Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

Hi everyone,

I was wishing that there were an easy way to search on this forum for the scent information. For example, if you had a search bar and could type the name in, like "Blue Fire" and it would show that it is part of the Tiki collection... and it is GC and available at $x. Or it would show that it was available only through the forum, or is an LE from 2009... I get so mixed up on the BPAL official site when I am trying to find things and I never know in what section the scent is hiding... Any suggestions for you experts out there?

Thank you!

tinytiki

Hi everyone,

I was wishing that there were an easy way to search on this forum for the scent information. For example, if you had a search bar and could type the name in, like "Blue Fire" and it would show that it is part of the Tiki collection... and it is GC and available at $x. Or it would show that it was available only through the forum, or is an LE from 2009... I get so mixed up on the BPAL official site when I am trying to find things and I never know in what section the scent is hiding... Any suggestions for you experts out there?

Thank you!

tinytiki

www.scentbase.com

I like Hackess's spreadsheet for seeing all the different BPAL scents in one easy-to-navigate spreadsheet, but I like using Scentbase to keep track of everything I've tried and what I thought of it, without having to go back and find my reviews. Also, I haven't reviewed all the scents I've tried, so having that Scentbase list really is a lifesaver. It keeps my constantly-expanding collection organized, haha.

I like Hackess's spreadsheet for seeing all the different BPAL scents in one easy-to-navigate spreadsheet, but I like using Scentbase to keep track of everything I've tried and what I thought of it, without having to go back and find my reviews. Also, I haven't reviewed all the scents I've tried, so having that Scentbase list really is a lifesaver. It keeps my constantly-expanding collection organized, haha.

Ah, yes I was replying to tinytiki's question on search.

For keeping track of what I've tried, I keep my own spreadsheet.

So far, I chart scents in terms of:

How many/much I have. (Inventory.)

My rating

1 = Swap.

2 = Test again.

3 = Okay, but not chained to. Maybe keep, maybe not. Test before swapping.

4 = Like! May want more. Keep what I have unless swapping for something better.

5 = LOVE. Actively searching for more. Bottles are imminent. (I try to keep 4's and 5's under 20.)

Scent name. (Self explanatory.)

Status. (Do I still have it? Have I swapped it away? Or do I have it set aside for somebody?)

Incoming. (If I have any coming to me in the mail, how much, and from whom.)

Catagory. (Very loose, LE/GC/DC/Event/Etc just to help me at a glance.)

Also, all scents are color coded by rating, or incoming status. That way I can scroll my list and see what I have in my box that I haven't tried yet. Or easily see what else I'm still waiting on.

I also like being able to sort by rating, alphabetically, catagorically, or by swappers/sellers name. Of course, when I get frimps, I have to check them against my original purchase list, so they can be entered into the sheet. ;)

If I need to know more specifics though, I look it up in Hackess.

For pricing and DC status though I really like the new Price Cap Database.

Ah, yes I was replying to tinytiki's question on search.

For keeping track of what I've tried, I keep my own spreadsheet.

-respectfully snipped-

If I need to know more specifics though, I look it up in Hackess.

For pricing and DC status though I really like the new Price Cap Database.

Ah! I tried keeping my own spreadsheet, but I kept forgetting to update it, haha. Scentbase is just easier for me. And I agree about the new Price Cap Database. It also makes it really easy to quickly look up reviews for a scent because each category is in alphabetical order (I especially like using it for LEs :P). I guess that doesn't really relate to keeping track of what I've tried, but it sure does help me figure out what I want to try much more quickly than searching through all the pages of reviews for one scent. :lol:

Ah! I tried keeping my own spreadsheet, but I kept forgetting to update it, haha. Scentbase is just easier for me. And I agree about the new Price Cap Database. It also makes it really easy to quickly look up reviews for a scent because each category is in alphabetical order (I especially like using it for LEs :P). I guess that doesn't really relate to keeping track of what I've tried, but it sure does help me figure out what I want to try much more quickly than searching through all the pages of reviews for one scent. :lol:

<_< I may keep my internet browser open at all times, with the first two tabs being Hackess, and my spreadsheet.

Obsessed? Heaven forbid. I.. I just need them. Always. Why bother closing them when I'll just need them again, every second of the day? :umm: :lol:

(I'm pretty proud actually, I've just passed the 250 mark and I'm still keeping it nice and current.)

And YES OMG. For real, finding reviews before the Price Cap Database was a HUGE pain in the patoot. This way is much improved.

I've seen Scentbase, and I'm just too OCD to use it.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

tinytiki

You can also do this by utilizing that pink star up in the top right corner next to the search box. It will take you to a search function area where you can put in the scent name, and what I personally do is limit it to "Title" of thread, click "Reviews" in the box, and it will take you to the review thread for that scent. Along the top it tells you what category the scent is in, as well.

(This is what I use to update my personal Excel spreadsheet of scents. I have on the left the names, descriptions, categories and reviews of my current inventory, and on columns on the right are the ones I want to try, and their descriptions and categories. When I look it up, I usually cut and paste the description to my spreadhseet if it looks like something I'd like).

