Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Kiki

New to fragrances

I’ve never bought a perfume before and I would love to start with BPAL. I’m looking for a very dark feminine scent that doesn’t have prominent fruity or rose notes. Can somebody please give me recommendations? 🖤🖤🖤

Hi!! Snake oil is, obviously one of the most "darkly feminine" things one can get. It's got patchouli and vanilla and all those lovely sexy spices. No fruit, no rose. I also think Lick It, valentine might be your jam. It has honey and red wine. Lady macbeth is also lovely but it DOES have a little bit of currant. Bastet is also gorgeous, just amber and red musk. lust is gorgeous, as is "the cat" some of these are limited edition, meaning you won't be able to get imps of them, but some people surely offer decants for much cheaper. I would say your safest bet is probably Snake oil, however! 

I'm a big fan of Event Horizon when I want to go dark and femme:  Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin. Imps (sample vials) are the way to go when you're first figuring out what you like.  Some of the things I thought I would like (jasmine) were terrible on me while other things I thought I hated (patchouli) are now huge favorites.  I have extra decants of Event Horizon and Bastet if you'd like me to send them your direction.  PM me!

Qandisa!  Dark feminine dominance in scent form, like poisonous black honey being offered to a death goddess.

If you're nervous about committing to a full size bottle, BPAL sells their General Catalogue scents (like most of the recommended oils, including Qandisa) in little sample imps, so you can test a few out on your skin before taking the plunge.

How about Velvet? The description on the lab's site is: Envelop yourself in the soft, sensual embrace of gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh.

On my skin, it's exactly as described. I think it's a fantastic dark, rich, feminine feeling scent for those of us who don't always do well with dark and rich fragrances. I figured I'd recommend it in case you end up falling to that category. And it's available in a sample size so you can easily try it out!

I also strongly agree with other people's recommendation of Snake Oil.

What are some of your favorite smells? It's OK if you're not sure what works on your skin chemistry yet, but chasing a nostalgic memory or a favorite food/flower through fragrance can be a great way to start!

GCs might be best at first since they're easier to find.

Snake Oil is great, though very strong. I'd call it more overpowering than dark. I'd recommend Velvet, Haunted, Black Lily (though lily goes to soap on some people the scent feels like black silk), and Event Horizon. Maybe Bastet.

You might want to try some lighter but haunting scents that catch your eye as well like Nocturne or The Ghost (if you like florals).

Sign in to follow this