spreadsheet later today. :-)

Oh, what you need to do to fix that is right click, go to "paste special" and paste it as "text." (I think it's text, anyway, can't recall off the top of my head. If "text" doesn't work just try one of the other options, one of them is it, lol!)

My options are "HTML", "Unicode Text", and "Text". I tried them all and none of them did the trick. :P

Thank you very much for the update!

Well, another thing you can do is select the cell, but don't paste right away; click the box at the top where you would type text manually to input it. Once you have the flashing cursor in the box, try hitting paste?

Tell me if that works...

So... anyone have yesterday's update all spreadsheeted? *hopeful look*

I try to add the new scents myself, but I always run into this one problem. When the description contains poetry, or anything else with line breaks, each new line goes into the cell BELOW, rather than it all going into one cell, can anyone tell me how to fix this?

I'm going to post an updated version of my spreadsheet later today. :-)

Oh, what you need to do to fix that is right click, go to "paste special" and paste it as "text." (I think it's text, anyway, can't recall off the top of my head. If "text" doesn't work just try one of the other options, one of them is it, lol!)

My options are "HTML", "Unicode Text", and "Text". I tried them all and none of them did the trick. :D

Thank you very much for the update!

Well, another thing you can do is select the cell, but don't paste right away; click the box at the top where you would type text manually to input it. Once you have the flashing cursor in the box, try hitting paste?

Tell me if that works...

Yes! Yes it does! Thank you! :P

You're not doing anything wrong, per se. You CAN'T edit the one on their site. You have to save it to your computer first, then you'll be able to edit. To save the tutorial, open the EasyToCarry tiddler(it's linked on the left)--it has a link to save. The main site has a link you can save under DownloadSoftware tiddler, too, but that doesn't have the tutorial.

Doh, how did I not think of that! lol. Hey, thanks for the download!!

New download! This one doesn't have nearly as much struck-out text, unlinkified scent names, or extraneous WikiWords. *cough*

If you've already started putting comments in, you can import tiddlers by putting the following into a tiddler in the new one: <<importTiddlers>

Click done and it'll give you a nice interface for importing.

Okay, the 10/13 update is now on the spreadsheet. Enjoy!

http://www.nattiechan.com/BPAL_spreadsheet.shtml

I'm a bit late picking this up, but I wanted to say thank you! I so appreciate you having done the work on this, and keeping it updated!

Ditto to that! I finally have sufficient imps to the point that I'm having option overload - but the thought of creating such a database/spreadsheet was a bit overwhelming. THANK YOU for doing this!!!

Has anyone explored perhaps the possibility of a printed book to record stuff ..... My apologies if I missed the correct place for this I've been working on something for just me but I did send a message to the Lab to see how they felt about it and didn’t know if any one else had gone this direction b4

I don't know much about access, but I was wondering can you import from an excel file to make an access database?

I know how to make one by hand, but if it'd just take the current xls it would be so much quicker. :P

I don't know much about access, but I was wondering can you import from an excel file to make an access database?

I know how to make one by hand, but if it'd just take the current xls it would be so much quicker. :P

You most certainly can :D

Create a blank database, go to get external data, import - when you get the file location box, pick xls excel from the drop down, pick your bpal file. Then you're going to get a wizard thing - pick which sheet you want to make into a table, and follow the steps. Tell it that the first row contains headings, keep clicking next till you're done (all of the defaults are fine). If you need more info, give me a PM :D

OH and you'll likely want each sheet to be it's own table.

nattie- thank you so much for your spreadsheet template! i just downloaded it for the first time. it worked perfectly with open office. i haven't tried that many scents (compared to some people), but enough that i was starting to need some sort of way to keep track. thanks again! :P

Anyone been geeky enough to make a SQL database? I'm taking a database design class this semester, so I've really been considering it (if I can ever get SQL installed on my own machine properly, that is!)

:P Nattie, thanks so much for the spreadsheet! I thought for about 2 seconds about doing my own and ran from said thought in terror. You're a peach!

