Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

The Apothecary

Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

Imp:Citrus
Wet: Citrus
Drydown: Citrus fruit and green herbal
Overall: This started out smelling like an ordinary citrus scent. Then it got really tart and bitter. I know some posters said "warm" and "sweet". Not for me. There was no sweetness at all. This scent just didn't stand out for me. Edited by catattack

Imp: herb, ginger and tea

Wet on Me: tea leaf, lovely green herbs. Light teases

of ginger. This is GREEN when I sniff it!

Drying Down: still green, but a clean soapy vibe is moving

in. green soap.

Dry: green soap with teases of the tea. Very fresh very

clean, very summer after a late day rainstorm.

This was a very grassy herbal blend on me. Sharp but fresh. The fig and ginger never made an appearance on my skin, but the sharpness did mellow out after a couple of hours. Overall, a little too "green" for me.

The Apothecary

Smells like tea! ...And my mom? I like the tea part, and actually the "my mom" part isn't bad... it just means that I probably won't want to wear it. Eventually, the tea fades, but the mosses and grass and herbs are there. And my mom. :huh?:

P.S. I don't know how to describe "my mom" but she usually wears something that I find a little too floral or cloying or something. She used to wear one of the Cashmeres by Donna Karan, but I don't know if that's the scent I'm smelling.

Edited by Gin

hmm...

In the imp: Not too bad.. i smell fresh ginger and grass with a hint of herbs (sage?!... some SWEET herb)

On the skin: refreshing and sweet... alot of ginger comes through

after about an hour: ICK!!!! *gags* Irish Spring soap..... this has become ALLL soap on me.... soap and deodorant :S MANLY deodorant.

Overall: I must go wash this off immediately!

Oh yeah, herbally, and medicinal. Not surprising, but I'm not really a fan of the hint of antiseptic that I get under this perfume. It really does smell like I'd imagine an old Apothecary full of herbs and spices would smell.

Smells like a nice soap. Clean, fresh and uncomplicated. The tea is there but light and not dominating. I thought there was fig in this before I read the description. It gives me the images and impressions of being outside on a clear day. I like this but I'm not sure it's right for me.

This is a very wet, clean, green smell. I like it, but it's not what I'd normally want to smell like. This might be good for work out time though.

Bottlesniff Delicate citrus herbal.

Wet on skin Immediately turns to medicinal tea. Ginger once again does it's ginger thing on me. I am now convinced beyond all doubt that ginger must be avoided. And there's a slightly nauseating note in there which I'm assuming is fig as I haven't smelt it before.

Drydown Theres a lovely sweet citrus in this (bergamot) which I adore that's overpowered by the medicine tea. I smell no grass at all nor any moss.

Overall Smells nothing on me like any of the reviews here. I don't get green or herbs or any of that. I get powerful medicine tea thanks to that "drop of ginger". :ack:

in the bottle: Tea and herbs. Nice, actually. I'm hoping the tea scent lasts longer for me in this than in Embalming Fluid.

on wet: Mostly tea. The herbs have gone.

drydown: This is interesting. The tea no longer stands out enough to distinguish; instead, I'm getting a well-meshed clean scent that reminds me of having just stepped out of a shower after using a nice, expensive, french-milled herbal soap. It doesn't smell soapy, just clean. Seriously -- clean. If I had to define the scent of clean skin with a scented oil, this would be exactly it.

one hour later: Still clean, though there's some light sweetness asserting itself. I don't think it's a particular component (or maybe it is -- perhaps the fig?), but rather the sum of the whole. The whole thing is very light in a way which makes me think it might not last the day.

end of day: Still here. The herbal effect went away and left me with a sort of light, sweet tea thing. Not sweet tea as in sugar added, but more like a cup of non-tannic, delicate tea with ... or, near ... it's really hard to describe. Just ... sweet. And light.

compared to official description: I didn't really get the ginger, which is a shame. I'm thinking now that the fig contributed to the sense of sweetness, but I never once thought "Oh, that's fig!"

notes: The final result was a tad too sweet for me. I like how light it was, though. This might be a good one for the locket.

