Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Spellbound

Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

It makes me think about licking someone's neck. Makes me feel slinky. It's magic slinky oil. Gives the feeling of being supremely sexually confident and gracious and charming as all hell about it, to boot, if that makes sense.

Definitely a keeper.

Several hours later - ok, maybe not. I love roses and I can wear musk - it must be the amber - it's not agreeing with me. It smells beautiful but it is not agreeing with my system, it's making me headachey and somewhat nauseated. I think I can't wear amber.

DAMMIT! because this is so beautiful. If you can really wear orientals, things with deep bass notes (patchouli, musk, etc.), get this.

-- I smelled this last night on a girlfriend who is darker and cooler skinned than I am (I am pale pink and always running hot), and it was the most exquisite thing I've smelled yet from BPAL - but IMO for mature women. It is a complex floral like Molinard de Molinard or Jolie Madame. Sophisticated and mature. For 30-somethings or older, and for evening, is my recommendation. Edited by Shollin

Can I say that I love this smell so far?

It's really delicate and light on my skin, after it dries down, of course.

I wasn't really sure about rose scents, but I think this one is nice and light enough to work with me.

I never thought myself a rose girl, but this mesmerises me. The roses, amber and musk blend together so perfectly. I can mostly smell the roses and musk, but there is a hint of amber in there. So elegant. It also though, reminds me of walking into a ‘Tree of Life’ shop and smelling a combination of all the wonderful incense and oils in there, and though you’ve had enough browsing you want stay so you can keep inhaling that blissful smell. :P

So far this is my favorite! I can't stop sniffing my wrist! Can't wait for DH to get home to give me his opinion of it.

It's a very lush, sensuous, seductive scent. I can also see how it evokes "hippy shops," because it did that to me at first also.

I'm definitely getting a bottle of this. However, I can't really see myself wearing it to work.

Update: Um, maybe not. DH HATED it after drydown yesterday, and hated it even more today when I applied it after showering. It was 45 degrees out and he drove with the car windows open because he didn't like the way I smelled! He said I smelled like a powdery, rosey old lady! :P

Edited by Scylla

I almost didn't even put this on cause I hated it in the vial, but after dabbing just a tiny bit on me it is a rich, velvety rose smell -- I can see how if you love roses and you love strong deep notes like musks and resins, this would totally be your "magic slinkiness oil." This is really really nice -- complex, deep, strong, and unabashedly sexy. I don't think I'd choose to wear it out over other rose scents, but someone with different tastes would be a total sex goddess in this!!

I really thought I would love this based on the descriptions here but it didn't work on my skin at ALL ... it actually made my skin burn :P ... and my daughter hated it ... I like the basic premise so, as with a few imps ears where I kind of like them but not enough to wear them as a perfume all day, I think it would make a really nice bath oil with some LUSH Amandapando or a Softy or Tisty Tosty ballistic (all rose scented).

ADDED Aug. 6:

This isn't the first time this has happened with me ... where I try a scent a second time with a different imp of the same scent and it's completely different on me. I have no idea if it's the imp (the formula being slightly different or whatever) or my own body chemistry changing or what ...

Anyway, I received another imp of this in a not-really-swap, more of a trading-imps-with-a-friend ... was carefully pouring two or three tiny drops into a bath, and the scent on my hands just mesmerized me this time.

So today I tried it again as a scent ... NO burning of my skin like last time, and my daughter even liked it. The head shop allusion? DEFinitely. Which is not a bad thing ... it kept transporting me back to my teens, LOL. Now, several hours later, it is still quite strong on drydown and a little more "old lady rosy" like someone else mentioned, but not in a bad way. I really like this ... I don't think I would buy a 5 ML of it but I will definitely wear it till the imp is gone.

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED APRIL 2013:

Working my way alphabetically (well, mostly) through my entire BPAL collection and it's interesting to see where I am often 9 years after my first time with a scent ... trying from an older imp but certainly not one as old as 2004!

