Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

EPIC BPAL Spreadsheet Thread

You're welcome. :D

When there are updates, I put the new lines at the bottom of the spreadsheet, and will change the date in my sig to reflect the last time the sheet was updated. The easiest way to get the updates is to open the version I have on my webspace, copy out the new lines, and paste into your local copy. I recommend changing the filename of your local version so that you don't accidentally wipe out the entire thing. :D

Thanks, I've only managed to mix up all the columns twice. :P I can't seem to get my sorts to apply to the entire sheet, as opposed to just one column, leaving all the others in thier previous orders. More experimenting in order... ;)

When I sorted my list, in Excel I went to Data => Sort and in the first box where it says "Sort By" I put Column B, then in the box under that where it says "Then By" I put Column C. So that way the spreadsheet was sorted by Category, then by the Name of the individual oils. You might end up finding a way that works better for you, but this way of sorting works for me at least. :)

You're welcome. :D

When there are updates, I put the new lines at the bottom of the spreadsheet, and will change the date in my sig to reflect the last time the sheet was updated. The easiest way to get the updates is to open the version I have on my webspace, copy out the new lines, and paste into your local copy. I recommend changing the filename of your local version so that you don't accidentally wipe out the entire thing. :D

Thanks, I've only managed to mix up all the columns twice. :P I can't seem to get my sorts to apply to the entire sheet, as opposed to just one column, leaving all the others in thier previous orders. More experimenting in order... :)

Well, you could hit Ctrl+A, and then hold the Ctrl key again and click the first row (line 1 on the left) to remove the header row (all the column titles) from the selection. Or you can click and hold row number 2 in the left column with your mouse and just drag your cursor all the way down to select everything. Then sort!

Is there a new csv or xls of all the scents available anywhere? The link doesn't seem to work, and I'd love to take it home to show Mum next week...

Is there a new csv or xls of all the scents available anywhere? The link doesn't seem to work, and I'd love to take it home to show Mum next week...

The link in my sig? It works just fine...right click and "Save as" to download the .xls. In fact, I just updated it with Sugar Moon & friends, and the recently publicized unreleased blends.

The link in my sig? It works just fine...right click and "Save as" to download the .xls. In fact, I just updated it with Sugar Moon & friends, and the recently publicized unreleased blends.

Now that's just plain weird - I tried it from work, and saw about a dozen lines. Tried it here at home and there's a HUGE and excellent sheet! :P That's cool - thanks a heap!

I don't suppose there's one like this with all the fascinating descriptions in it? Mum would be interested, I just know it...

I don't maintain one with full descriptions, but you might find something here. ScentScribbles is maintained by foxfirefey of LJ and is a great online resource. :P

it seems for someone who does tech support, i am an excel idiot. :P

i have pugmom's sheet, and as i was adding my review notes, i did something stupid and now the descriptions don't match up with the scents anymore. al azif now has snake oil's description. what have i done? i could just revert to the saved version, but that would mean losing all the review notes i just made, and i'd liek to avoid that if possible.

have i mentioned i hate microsoft? :D

have i mentioned you people are awesome for putting so much work into these? :)

xoxo,

~epona

Has anyone maintained the Nattie's spreadsheet - either the older layout or the newer one that For The Nonce put together?

I started with natties, but probably changed it too much to make it easy to update yours (I removed long descriptions and changed column order a little to suit my needs), but you are welcome to take a look to see if it helps.

http://ohiopugmom.livejournal.com/

there are some amazing sheets and databases on here! :D

A note to all: Frederic's entry will be included in the spreadsheet with the next big update. In case you were looking for him. :P

Do any of you have a comprehensive list of all of the current BPAL scents? Alphabetical, organized by category, etc? I would love to add one to my computer so I can keep track of my likes, dislikes, make ordering/swapping easier and so on. Thanks!

Oh...I would DEFINITELY love to find a spreadsheet/database of BPAL fragrances and descriptions if there is anyone who keeps track of them recently/now.

Please, please PM me if you can help...

Thanks alot!

Oklies....I managed to find the wrong posts....most recent I found were 2005 'till I posted....

Thank you everyone who posts their lists and spreadsheets for everyone to use!

-Kye :P

Edited by Kye

Sorry it took me so long to update! The Frederic and Worm Moon groups have been added to the bottom of the spreadsheet, and the room sprays were added to the BPTP tab.

updated: includes Dragon Moon/Steamworks/Pharm, plus BPTP four-season teaser soaps.