Edited by Graphica

Wet: Something sharp and citrusy. Smells like a cologne.

Dry-down: Still sharp, but there's a bit of green tea. It's a very clean scent, like I just used some manly sports body wash and stepped out of the shower.

Dry: Lemony. Smells somewhat like a washroom, but a very clean, hotel washroom. The herbs come out a bit more and then it's warm and spicy and fresh.

My brother's opinion: Minty and lemony. He likes it but agrees with the washroom sentiment... not that that's a bad thing, haha.

I'm glad I got to try this! I got this as a frimp from the lab, and it's a great unisex scent. Definitely keeping it.

In the Imp: Bright, Green

Wet on Skin: a bit woody, herbal; grass note shows up in elbows

While Drying: something… lemony? With a drop of eucalyptus, and a woody base note; elbows get grass, something medicinal, and straw

After a Little While: lemony herbal; I like the skin scent (lemony) better than the scent wafting around me (more perfumy); a bit later, a new scent emerges - I am guessing this is the tea, because I am associating it with 'Alice.' [looking at notes, Alice does not list Tea... I wonder what is causing the scent association?]

Later: still something sinus clearing when sniffed up close (maybe mint of some sort? I get a similar feeling-more-than-smell that I get with some yules); lemony scent is dying down, and tea is sweeting up a bit - lovely; still something a bit perfumy about it

Final Thoughts: I put this on in the evening and could still smell faint lemony scent in the morning; nice scent, but a bit disjointed. I'd probably prefer to wear Alice for that tea scent, and Jabberwocky or Phobos if I am in a citrus mood.

The Apothecary earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

Woodsey, herby, and citrus with a hint of aquatics.

The citrus is hardly noticable at first, until a few minutes on my skin and then it bursts forward leaving everyone in the dust!

Still has a woody base but the greeness and citrus complement it nicely.

The lemon citrus really adds a gorgeous addition to this. I really really like this one.

:::THE APOTHECARY:::

This one will be difficult to approach without preconceived notions... C'mon, The Bard meets the House of The Holy; the BPAL of yore...

Uncapping the Imp gets you a wet, Green slap.

Right away, you can almost see the sun's rays slanting in shafts through the thatch in the little, wooded cottage in the deeps of a forest... There is a wooden work-surface, and countless jars, phials, and tubes that store endless varietals of herbs, oils, salves, and unguents...

The Green Goddess here resides!

The Moss, Ginger, and Tea are the most prominent by far in this blend; the Herbs and Grass lending more of an organic, outdoorsy atmospheric.

On the skin, The Apothecary becomes wonderfully clean and aquatic.

There is nearly a hint of soap... Though, not the caustic, mass-produced, aerodynamically shaped thingie; more the rough-hewn block with bits of the leaf and petal in it one might expect from a ridiculously expensive spa... Very gauche.

It makes sense The Apothecary would be immortalised by a fragrance precisely like this one.

The Apothecary is aromatic ingenuity.

The Apothecary is a sonnet of scent, perfumed prose, redolent rhyme.

The Apothecary is a rich, classical fragrance for Him.

5/5

This one did the thing I get all the time where green and grassy scents turn into dryer sheets, so mostly I smelled that. It was a soft, sweet dryer sheet with the fig definitely present and a detectable moss note -- but although I'm allergic to Beth's dryer moss notes (I wouldn't even have opened this imp if I'd looked up the notes and seen moss) I didn't have problems with it in this blend, as if it were a moist, green moss and not a dusty one.

I didn't get any ginger and I can't say I picked up on any tea, but that may well be because the dryer-sheet effect tends to muddle and overpower other notes.

Ultimately, I made a spray out of this for freshening the car, and didn't even like it for that because it smelled so much like dryer sheets.

At first this reminded me of the smell of a dusty library. The kind with hidden treasures of knowledge.

It dried to a soft "floral" maybe? Very soft, powdery.