IN THE IMP: Very dark, visually and in concept, for me. Rich, deep, resiny and floral and complex.

Dabbed on one wrist and in the crook of one arm.

WET: The amber is predominant on me, followed closely by the musk. That combination then melds with the rose in such a way as to make this a very non-floral scent for me, and yes, that's a good thing. Rich and resiny with that rose in the background.

DRYDOWN: Oddly enough, though not listed in the notes, I get a subtle yet distinct scent of orange rind when this dries down, more notable in the crook of my arm than on my wrist (I try to test drive scents in both places because the moistness of the crook will often amp different notes). Later on it dries down to a faint resiny rose.

OVERALL: I am not a big fan of rose, and now that I have years of experience knowing which rose-heavy scents don't work for me and which ones, where it's more in the background, DO, I might not have ordered Spellbound, being scared off by the rose. However, having had past experience with the blend, I knew that despite the description, for whatever reason, the rose was a secondary note on me ... so I'm glad I knew that.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 3.8 which for me is a keeper in an imp though not a big bottle purchase.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

...sexy, but not wanton, if that makes sense.

Yes, that makes sense!!! I agree.

Initial: Floral and something musky underneath.

During: Rose. Roses dipped in sensuality. I feel very antique in this. These are roses from long ago. Not a fresh rose from this moment on a sunny day in your garden. A rose that I am looking at through time from far away and from long ago and leaving trails of old memories.

Final: A perfumed rose. A rose that has spritzed itself with something heady and sensual to dress itself up for a regal event. Pretty. Not a flouncy innocent breezy rose, but strong and sexy and graceful and grown up. As pretty as this is, it is just not me. But it’s definitely a beautiful scent if it fits your persona. It is pretty enough that I may use up my Imp’s Ear. It may be perfect for a sexy night wearing silk and eating chocolate and champagne with someone special.

I didn’t get the hippy shop feel at all either and I usually hate anything that smells “hippy shop” or incensey.

First Impression: When I opened the vial and took a sniff it nearly blew my head off. Strong and potent. And yes, I smell hippy shop.

Second Impression: This is very sensual and long lasting. This dried down to smell like the old lady perfume Tabu. I had such high hopes.

Final Analysis: While I love perfumes that can go the distance, this did not smell good not me at all. Add to the swap list.

Hmm. I've become a bit wary of the rose scents recently, with how Burial and Old Venice have been working out on me .. or rather, not.

First of all .. it was green! That really threw me off at first .. I expected a more amber-y colored oil! Eeek!

First Sniff: Hmm. Sweet. Almost too much so. And something almost sharp in this. I wasn't sure I wanted to try it .. but people rave about it so, I couldn't not try it. I can smell the rose in it, but it smells like there's something else there, and it's not the amber.

First half-hour: When I first put this on my skin it was very rosey. Not nearly as stifling as Burial was on me, which was nice, but it still was an odd scent to my nose. I almost just washed it off to try another on, but figured I could afford to wait. Besides .. you can't just give up on one of Beth's fabulous creations!

It's mellowing now .. not quite so rosey, which is a blessing. I was afraid this might be one I'd have to pass on. I'm still not sure it's one of my favorites, but at least it isn't hideously rose like Burial was.

Final decision: It's nice. It's very rose .. but there's a lingering sweetness behind the rose, I'm not sure what I'm smelling .. but it's not enough to overpower the heady rose, and rose just doesn't seem to do well on me, unless it's lighter. I like it, but I think I'll be putting this in the swap pile. A lesson learned.

Rosalind and Spellbound got together and decided I was a bastard that they didn't care for. That's the only thing I can say about that. :P

Testing things out, I had Rosalind on one wrist and Spellbound on the other. Rosalind was darker, Spellbound sweeter, but beyond that they smelled nearly exactly the same.

Sigh. Oh well.

Spellbound is wonderful, it reminds me of alternative shops very much. I love Rose scents anyway but this one is so beguiling the musk and amber intertwine to create a stunning fragrance.

Definitely a keeper!

