Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

(Hanging Head Emoticon)I just use a Table on Word and a notebook (hand written) for frimps.

Thanks, Elbow! I am gobsmacked by you lovely techies and appreciate the generous sharing of spreadsheets. Also, Elbow, I enjoyed your summary of tech history on the previous page!

Thanks, Elbow! I am gobsmacked by you lovely techies and appreciate the generous sharing of spreadsheets. Also, Elbow, I enjoyed your summary of tech history on the previous page!

Thanks, haha! I really do feel it's epic. In a thoroughly, remorselessly geeky way. B)

Plagues are updated, as are last Lunacy Poll results - sometimes I'm just a bit slow behind updates.

izile, thank you so much for maintaining this list. I've been a casual sniffer since about 2008 but really getting into it now.

I discovered today that the scent I tried on, I Died For Beauty, is actually discontinued, but it isn't marked that way in your spreadsheet. It looked like the doc was view-only, and I wasn't sure if you want feedback/corrections, but there ya go. Thanks again for sharing it!

mlyn - I admit, when it comes to things like the dates/discontinued status, etc... I haven't even bothered to try and keep that clear. The original creator was much more in depth - I sometimes am pressed to just get the titles, category and description in and right. I do keep hoping that, yes, if I am missing a scent, please tell me, I at least want to keep all the titles and scent notes in, if at all possible... other things like date of release, date of discontinue, etc.. is just a bit much for me at this point.

(Speaking of, someone just asked about the old original elemental massage oils, I went to look them up, and they weren't there! arg! So, I know there's holes, probably especially on the BPTP tab, I just can't find them all - that hole, though, is now fixed.)

Edited by izile

mlyn - I admit, when it comes to things like the dates/discontinued status, etc... I haven't even bothered to try and keep that clear. The original creator was much more in depth - I sometimes am pressed to just get the titles, category and description in and right. I do keep hoping that, yes, if I am missing a scent, please tell me, I at least want to keep all the titles and scent notes in, if at all possible... other things like date of release, date of discontinue, etc.. is just a bit much for me at this point.

(Speaking of, someone just asked about the old original elemental massage oils, I went to look them up, and they weren't there! arg! So, I know there's holes, probably especially on the BPTP tab, I just can't find them all - that hole, though, is now fixed.)

I have been using your spreadsheet for the past year for my own collection and it has proven SO useful. Thank you so much! I haven't kept on top of the Trading Post either, maybe I need to look yours up and fill it in.

The only major hole I have found in the original spreadsheet you made available is Cabaret Goth. I think it's an event exclusive from a con, but I'm not sure what year. I put it in D*Con from 2010, but who knows if that is right.

Edit to add: My real point though is that the spreadsheet is amazing. One little event oil in 8 years of material. Seriously.

Edited by Auspicious Q

[respectfully shortened]

The only major hole I have found in the original spreadsheet you made available is Cabaret Goth. I think it's an event exclusive from a con, but I'm not sure what year. I put it in D*Con from 2010, but who knows if that is right.

The -Goth scents, including Cabaret Goth, were part of the Bats Day 2011 event. :)

--stella

Thanks! I've made my spreadsheet reflect this.

Yup, and they are on my sheet, just for some reason they say Cabaret. Goth, Vamp. Goth - so the period probably throws off the search.

Just wanted to swing by and give a huge thank you to izile and sunlitgarden for taking on spreadsheet stuff way back when. I'm embarrassed that I fell off the face of the earth when I had a major depressive episode. I'm so glad to be able to come here and get back into things (and with izile's updated spreadsheet to help me out after all the updates over the last few years!) :smilenod:

Just wanted to swing by and give a huge thank you to izile and sunlitgarden for taking on spreadsheet stuff way back when. I'm embarrassed that I fell off the face of the earth when I had a major depressive episode. I'm so glad to be able to come here and get back into things (and with izile's updated spreadsheet to help me out after all the updates over the last few years!) :smilenod:

Welcome back, rayvn1! :D And thank you so much for all the work you did on the spreadsheet!

Welcome back, rayvn1! :D And thank you so much for all the work you did on the spreadsheet!

Absolutely! Glad you're back! And yeah, I just picked up and kept going what was already built because it was such a useful invention, I didn't want to do without it!

(Hanging Head Emoticon)I just use a Table on Word and a notebook (hand written) for frimps.

I'm old school too. I use the spreadsheet to find older things that I want to try, but I write my scent trials in a little black book, titled simply, "My BPAL Journal."

I unfortunately do not own a computer; does anyone know of a good list-y application that might be good for checklisting scents?

I have to many I love/don't like, and can never keep track...

To bad we can't just make a bpal app XD

I unfortunately do not own a computer; does anyone know of a good list-y application that might be good for checklisting scents?

I have to many I love/don't like, and can never keep track...

To bad we can't just make a bpal app XD

An app would be hilarious! XD Especially one of those PC/Mobile integrated ones. I've let my personalized version of the spreadsheet get very very far behind with how busy I've been the last year. I recently got a new friend into BPAL, though, so now I have to update it to show her how to use it XD

Edited by coltostallion

I haven't really searched on the forum so forgive me if this question is easily searchable

Where could one find info/reviews on older BPAL's from the 2000s. I am trying to do some research and the web is leading me nowhere.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Did you have specific scents in mind that you want to search? If so, googling "BPAL [scent name]" will give you the forum review page within the first few results (it'll be the one with BPAL Madness in the title), and scents typically have reviews going all the way back to their release, just click back through the thread pages. If an LE scent has been released multiple years, unless it has been reformulated, you'll generally find all the years in the same thread, more or less chronologically.

If you're just looking for lists of which scents came out which years.... I think some diligent forumites have made lists like that, I'm just unsure where to find them.

Maybe this BPAL Spreadsheet would be helpful? It has all the scents, and then if you want to find the review thread of a specific one I find the easiest fastest way is to use the advanced search form, type the scent name in, in quotations, ie "Red Moon", hit search in titles only, and then ask it to search only in the reviews forum.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

I have reached 500 entries of scents tested in my database.

I am both proud and ashamed of this milestone. :blush2:

Edited by Soupy Twist

Maybe this BPAL Spreadsheet would be helpful? It has all the scents, and then if you want to find the review thread of a specific one I find the easiest fastest way is to use the advanced search form, type the scent name in, in quotations, ie "Red Moon", hit search in titles only, and then ask it to search only in the reviews forum.

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Oh my gosh, I wish I knew this existed sooner! :eek: A few weeks ago I started a spreadsheet from scratch to catalog my imps and its taking me forever, not to mention I want to be thorough about categories and release dates and whatnot but sometimes I just can't quite find the info I need, especially for Convergence items. I also like that this has everything, aka one can easily see what they haven't tested. I feel bad abandoning my spreadsheet, though, and switching to this. It took a lot of work to catalog almost 300 imps from scratch and I'm still not done. :lol: Oh, well.

Did you have specific scents in mind that you want to search? If so, googling "BPAL [scent name]" will give you the forum review page within the first few results (it'll be the one with BPAL Madness in the title), and scents typically have reviews going all the way back to their release, just click back through the thread pages. If an LE scent has been released multiple years, unless it has been reformulated, you'll generally find all the years in the same thread, more or less chronologically.

If you're just looking for lists of which scents came out which years.... I think some diligent forumites have made lists like that, I'm just unsure where to find them.

Oh, brilliant! I've been poking/prodding/humoring the finicky forum search engine for reviews all these years, when I could've been just typing a phrase into an external one that's much easier to use. Thank you for pointing out this option (which now seems obvious)!