Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Scarecrow Boytoy

A lusty, bubbling cauldron of thick, black tar spilling forth from a pile of dusty straw and secondhand clothes.

mmmm, pitchy!  lots of (pine?) pitch in the opening, which does smell rather viscous.  but it dries out super quick, with the pitch making way for a bone dry hay-like note to take the lead for a while.  then the hay dies down and a soft clothy note emerges, which may have just a smidge of vanilla to it. for a while, it's all soft and dry from the cloth, with a little musky/mustiness that reads as somewhat brown musk adjacent. there's some dry hay/straw hanging out in the middle, and just a whisper of pine pitch left now bringing up the rear.

ok, this ends up smelling surprisingly papery and bookish on me!  unexpected! like hiding up in the hayloft to read an old book, with the barn cat curled up beside you.

I was scared of this scent when I first smelled it. Reminiscent of my great-grandfather's toolshed, full of mysteries I wasn't old or experienced enough to solve. In the bottle it's really dark, and dry, almost sweetly astringent? Seconding the pitch called out by MamaMoth. Very foreboding, like the cologne of a bad, bad man, who drives a bad, bad car — like Stuntman Mike in Death Proof. In fact, it kind of smells like the interior of a car: dusty, oily, well upholstered, full of hidden compartments.

So if that was the whole ride, I was gonna be kind of bummed, because while that is a cool and VERY specific thing to smell like, it was just too much masculine swagger for me. I craved just a wee bit more sensitivity from this scarecrow, even though I've been burned before buy guys like that and should know better by now.

After a few moments on the skin though, I really want to be in that car. I start to detect these teasing incense notes that suggest this guy actually does take pretty good care of himself, he's not a total brute. That sticky resinous quality and the sweet earthiness of the hay note are selling something pleasantly old-fashioned, giving me something warm and almost human to snuggle up to. The most intensely forbidding aspects of this fragrance in the bottle are just a suggestion now, framing the scent but no longer dominating it. So like yeah, we ARE in an evil guy's car, he IS driving a bit too fast, but I've got my seatbelt on and I have to admit: I'm thrilled to death.