I get patchouli/hippy shop too. Wet, it's a pretty, if sort of dusty, rose scent. Immediately upon drydown, it goes to patchouli, which is odd since that's not an ingredient of this oil. I'm sort of on the fence with this one, I have no problem with patchouli, but I think I like Lust better.

This is an absolutely perfect perfume for me, and it has become my signature scent. A thick, heavy, spiced vanilla-rose-- wet and warm. There's a toastiness, and the smokiness of incense behind the petal, and the scent seems to hover around you, in an enveloping swath. It is a swollen, thick, sexual, luxuriant fragrance. My boyfriend's pupils dilate when he smells this on me, and he can never stop raving about it or ravishing me when I'm wearing it.

This was an overwhelmingly strong resiny-rose smell on me and actually gave me a headache about 10 minutes after putting it on, so I had to wash it off. Not for me.

While I don’t mind the smell of roses on other people, I don’t care for it on myself. This was a freebie imp thrown into my first order, and I found it to be too rosy for me. I did discover that this smells quite nice with a little bit of Queen Mab over top, though I didn’t like the combination enough to keep it.

Red. Sexy. Sophisticated. Wow! :P

At first sniff I mostly smell roses and... no hippy shop! :D

As soon as Spellbound touches my skin it is the amber that becomes most prominent. A warm and deep scent, but not heady nor overpowering (I applied very sparingly though, and seeing how rich it is, I think it would be easy to overdo it).

This is an extremely elegant blend, changeable and sensual. Seductive in an refined and mature way.

A definite keeper!

On me, this was predominantly resiny incense with the rose as more of a determined undercurrent.

Spellbound is a very opinionated oil: it wants me to wear it only in the evening and for special events, the posher the better. Ideally for the opera with a strapless ball gown, fancier jewels than I own, and my hair swept up on top of my head. However, it will condescend to go to the regular theater with me, or maybe even clubbing if it's Goth-clubbing (there's something a little melancholy and brooding about it). It HATES being taken on dinner dates and fights with the entree for my attention. Bleh. However, it does not mind dessert/coffee; in fact it sweetens everything rather beautifully. Overall, a sophisticated and slighty haughty oil with a very specific attitude: DIVA PERFUME! :P

ADDED Jan. 2:

Spellbound is getting a second review from me, because it was one of the first oils I ordered and I was ill-equipped to appreciate it. So I gave it a newb review that didn't mention any notes (oh the shame!) and then swapped it; it was too strange for me. I just received an imp from Minilux and am happy to say my better-educated nose now has a truer appreciation for it. :D

Spellbound is the darkest oil I've seen yet, almost pitch black. It slithers over your pulse points and smells like Black Rose with the feeling of Haunted (although slightly different than when you layer those two); the amber and red musk keep it from being sweet--instead it is a feral rose, redolent of dark sexuality. And this time I love it! I think I didn't know what to do with a rose that wasn't sweet, until I sampled the magick Beth can do with ambers and musks. Consider me under its spell...

in the vial: Hmmm...why do I smell grass? Grass and roses.

wet, on my skin: YES! I was SO hoping this would smell like the Siouxsie song, AND IT DOES!!

Well, it's a lot more sensuous and SEXY AS ALL FUCKING HELL, actually. Well...sensual. It's soft and warm and comforting and dark and mysterious and sweet and slinky, but it's not sex. This is feeling sexy, but not necessarily having sex. This is definitely a night time scent. This girl's nocturnal. :D This is also a very fabulous, formal-smelling scent. You don't wear this with jeans and a tee shirt, mind you, you break out the unfathomably expensive black velvet gown and stiletto heels and wear blood-red lipstick and smoky black eye makeup.

dry, on my skin: Mmmmmmmm the sensual, comforting scent of the lingering amber and languid, sexy rose.

Dammit, I can't buy a big bottle of EVERY imp I love...

