Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

for the small population that uses my sheet - it is finally updated from june. Sorry for the delay, my new baby is now 2 months and finally going to bed a little earlier in the evening for me :) link in siggy.

*boing boing* I think I figured out how to make Perfoom.com work! I'll let you know.

ETA: OK, I have a rudimentary something figured out. It's here, and allows you to keep your list of scents online. There are NO review functions, NO forum functions, or any duplication of what goes on here, though you can rate a scent from 1 to 10 whether it's on your favorite list or not--"favorite" here means just that you own it, not that it's your absolute favorite. That's just how the software works. It's not-for-profit and free, though if this ends up being a huge time/money sink I might throw up a Google ad box (emphasis on "might"--not certain at all).

Check it out. It's not 100% formatted yet, either, but it's a start.

Edited by MeiLin

PERFOOM.COM IS UP AND RUNNING!

The database is incomplete; it relies on its users to help fill it in. There is NO duplication of BPAL.org's features--no reviews, no swapping, actually, no comments of any kind. It's strictly a way to track what you like, what you don't like, what you've tested, and what you'd like to test. It's not 100% pretty yet, but the basic functionality is there, including the ability to click on a note and see other scents in the database with that note.

Enjoy!

Spreadsheet updated to include WKAP and the Black Butterfly/Halloweenie update

PERFOOM.COM IS UP AND RUNNING!

The database is incomplete; it relies on its users to help fill it in. There is NO duplication of BPAL.org's features--no reviews, no swapping, actually, no comments of any kind. It's strictly a way to track what you like, what you don't like, what you've tested, and what you'd like to test. It's not 100% pretty yet, but the basic functionality is there, including the ability to click on a note and see other scents in the database with that note.

Enjoy!

This looks really cool! Thank you! :)

Not to sound greedy... (*look shifty*) ..... Is there any chance in the future of each scent having a "personal notes" area that is only viewable to the logged in account?

Edited by MamaMoth

MeiLin - perfoom.com is great! I didn't make an account since I rather obsessively track my stuff with a personal database, but I prowled around looking at non-bpal scents I'd like to try . . .

It looks pretty enough IMO! Thank you so much!

You're welcome! There are now about 750 fragrances in the database, all user entered. Most are BPAL but there are some other etailers, too.

MamaMoth, I'm not sure if I could do that, but I'll definitely look into it.

A user has also asked that I provide an imp list feature as well as a bottle feature, and I'll try to do that soon.

BIG UPDATE TO PERFOOM!

1) By user request, you can now track your imps as well as your bottles.

2) You can now see other people's lists! Easy access to other users' bottle, imp, favorite, disliked and, best of all, wishlist! Check it out.

Spreadsheet updated with the Tales of Death and Dementia, and the Chakras have had their discontinuation date marked.

Spreadsheet updated with the Tales of Death and Dementia, and the Chakras have had their discontinuation date marked.
Your spreadsheet is seriously awesome! :wub2:
BIG UPDATE TO PERFOOM!1) By user request, you can now track your imps as well as your bottles.2) You can now see other people's lists! Easy access to other users' bottle, imp, favorite, disliked and, best of all, wishlist! Check it out.
This looks really cool - I might sign up!!

Bat-woman marked for death, all of today's updates added!

Edit:

Upon reading Shollin's review forum update here, I'm wondering if people want me to revamp the spreadsheet to follow the same grouping and group naming conventions (i.e., Event Exclusives). It wouldn't happen overnight, obviously, but I thought I'd throw it out there for the spreadsheet users.

Edited by hackess

I tend to look for any scent via Cntl+F, but it might make more sense to find and replace some to match the new review set up. I'm just happy you still do this spreadsheet so faithfully!!

