Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

If anybody is still looking for an update, you can download my copy here: BPAL Spreadsheet

I just updated mine with the Samhain, Order of the Dragon and A Picnic in Arkham scents. (Typed by the wonderful bifemmefatale) New stuff is at the bottom so you should be able to just copy and paste those rows.

Thankyou muchly for updating - it's helping a newbie to BPAL who is obsessed with making lists attempt to keep organised!

After only a five month hiatus, I have updated the BPAL Spreadsheet. ^^; Beth is up to 945 scents now! You can find it here:

http://www.nattiechan.com/BPAL_spreadsheet.shtml

Besides adding all the new LE and GC scents, the following changes have been made:

- I got rid of the Gender column; this information is usually not even available, and pretty much everything is either feminine or neutral. I may add it back in later and just make specific notes for masculine.

- Added all the Unreleased scents listed in the BPAL review forums.

- Added a number of LEs that were missing, including Convergence and Forum scents, plus just old ones I somehow missed before.

- A lot of reorganization. A Little Lunacy is now listed as Limited Edition: A Little Lunacy. All other LEs that were in their own page on the website for a while are now listed as Limited Edition: (Name of that Line), i.e. Limited Edition: A Demon In My View.

- Changed a bunch of past LEs to Discontinued.

- Many more names of scents were able to be linked to forum reviews. If there is a forum review up, the scent name will be linked to it.

- A lot of the GCs got moved into other categories.

In light of all this, if you want to update to this version of the spreadsheet it will probably be a pain in the ass; there's no real easy way to do it. What did I do? Well, I sorted both by scent name and just manually copied all my stuff over. That can be really annoying, I had a couple hundred comments I needed to copy, but there you go. If you do that, don't forget to copy over the other tabs for buying, selling, and swapping (if you use them).

If you're just getting started and don't have a spreadsheet, this should be helpful. If anything is confusing just read the notes on the website, it should clear things up.

Thanks to arcadia for her help!

computers and i are not friends. after battling to make some sort of sense out of these programs, i decided that, in the spirit of the whispers of the past which float into our lives on our favorite BPAL scents, i shall keep track with an old fashioned pen and paper.

i'm getting a notebook, tab dividers, and i am going to write everything down by hand. it's very romantic. and i have such pretty paper.

i'll have a section of things i've tried, and my thoughts on them. i think this section will be alphabatized by the scent's name, and not by category, as i'm not too familiar with which scents belong to which categories yet. but the category will be among the information on that scent's page, including the description from the site, and my own personal reviews and notes.

ooh, maybe i could print up little labels with pretty BPAL icons for each page!

then i'll do a section for my wishlist, one for swaps, and one to keep track of my purchases.

yay for writer's cramp. much less painful than carpel tunnel!

Spreadsheet has been updated for Kindly Moon; the row is at the bottom of the file if you wanna C&P over. It's only one scent though, lol.

If you have any trouble accessing that page, please let me know. It was acting weird a few days ago.

Thank you so much! For some reason I couldn't get this one to go into one box...though I am very excel stupid sometimes. :P

Thanks! I love the new format, by the way! I'm a huge fan of your spreadsheet.

I was actually working on a sheet for TAL, if you'd like to add that...

Spreadsheet has been updated for Kindly Moon; the row is at the bottom of the file if you wanna C&P over. It's only one scent though, lol.

If you have any trouble accessing that page, please let me know. It was acting weird a few days ago.

Thank you so much! For some reason I couldn't get this one to go into one box...though I am very excel stupid sometimes. :P

Ooooh! I finally got it to work for me. YAY

I have a suggestion! Is it possible to use a color to highlight the row for items that are new or have been updated with each update?

Hm. I only have around 850 on my spreadsheet. Have I missed a collection somewhere?