Uploading the latest version soon. Just have to finishing marking all the Discontinued scents. :(

Edit: Updated to include Yules, Anniversary Phoenixes, Last Unicorn, and all the discontinuations.

Edited by hackess

hackess, I love your spreadsheet and use it to keep my own updated. I just noticed something while making notes on my sheet- I can't find the last Dark Del Four Horrid Novels series: Horrid Mysteries, Clermont, Mysterious Warning, and Midnight Bell on it. I don't see it on your spreadsheet either, but my computer is acting up and my Excel search isn't working properly.

(edited because I'll PM hackess about this in case she doesn't see it here, but if anyone else wants to manually add those scents to their own sheet in the meantime, they can)

Edited by Poenari

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

tinytiki

I don't really read this part of the forum often, so I didn't see this until now, but I'm actually working on a few things to help with that!

#1) There is the scent database information. Of course, if you don't know the category, it's a bit of a pain to find things. (I have been working with Invision to make it so you can search between categories. It's pretty much stalled out until the next version, and it's not a guarantee it'll make it in.)

#2) Some of that is available on the BPAL site's search engine. It does not (or, rather, should not be) showing anything that is not presently available, but as I recall, it's showing the category, price, and a purchase link. The Lab requested it not display anything not presently for sale, so that will not be changing.

#3) In the next few weeks, I should be releasing something that displays the scent database information in review pages. Prices, purchase link from the lab, etc. While it doesn't solve the immediate problem, you'd be able to easily search the reviews forums for the name (limiting to forum results/title searches).

#4) To a lesser extent, the forum's scent tracker app (which should be coming out relatively soon) will be able to help. Once you've added a scent, it'll display the category & series name, and link to the review page. I won't be including pricing information - the prices aren't the point of the app, it's the tracking. Granted, if you're not doing any sort of tracking, it doesn't help you a'tall.

No one way is perfect for all situations, but between these avenues, you should be able to find what you need quickly and smoothly.

Alrighty - the four Horrid Novel scents, Champagne flight, and WILF have been added!

heh, I got all my GC's taken care of the old fashioned way via paper and pen. When it comes to all the LE's there ever were it gets pretty complicated but I remember most of the ones I've already tried. I just figure if it doesn't stick in my mind it probably wasn't meant to be. I've been loving the GC catalog (over LE's) more than anything here recently.

Outta curiosity, is there any place besides scentbase? I don't really like the style and set up of a spreadsheet.

I tried to look at hackess spreadsheet but I don't have any apps that support that on my pooter. I know there is google docs I tried that before with something else , and it kept messing up. I actually have a "notebook" app on my pooter so I kinda just made a huge list of all the LES I ever tried and How I thought about em. I don't really need to know alot of details like if I have a bottle anymore or not. Any other suggestions?

The scent database is awesome btw! Alot of work you peeps put in that.

heh, I got all my GC's taken care of the old fashioned way via paper and pen. When it comes to all the LE's there ever were it gets pretty complicated but I remember most of the ones I've already tried. I just figure if it doesn't stick in my mind it probably wasn't meant to be. I've been loving the GC catalog (over LE's) more than anything here recently.

Outta curiosity, is there any place besides scentbase? I don't really like the style and set up of a spreadsheet.

I tried to look at hackess spreadsheet but I don't have any apps that support that on my pooter. I know there is google docs I tried that before with something else , and it kept messing up. I actually have a "notebook" app on my pooter so I kinda just made a huge list of all the LES I ever tried and How I thought about em. I don't really need to know alot of details like if I have a bottle anymore or not. Any other suggestions?

I suggest installing OpenOffice (http://download.openoffice.org/), a free office productivity suite.

I suggest installing OpenOffice (http://download.openoffice.org/), a free office productivity suite.

So much this. *Love* Open Office, to the point where I wish I could dump MS Office at work and use Open Office instead (but I work at a bank which, ironically if you know my background, is a subsidiary of the largest bank in the world, so chances are pretty much zero that open source software will ever be allowed there). I always forget that most people aren't even aware of it.

Hey guys, now that the forum has stash tracking capabilities, I'm strongly considering close Perfoom at the end of the month. Any objections?

I've found Perfoom very helpful in the past--and I'm probably one of the few remaining users ;) but with stash tracking on the forum, I'm working on moving my log over to the Stash Manager instead. It adds a feature I always wished Perfoom had - the ability to keep private, not-quite-review notes on a scents. (Otherwise it can be hard to remember what's what!) Until the end of the month should hopefully give me enough time to get everything moved over. I wish there was a way to import into the Stash Manager from a spreadsheet or other website!

Hey guys, now that the forum has stash tracking capabilities, I'm strongly considering close Perfoom at the end of the month. Any objections?

Yeah, I've decided to close Perfoom. If you have your lists there, please move them over to the forum.

MeiLin's question got me thinking...

Do people still want the spreadsheet maintained, or are the majority of you moving to the Stash Manager exclusively?

hackess, your spreadsheet is a lifesaver for me and it's probably going to take me a mazillion years to switch over to the Stash Manager here. :unsure: (For that matter, it's nice to have an offline alternative!) But if you feel that it's not worth the work of maintaining it anymore, that's totally understandable. XD;