(...wait a minute, why the hell not!? :D )

ETA: Serious, mature, snobby, traditionally ladylike, and a smidge brooding and mysterious. I'm on the fence about this one...I think it's a very successful oil, I'm just not sure it works for me. :P I love sultry, rosey, dark, feminine blends, but I think this one's just a little too "old" for me. :D Oh well...maybe it's a bad time of the month for my body chemistry and I'll love this in a few weeks...

Edited by Effluvia

This is the most beautiful rose scent I have ever smelled! It is so regal, sexy & noticable! I got a nice compliment from a crush, so I will definatley get a big bottle after I get my pending order! I love SPELLBOUND! JUST GORGEOUS! :P

Ive come to believe that my skin just gets along so well with amber and musk (especially red musk!). Out of the bottle this smelled just like old lady. I put it on and thought immediately that i was going to detest it. 10 minutes later i realize my wrist is glued to my nose. Wow this has turned absolutely gorgeous on me!!! :P No more old lady here.. just a gorgeous sensual deep rose blend that is so wonderfully meshed with the musk and amber that it doesnt smell overly rosy at all on me. Which is a good thing! I tend to like darker and more serious floral or spicy scents and this is just another winner to add to my wishlist of big bottles! Who knew that i could ever love anything with rose in it so much (this and alice have won me over to loving it)! The icing on the cake is taht it lasts fooooorrrever!!! It melts into my skin and doesnt smell overly powerful though which is good. Im going to be ordering a big botle with my queen of spades LE purchase. Lovely! :D

In the bottle: sweet and fragrant rose and musk

Wet: this reminds me so much of the musk stick lollies we used to eat as kids - so sweet!

Dry: still very “musk stick”-y with a touch of powdery rose.

Verdict: it’s a very yummy sweet scent, but unfortunately I don’t find it sexy at all. I'll probably wear it again, though.

The first time I wore Spellbound, I was unconvinced of its power. I had just emptied half an imp of Persephone on my person, and I think in that context, Spellbound seemed less potent, with a shorter ‘reach.’

However, I tried it again yesterday and DEAR LORD, it’s incredible. I’m not a huge roses fan, but this smells to me like roses in a voodoo shop. I used to live in New Orleans, so this is not an idle metaphor. The rosiness is perfectly counterbalanced with the amber and musk, and the result is a well-socialized blend that can speak to anyone in the room. When I wear this I can almost see the proverbial wafts of scent beckoning forth in undulating arms and pulling others towards me.

To me it didn't smell Old Lady-ish. But maybe if the old lady in question had lived the full, rich life of a libertine!

Hello Spellbound how are you today?

First sniff

Did anyone else hum the Siouxsie and the Banshees song when they first sniffed this? Anyway I smell the roses and I smell the amber which is enough for me. I

When wet

Roses rose rose. I can't smell anything but...no musk and no amber. I'm bit a put out actually!

Drydown

Still roses and nothing but. It's a bit spicier then most rose scents I have but really too strong for me.

Aftermath

Yet another rose scent I wanted to love and didn't. It's way too strong for my normal body chemistry but as there's only a bit left in the imp I guess I'll use it for a room scent. If you love a really heady rose try Spellbound.

Another BPAL surprise. This didn't go hippy-shop on me, nor did it go powdery or repel me with roses, which I usually have a hard time with. Instead it was just enchanting. I really liked this, although I felt underdressed for it :P -- this seemed like it should be worn with a long gown and pearls. In fact, it really reminded me of something a Silver Screen movie star would wear, someone like Rita Hayworth or Ava Gardner who looked great slinking down a staircase in a satin negligee. Very sophisticated.

In the bottle, this was rather mellow, a soft rose floral.

Woe to me for underestimating. A dab on each wrist soon sweetened into something musky, floral and almost overpowering. The rose and musk blended into something that SHOULD have been wonderful on me, but instead adopted a faint powdery scent that was over-powering and cloying. After about an hour of being choked on what my chemistry had turned into a "generic overpoweing old lady perfume" I gave up and washed it off.

Oh well it _sounded_ like a good idea at the time :P