I have:

A demon in my view

A little lunacy (All the moons)

A picnic in arkham

Ars Draconis

Astrological oils

Bewitching brews

Carnaval Diabolique

Carnaval Noir

Celestials

Dark elements

Diabolus

Excolo

Funeral oils

Halloweenie

Illumination

Illyria

Liber Resh Vel Helios

All the LEs (I checked)

Love potions

Mad tea party

Maelstrom

Rappaccini's Garden

Seven Deadly Sins

Sin & Salvation

All the single notes

Somnium

Springtime in Arkham

Tarot Oils

The Gratiæ

The Kindly Ones

The Norns

The order of the dragon

The Panaceas

The Sephiroth

The Zorya

Voodoo Blends

Wanderlust

(I'd download Nattie's shiny sheet, only I just finished colour-coding mine, and I can't be bothered. ^^; )

Well, I think you're missing The Salon category. That's 16 scents right there.

I would download Nattie's spreadsheet and save it under another name. Print it out and compare it to yours. If it's on your sheet, highlight it on her sheet. Then, everything not highlighted will need to be added or double checked.

Nattie's spreadsheet was missing the 4 Liber Resh Vel Helios scents when I downloaded it the other day, but you already have those so...no worries there...and that may have been fixed by now.

Good luck! :P

ETA: Or, you could open both sheets side by side, add a column to Nattie's and "X" each one that you have, then sort her sheet by the "X" column, and copy/paste the relevant information of the ones without the "X" on her sheet into your sheet, if that makes sense.

Edited by Honeycat

Nattie does have the Liber Resh Helios: They're in with Excolo.

I see them!

She put the "Liber..." part with the names and not the area. That's why I didn't find them when I alphabetized. I was looking for Ra, etc...

Thanks for pointing that out. :D

ETA: Just wanted to add...a big thank you to Nattie...for taking the time to update and even put together this massive spreadsheet! You rock! :P

Edited by Honeycat

I just have to share this, because it's SO COOL. I'm now using a TiddlyWiki to keep track of my BPAL. It's a personal wiki, only it's all in one html file, new pages/entry/tiddlers(their special word for page/entry) open in the same page via JavaScript so you can veiw them all at once, it doesn't save page histories, and it's so much easier to use than regular wikis. Also I'm not exactly sure how you'd set it up on the web so that other people could edit it, but it looks possible. It's incredibly easy to use just for myself, though.

It took a few hours to copy-and-paste all my comments for the scents I've tried(LOTS) into new entries, and I haven't finished putting in all the official info yet, but I'm so jazzed about it. After I made all the "tried" scent entries(all with the tag Tried, and I'm using the tags LE and wishlist and there's going to be swap pile when I get around to it) I made an entry called just BPAL and gave it tags for every GC category. THEN, because making a tag automatically makes an entry for it that you can edit(when you click on a tag in an entry, it brings up a list of all the entries with that tag, and at the bottom of the list there's "Open tag 'tagname'" and if you click that, it opens that tag and it gives links to all the entries in one section and in another section it'll let you edit it, I guess for descriptions of what the tag's for)(and it doesn't have to be in the WikiWord format!) I pasted all the scents from the Bewitching Brews page into the Bewitching Brews tag description and changed all the names into links. That made every single entry for a scent in the Bewitching Brews category have "Bewitching Brews" under References. SO that means I didn't have to go through and individually tag each scent entry with the appropriate category, which I was not looking forward to/planning to do at all. Also it lets me scroll through that category and see which ones I haven't tried, because the links are different for created vs. not-yet-created entries.

It was kind of a pain to have to change all the scent names to WikiWords(which are mixed case and all smushed together... I put BPAL_ in front of all of them, because otherwise the one-word scent names wouldn't make WikiWords and they wouldn't link. Like BPAL_Bliss), though. :P But I didn't see any way around it. That's partly why I haven't done all the categories yet, because that aspect is annoying and takes a little while to finish.

But it's so worth it. I've got all my notes on the scents in one place, my "similar to whateverscent" bits can link, I can search properly now and see all the ones I thought were fruity or earthy at once, and I don't have to open up a whole separate program(I hate opening up Excel; it takes too long and it breaks my flow so much. I tried doing them in a proper database but it got so cumbersome and I had to do lots of formatting. Then I started just keeping them in a text file, and that was okay except there's no searching beyond ctrl+f. This, I just bookmark and use) and it's so convenient.

