Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A new year’s blessing! Peony, China’s national flower, with bamboo for flexibility, plum blossom for perseverance, courage, and hope, tangerine for wealth, Calamondin orange for happiness, lychee for household peace, pine resin for constancy, golden kumquat for prosperity, King mandarin for good fortune, cypress for longevity, sticky rice cakes for abundance and hopes for a rich, sweet life, and a splash of blazing red of dragon’s blood to help you scare away the rampaging Nian.

I am in general a bit obsessed with the Lunar New Year scents, so I ordered 2 bottles of this on release. I'm very glad I did!

Like all of the Lunar New Year scents this is reminiscent of the lacquer trays of dried and candied fruits my foster family would put out for Lunar New Year.

This is definitely one of the strongly citrus leaning Lunar New Year scents with some beautiful bright orange notes. The floral and resinous elements are in the background but do provide balance and keep it from going too sweetly fruity.

I really enjoy the sticky rice cakes note. It's quiet but present, like there's a fresh tray of Nian Gao out of the steamer, but I've not actually gotten one yet, just getting the waft of them across the room.

The bamboo and floral notes in this amp on me in a wonderful way. It's a lovely scent without being in your face with the fruits and the florals. The hint of sticky rice in the background lends it an almost earthy note which I adore.

I like how all of the Lunar New Year scents smell similar, but there are subtle differences along the line of them.  Water Rabbit is sweeter than many of the others and has a juicier, happy, sweet fruitiness, and it doesn't come off as soapy as many of the other Lunar New Year blends have on my skin.   This one is juicy, shimmering, orange jellies, tropical lychee juice, a hint of watery green from the bamboo, and a little bit of warmth, intrigue, and red glow from the dragon's blood incense.  Very pretty, playful, and cheerful.

Ohhhh, I love this one. It is quite obviously a Lunar New Years scent, with all the notes that entails, but the sticky rice cake lends it a gentle sweetness that really rounds it out. Less fruity than, say, Wooden Goat, but still plenty of fruit to go around. A fine celebration of the year!

This was such a nice orange scent at first, but it didn't take long for my skin chemistry to turn this into soap.

I weep tears of orange juice and drink them as they fall.

There some sweetness from the sticky rice, and a hint of floral from the peony's and plum blossoms, but I don't get a lot of citrus notes from this. I love every Lunar New Year scent I've smelled or sampled, and this one is no exception. As this one settles on me, some of the citrus notes pop out, kind of like if one was to walk into a room that smelled mostly sweet and floral with a hint of citrus peels.

oh no. nooooooooooouhhhhhhh. this scent makes me sad for what couldve been

the lab accidentally sent me An Introduction to Illustrious Kabuki Actors in my order instead of Water Rabbit, which I actually like more. : (

in the bottle, it is just peonies and peonies and peonies. great for peony lovers and bad for people like me who find that bpal florals often turn them into a nonna. kind of the same deal when wet, its peonies over and over. the fruits kind of make an appearance, but they are background actors even though they make up a lot of the notes in this scent.

after a bit (maybe like half an hour) it smells relatively the same. peonies on peonies with a HINT (and I mean HINT) of orangey citrus. I wish the lychee came through more, and I can't really pick out the pine or cypress, nor dragon's blood. it's really just soapy and/or grandma perfume unfortunately. I'm pretty bummed since I chose this one over a few tempting Shungas that I now wish I had picked instead. I'll make my final verdict in a few months and maybe review it again to see if there's been any significant changes.

Edited by asoursweetsixteen

This is mostly a lot of peony and citrus on me. I'm pretty sure that the citrus notes are absorbing the other citrus-adjacent notes to me, like the kumquat and the pine/cypress, which can go lime on me. I do get a quiet, sweet rice note in the background and a whiff of incense from the dragons blood.

This is very fun and pretty. I like trying to pick out each of the notes, and I'm sure it'll morph over time.