I just gotta say how happy your spreadsheet makes me, hackess! :wub2: Thanks so much for helping out those of us who get obsessive over our bpal lists ;)

(Using F5 on it is often so much quicker than looking through the reviews or doing a forum search that I mostly just use the spreadsheet when I want to find note listings)

Also, VERY excited about MeiLin's Perfoom site - can never have too many ways to track your bpal ;)

Because you asked, Hackess:

I'd appreciate it if the categories on the spreadsheet match the ones here on the message board, simply because it makes it easier for me to find the review threads once I've identified a scent that interests me.

But you're awesome and I'm happy with the spreadsheet just the way it is, too. :wub2:

--M

I figured it would be helpful if they matched, for that reason. :) I've got a few days of nothing coming up, thanks to a wisdom teeth extraction, so I'll try to start the switchover then. :)

Here's an updated BPAL TiddlyWiki in case anyone needs it - http://surrealreality.tiddlyspot.com/index.html

I've been sick for the past couple of weeks, so I thought I would do something completely unproductive with my downtime :P I'm not the creator of the original BPAL TiddlyWiki. I think the original is still floating around out there somewhere, but it hasn't been updated in over a year and a half :(

MeiLin, I've been using Perfoom, and it's really nifty! Nice clean design that's easy on the eyes, too. Thanks for the resource. There are a lot of scents in there, but I've added a few, too. I think it'll get even more useful as more people begin to use it. It just needs to reach critical mass! :)

SurrealReality, that wiki looks awesome. I'm looking forward to playing around with it.

Edited by VitaminA

VitaminA, thanks! Yeah, we're up to nearly 200 users and I've lost count of how many scents. Lots. But not nearly the whole catalog. People are now entering other etailers as well.

I finally had to give up on Appleworks when I updated my OS to Snow Leopard. The two just wouldn't play nice when it came to my humongous BPAL database. Solution? I downloaded the trial version of Bento 2, was able to import my Appleworks database seamlessly, and have used it very happily since. I'm going to go ahead and spring for the program at the end of the 30-day trial period. It has a lot of features Appleworks didn't, though it is only a spreadsheet/database type of thing (no word processing, for example) but that's what I need.

Color me happy with Bento 2! (DISCLAIMER: no connection in any way except as happy user.)

p.s. I've tried to use online organizers, and I just really prefer having one on my own computer to fiddle with even with offline; plus, Bento 2 syncs with my iPhone! w00t for gadget love!

VitaminA, thanks! Yeah, we're up to nearly 200 users and I've lost count of how many scents. Lots. But not nearly the whole catalog. People are now entering other etailers as well.

MeiLin, I love perfoom! You really should promote it more, it's fantastic.

I hesitate to promote anything here; I got too enthusiastic (read: I had a manic episode) with my serial and got a deserved warning. I am now properly medicated. ;)

Currently there are exactly 900 scents catalogued--I wrote a little routine that counts 'em out--and you now get a random scent on every page. :) A link's in my sig file here. I'm not exactly sure how else to promote it!

BIG UPDATE TO PERFOOM!

1) By user request, you can now track your imps as well as your bottles.

2) You can now see other people's lists! Easy access to other users' bottle, imp, favorite, disliked and, best of all, wishlist! Check it out.

Quick Question for you MeiLin :) What should you do if you notice a scent that MAY not be entered properly? Take Beaver Moon for instance. The notes are listed as Cheesecake and Cupcakes, but we have TWO Beaver Moons and that's only the description for the '05 version (as well as Beaver'versary), so shouldn't it be listed as Beaver Moon '05, not just Beaver Moon?

I absolutely love your site, but little things like this tend to bother me I'm afraid....

Edited by SurrealReality

Quick Question for you MeiLin :) What should you do if you notice a scent that MAY not be entered properly? Take Beaver Moon for instance. The notes are listed as Cheesecake and Cupcakes, but we have TWO Beaver Moons and that's only the description for the '05 version (as well as Beaver'versary), so shouldn't it be listed as Beaver Moon '05, not just Beaver Moon?

I absolutely love your site, but little things like this tend to bother me I'm afraid....

You tell me. :) That's it! I will put a contact form up. Thanks!