I didn't get the herbal scents of others. It wasn't that strong for me.

Hurruh, my first smell review!

In the bottle: Very herby, almost savoury. Reminds me of broken greenery. It's not an overwhelming scent, it slowly appears.

Wet: Very nice indeed. On the skin, the scent becomes warmer, and the sweetness, which I couldn't detect before comes out. Again it's like the smells of a forest, but not tropical or pine. Bruised leaves, and small flowers.

Settling in: The scent seems to have gone a bit powdery, almost soapy. Very sweet now, not much of the herby essence left.

After a few hours: The powder has gone away, leaving a delicate warm mingled sweet smell. No single notes discernable, but it's a lovely scent.

And as I was getting into bed, I took an experimental sniff of my wrist, and could still find the scent. So it's got decent staying power also.

Herbal woody citrus smell. I don't know where I'm getting the wood, but it's there. Very dry and crisp. This wasn't really what I expected from this, from the notes. It fades very quickly. It's pretty, but I was hoping something more green and grassy than what it turned out to be.

I was very excited to get this. In the IMP it as a lovely herby sweetness too it. Very fresh and clean with small hints of spicy greenness to it. On me it has a very sharp herby smell to it. A unisex scent bordering just a little too masculine for me. It is a very soothing and dreamy scent that I think I might prefer in the bath than on me. Lovely though.

EDIT - okay apparently I already reviewd this scent (I don't even remember it) but my skin chemistry seems to hhave changed!)

Edited by Lilly

Wet: mostly tea (green or is it just the green grass note?), moss and green grass.

Drydown: still green grass but herbs start to appear as well. the fig and ginger are exactly as stated: just a drop. It warms and rounds it slightly. This is the perfect opposite of all the sticky sweet, boozy, and dirty musk imps I've been ordering until now. This is clean, earthy, and relaxing. Color impression is light brown and wet emerald green.

Edited by SophieCedar

Wet: Sharp, crisp green.

Drydown: Herbs and a bit of the ginger, I think.

Dry: Green, herbal and fruity at the same time. Sweeter, warmer, not as sharp as wet. A pretty neutral soft scent. I didn't get a lot of strong impressions from this one, so I don't have a lot to say about it, but I like it.

Keep: Yes

Bottle: Maybe

It's mediciny at first, both in the bottle and upon the skin (great name for a song, BTW). Occasionally there are blasts of the medicine smell in the first few hours, but then it mellows out into an easygoing, sweet, somewhat mysterious clean aroma. There is a very faint odor of musk (fig?), and it feels friendlier than say, Aelopile. It's not bad, but the medicinal opening made me like it a little less.

Edited by LightLikeKnives

In the bottle: lemon and moss, with a bit of the tea leaf. it's very herbal, a light pale green, maybe a bit shy. it reminds me of old ruins, churches without roofs, musty and silent castles, that sort of thing. quite mysterious and also surprisingly un-girly. it's fresh and pleasant, a bit like The Dormouse from Mad Tea Party in its' herbals.

On my skin: lemon and quite a bit of ginger figure most prominently on me. a variety of crushed herbs are hot on their heels. it's very fresh, but is a bit more akin to cleaning products than I'd like. blame it on the lemon. it dries to a sweetly pleasant herbal, but I definitely like The Dormouse better for light green herbals that are full of life.

Last thoughts: fine, but also not quite making the cut for me. I do like the mossiness, which is something The Dormouse doesn't have, but it's not enough to win me over.

In the fresh bottle (almost 3 full years ago) this was all perfumey-fresh tea and light watery herbs plus fig, which usually turns sour and soapy on me, but I mildly liked the slightly soapy fresh tea, so, held onto it for spring... but didn't really wear it, just kept testing it now and then.

Tried it today and the herbs and mosses are finally letting this linger and really sing as a nearly-summer-scent. Even finally getting a little of the ginger, which is a plus, and the fig is finally behaving. Glad I didn't give up on it!

Edited by Alarine