Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The conjured spirit of the coal black cat. The thief and bestower of fortune. Unseen nocturnal phantom. Witch in the mill. And most beloved of Old Scratch.

Soft black silken fur curled next to a fireplace, flecks of ash and an arcing tendril of smoke, burnt cloves, and patchouli root.

Must. Love. Clove!

From the moment you open this bottle, Cinderpaw is no shy kitty.

Bold, smoked clove with a sort of rooty, mildly medicinal undercurrent while wet. It's all about the smoked clove here, though. It's so potent as to give that incredible almost numbing quality when you give it a nice, deep inhalation.

As it warms and settles in, the smoked clove is still the dark and slinky star, but a fuzzy muskiness shows up to sort of blur the edges. Not a strong musk; just enough to add some softness. The rootiness of the patch comes through more as it dries down, too. Not a brash or hippie headshop patch. It's just enough to notice, and like the musk, just enough to help tame this fierce and ferocious smoked clove familiar.

Note: I'm testing this literally fresh from the mail since these are only available for a limited time, so ymmv! This is a big HELL YES from me, an admitted dark and smoky clove fiend.

I'm gonna need some coffee to allow my nose to smell ANYTHING else after this one! 🤣

I am a fan of the BPAL cat scents, so I was excited to get my paws on this 😅

Ash and burnt clove take you right up to the well-used fireplace, and rooty patchouli suggests some witchy alchemy, but there is also a softness to the scent. I thought there might be some black or dark musk to represent the black fur, and usually my skin will amp those notes, but I'm not really picking up on a distinct musk. It's almost as though the scent captures the paw itself, having prowled through the soot. Dark, fuzzy, smoky-spiced - and claws retracted, at least for the moment.

I'm a clove-head, so maybe take a grain of salt when I say I don't find this excessively clovey, but it's also not an overwhelming smoky fire scent to me either.

This is CLOVE a in ALL CAPS SCREAMING CLOVE. ..and like the above reviewer, I also get something herbal which I mistook for palo santo (which I love). I am guessing my nose is interpreting the woody or ashy note as palo santo, and the clove is so strong I think I imagine anise (again, making me think palo santo). This smokiness isnt BBQ at all for those who dislike that sort of smoke. To me, its more of a dryness, like dry charred cloves. So far its pretty uncomplicated: that note I perceive as palo santo and CLOVE. As of right now I am not discerning any musk or patchouli but I am going to return to my review to update as the scent dries and warms to my skin. 

clove clove clove! this really gives me the scent memory of clove cigarettes. clove and ash. 

Clove is one of my favorite scents and Cinder Paw actually reminds me of LUSH's Skinny Dip clove (spicy, sweet, creamy).  I don't really find this scent to be ashy, smoky or burnt at all.  Just lots of spicy, sweet clove that has a creamy undertone on my skin.  I don't smell the patchouli or fur either.  Clove, to me, is a really witchy, exotic, sensual scent that I've always adored.  It has a powerful and seductive quality to it.  After several hours,  Cinder Paw has a vanillic, resinous, amber undertone on my skin, but still mostly that strong clove and doesn't change much, which I'm totally fine with.  It's a wonderful scent and lasts all day with really great throw and projection.  I wish I'd grabbed a backup bottle and I definitely will buy more if it returns.  I've been really impressed with all of the scents made for Spiritus Arcanum.  I like their vibe a lot.

This is clove af. A very bold, black clove, backed by some patchouli. Fortunately, I'm not getting any acrid smoke, and although I thought the fur would be super musky, it's not... maybe because nothing can compete against the clove.

I'm not mad.