Nattie, thank you so much! I love this!

I do have one question though. When adding new oils to the sheet, how do I make it so that the long and short descriptions stay in their column and don't bleed into the next one when they are really long?

Thanks for this!

Stacy

Anyone been geeky enough to make a SQL database? I'm taking a database design class this semester, so I've really been considering it (if I can ever get SQL installed on my own machine properly, that is!)

I have one planned, I just haven't done the coding yet. But I have all the tables and queries and forms and whatnot mapped out. I just have to sit down and write the damn thing. I haven't been able to sit at the computer for long enough periods of time since surgery to get it done though. It's a real monster to design - at least this was. I am trying to include swaps and sales as well as inventory.

I do have one question though. When adding new oils to the sheet, how do I make it so that the long and short descriptions stay in their column and don't bleed into the next one when they are really long?

Put a space in the next column - i.e. put a space in the box that they bleed INTO.

Put a space in the next column - i.e. put a space in the box that they bleed INTO.

How simple! :P Thank you so much!

Nattie, thank you so much! I love this!

Thanks for this!

Stacy

You can also go into the cell format option (right click on the cell where you put your info), go to the alignment tab, and check "wrap text" That oughta do it.

The TiddlyWiki is updated with the 11/4 update now, and it's also got an improved search(thanks to a plugin), and an "Updates" tiddler that shows all the ones I've changed so they're easier to import, and I fixed a few things--Halloween 2005 and Yule 2005 were mixed together; they aren't now--and some more minor stuff.

Ok, I have clicked several links to spreadsheets and none of them work....can anyone hook me up? Whatever program you reccomend I'll try. I'm pretty good with computers, and I do have Microsoft Office....

ETA: Nevermind I found it. Why do I always find what I am looking for AFTER I make a post asking about it?

Edited by talula_fairie

*screams*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

For some reason, the Tiddli whatever it is won't let me type in any of the edit boxes. I can get to the box, but NOTHING HAPPENS when I type. I'm using an updated firefox...

AND to top it off, my computer didn't come with microsoft office after all. Well, it did, but only a trial version (though I am snagging a cd key from a friend this afternoon).

So, no spreadsheeting for me today. *le sigh*

ETA! Openoffice.org saves the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by talula_fairie

The TiddlyWiki is updated with the 11/4 update now, and it's also got an improved search(thanks to a plugin), and an "Updates" tiddler that shows all the ones I've changed so they're easier to import, and I fixed a few things--Halloween 2005 and Yule 2005 were mixed together; they aren't now--and some more minor stuff.

ooooook, I'm a bit lost.

I do not have the slighest idea on how to update my copy of the tiddlywiki @_@

I'm very impressed by everyone's methods for tracking their BPAL orders and reviews. I've started tracking mine in a google spreadsheet, which is pretty handy because it's online, so I can make it viewable or editable by anyway. I have a few friends who are also BPAL fans and we might record all of our thoughts on various products and compare impressions. Here's a link to my very beginnings of a google spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pCd...xMKpJ99VIpetZTg

for those having problems with the tiddly wiki, dunno if this is of any help (my highlighting):

I checked it out, and went to do the Tutorial.... but I can't edit. I double click an entry, and get into Edit Mode. I can highlight text and copy it, but can't write or paste anything. There's no cursor either, if there's supposed to be one. I tried in Firefox and IE. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I really want to try it! It does seem cool.

You're not doing anything wrong, per se. You CAN'T edit the one on their site. You have to save it to your computer first, then you'll be able to edit. To save the tutorial, open the EasyToCarry tiddler(it's linked on the left)--it has a link to save. The main site has a link you can save under DownloadSoftware tiddler, too, but that doesn't have the tutorial.

Edited by Galen

Could I ask everyone's opinion of the best/easiest to use tracking system? Say, if you had it to do over again?

I haven't chosen one yet, but I'm at the point where I need to, as I'm already forgetting which oils I've tried and I end up testing them again. So I can definitely see the value of a tool like this & I'd love some input from people who have used them.