Also, this way I'll be able to properly account for the subcategories.

Anyone else done something similar?

PS: I should mention it's completely free.

Edited by waywardoctagon

I'm intrigued, waywardoctagon. Is there any chance I could talk you into posting (or PMing me) pictures of how you've set things up?

Not having done much other than put a few entries into a local @home wiki, I'm having trouble visualizing how you've got things going.

So... anyone have yesterday's update all spreadsheeted? *hopeful look*

I try to add the new scents myself, but I always run into this one problem. When the description contains poetry, or anything else with line breaks, each new line goes into the cell BELOW, rather than it all going into one cell, can anyone tell me how to fix this?

I'm intrigued, waywardoctagon. Is there any chance I could talk you into posting (or PMing me) pictures of how you've set things up?

Not having done much other than put a few entries into a local @home wiki, I'm having trouble visualizing how you've got things going.

Screenshots! I'm still working on it, but I've got all the GC categories in now, and some of the LE ones. (You don't see the url bar, but it shows a location on my computer.) Tell me if there's anything else you want to see!

The main page

Opening the General Catalog tag--The list that drops down shows all the tiddlies that have that tag.

What a tag's tiddly looks like--Note the "tagging" box on the left, which lists all the tiddlies that have that tag.

The Ars Draconis tag--This is a tag as well, but the "tagging" box is missing because there aren't any tiddlies with the tag Ars Draconis. I made it a tag instead of a regular tiddly because the way I was doing it made it easier to set it up that way, but you could just make a regular tiddly with the same text, too.

Tiddler from Ars Draconis opened and demonstration of the References thing

What happens when you click a tiddler link for one that's not created yet

What it looks like when you double-click to edit it

The "Tried" tag, which I didn't make a tiddler for

I've played with it a bit more and it turns out you can make a word/phrase link to a tiddler with that title without making it a WikiWord. You just enclose it in double square brackets. They even tell you that in the HowToMakeATiddler section... I just didn't NOTICE. Argh, I didn't have to make everything into WikiWords... I may change that later on. I guess that's what I get for only skimming the tutorial though.

When I finish it I could post a YSI link to the file, but that could take a while.

Edited by waywardoctagon

I try to add the new scents myself, but I always run into this one problem. When the description contains poetry, or anything else with line breaks, each new line goes into the cell BELOW, rather than it all going into one cell, can anyone tell me how to fix this?

I'm going to post an updated version of my spreadsheet later today. :-)

Oh, what you need to do to fix that is right click, go to "paste special" and paste it as "text." (I think it's text, anyway, can't recall off the top of my head. If "text" doesn't work just try one of the other options, one of them is it, lol!)

Screenshots! I'm still working on it, but I've got all the GC categories in now, and some of the LE ones. (You don't see the url bar, but it shows a location on my computer.) Tell me if there's anything else you want to see!

The main page

Opening the General Catalog tag--The list that drops down shows all the tiddlies that have that tag.

What a tag's tiddly looks like--Note the "tagging" box on the left, which lists all the tiddlies that have that tag.

The Ars Draconis tag--This is a tag as well, but the "tagging" box is missing because there aren't any tiddlies with the tag Ars Draconis. I made it a tag instead of a regular tiddly because the way I was doing it made it easier to set it up that way, but you could just make a regular tiddly with the same text, too.

I've played with it a bit more and it turns out you can make a word/phrase link to a tiddler with that title without making it a WikiWord. You just enclose it in double square brackets. They even tell you that in the HowToMakeATiddler section... I just didn't NOTICE. Argh, I didn't have to make everything into WikiWords... I may change that later on. I guess that's what I get for only skimming the tutorial though.

When I finish it I could post a YSI link to the file, but that could take a while.