I am not a spreadsheet person; I am a database person. And I like doing things online as much as possible. Which makes it a good thing that I'm a web developer. Would the Lab kill me do you think if I started an online database site for people to track scents--BPAL and otherwise? I wouldn't charge for people to use it, and I wouldn't duplicate the forums etc that already exist out there--no swappage or sales or conversations or anything, just a way to track your smellies and opinions of same. I already have a domain, perfoom.com. :P

Thank you, hackess - as something to search to check descriptions and categories, and work out what I want to try, this will save me hours (I have a slow connection)!! :P

I love that direct search from the lab to the forums. Has anyone else noticed that the link is "Vanilla.spicybrains.org" I about fell over laughing at that bit of cheeky wit. :P

I Just opened up an excel spreadsheet and spaced the boxes perfectly and all that good stuff... but description? Who has time for that kind of obsessive madness!!

Edited by Purrsnikety

I love love love the spreadsheet - thank you, hackess!

I have a truly dumb question, though. Is there anything about it that would make Google Docs barf? I'm not normally a total computer moron, but despite my efforts and those of every geek in my house, I can't get my copy of the spreadsheet to go up on Google Docs. As far as I can tell, it doesn't violate any of the Google Docs requirements for spreadsheets, but I could have missed something, I guess. Has anyone successfully stuck their copy of it up there? I'd like to be able to work on it from wherever.

Thanks muchly.

I love love love the spreadsheet - thank you, hackess!

I have a truly dumb question, though. Is there anything about it that would make Google Docs barf? I'm not normally a total computer moron, but despite my efforts and those of every geek in my house, I can't get my copy of the spreadsheet to go up on Google Docs. As far as I can tell, it doesn't violate any of the Google Docs requirements for spreadsheets, but I could have missed something, I guess. Has anyone successfully stuck their copy of it up there? I'd like to be able to work on it from wherever.

Thanks muchly.

Far as I can tell, it's just too big for GDocs. I've tried uploading it, too, but it just dies. So I have a very abbreviated version, which is just what I've tried & what I want. With color coding, but I've been too lazy to keep up with that of late.

If you've got the time & patience, though, you can copy-paste about 100 lines at a time, though it seems to have trouble interpreting blank space properly (I got some weird errors where the description was next to the wrong scent.)

Alternatively, if you've got more patience and less time, you can sort and do separate tabs for each category (though that does wreak merry havoc with the discontinued sections) and then create a new tab on GDocs for each category.

Good luck!

Yes, it is way too big for GoogleDocs, especially when you start adding all your color-coding and whatnot. I used to have mine on GD, but it got to the point where it just wouldn't open anymore.

Thanks so much! At least now I know it wasn't because I completely horked something. :P

If this is answered somewhere within the thread, I apologize - I must've missed it.

I just downloaded the 9/16/08 spreadsheet and it's great - thank you! :P I'm just curious... how do other people handle their personal updating -- in terms of copying all your status and reviews note and color coding, if any -- from an older version to a newer version?

The older copy I had had a slightly different configuration of fields and formatting, so I couldn't just copy and paste full lines ... I actually had to go field by field (and I'd really rather not do that again ... it was a wicked pain!)

All suggestions appreciated!

I just downloaded the 9/16/08 spreadsheet and it's great - thank you! :D I'm just curious... how do other people handle their personal updating -- in terms of copying all your status and reviews note and color coding, if any -- from an older version to a newer version?

Hackess said she tends to put new stuff at the bottom of the sheet, so you can just copy that new stuff and paste it into your existing version.

(I, however, am avoiding this problem by trying my DARNDEST to stick to the GC - and then I don't need to worry about it. How long will this last? Only time will tell... :P )

I just downloaded the 9/16/08 spreadsheet and it's great - thank you! :D I'm just curious... how do other people handle their personal updating -- in terms of copying all your status and reviews note and color coding, if any -- from an older version to a newer version?

Hackess said she tends to put new stuff at the bottom of the sheet, so you can just copy that new stuff and paste it into your existing version.

(I, however, am avoiding this problem by trying my DARNDEST to stick to the GC - and then I don't need to worry about it. How long will this last? Only time will tell... :P )

Yep, that's exactly it! I've also been putting the release date in for each blend, so if for some reason the spreadsheet gets resorted alphabetically by name, you can sort by date to see what's newest. :D