Wow! This seems really cool! I dislike the organization of spreadsheets, and don't really get them, so this might just be the thing for me. Especially since I used to be an html/web buff... back in the day :P haha. Anyway, thanks for sharing, I definitely want to look into this in all my spare time *cough*I have none*cough* haha

edit: I've just started making my own, modeled after yours, and I really like it! It will probably take me forever to complete but I'm loving it as a spreadsheet alternative. It's so much easier for me to navigate n_n

Edited by Natch

I just have to share this, because it's SO COOL. I'm now using a TiddlyWiki to keep track of my BPAL.

Hrm.

I checked it out, and went to do the Tutorial.... but I can't edit. I double click an entry, and get into Edit Mode. I can highlight text and copy it, but can't write or paste anything. There's no cursor either, if there's supposed to be one. I tried in Firefox and IE. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I really want to try it! It does seem cool.

I just have to share this, because it's SO COOL. I'm now using a TiddlyWiki to keep track of my BPAL.

Hrm.

I checked it out, and went to do the Tutorial.... but I can't edit. I double click an entry, and get into Edit Mode. I can highlight text and copy it, but can't write or paste anything. There's no cursor either, if there's supposed to be one. I tried in Firefox and IE. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I really want to try it! It does seem cool.

You're not doing anything wrong, per se. You CAN'T edit the one on their site. You have to save it to your computer first, then you'll be able to edit. To save the tutorial, open the EasyToCarry tiddler(it's linked on the left)--it has a link to save. The main site has a link you can save under DownloadSoftware tiddler, too, but that doesn't have the tutorial.

The main page

Wow! This seems really cool! I dislike the organization of spreadsheets, and don't really get them, so this might just be the thing for me. Especially since I used to be an html/web buff... back in the day :P haha. Anyway, thanks for sharing, I definitely want to look into this in all my spare time *cough*I have none*cough* haha

edit: I've just started making my own, modeled after yours, and I really like it! It will probably take me forever to complete but I'm loving it as a spreadsheet alternative. It's so much easier for me to navigate n_n

If you want, I can send you mine; I've finished it now. :D Save you all that c&p'ing and changing all the names so they'll link. I DID change all the names so they're properly spaced and punctuated, and not WikiWords. And it's got all the TAL (including all the ones I could find that aren't on the TAL site!) and all the LEs and DCs, which were a huge pain to put in.

EDIT: YouSendIt link! And in the event that one expires, another one. Save it anywhere and open it with your browser. I don't have anywhere to host this, so if anyone wants to, feel free. Until then, it's YSI and email.

EDIT 2: New link! Sofiaviolet over on LJ's being kind enough to host it, so there's a nice non-expiring link. Right-click and "save link as" to download, then open it with your browser to start using it. You can also click the link to get sort of a preview--you can see what it is and how it works; you just can't edit anything until you save it.

EDIT 3: Fixed several things that were wrong--non-linked scent names, extraneous WikiWords, and loads of struck-through text. Updated version is at the above link.

Edited by waywardoctagon

EDIT: YouSendIt link! And in the event that one expires, another one. Save it anywhere and open it with your browser. I don't have anywhere to host this, so if anyone wants to, feel free. Until then, it's YSI and email.

Have I mentioned that you are amazing? It looks like it's set up a little differently than I was doing mine, and maybe even different from your screen shots, but that's really ok, beacause this is great!! Thank you! :P

You're not doing anything wrong, per se. You CAN'T edit the one on their site. You have to save it to your computer first, then you'll be able to edit. To save the tutorial, open the EasyToCarry tiddler(it's linked on the left)--it has a link to save. The main site has a link you can save under DownloadSoftware tiddler, too, but that doesn't have the tutorial.

Doh, how did I not think of that! lol. Hey, thanks for the download!!

I'm going to post an updated version of my spreadsheet later today. :-)

Oh, what you need to do to fix that is right click, go to "paste special" and paste it as "text." (I think it's text, anyway, can't recall off the top of my head. If "text" doesn't work just try one of the other options, one of them is it, lol!)

My options are "HTML", "Unicode Text", and "Text". I tried them all and none of them did the trick. :P

Thank you very much for the update!