Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Spellbound

Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

in the vial: dark roses, i know this smell.....from where....

wet: nice, I do not get hippie shop (love hippie shop smells but I don't get it at all),

dry down: I get a deep dark red rose, it is very moist maybe, late at night say the last rose of summer, there is a smokey feel here too, absolutely goegeous scent, I do not get the old lady comparison I feel sexy and powerful w/ this one on.

The funnies thing (I believe I have brought it up before) I always hated rosey type smells, but Beth has a way of blending them w/ something dark and mysterious and it makes me crave the dark rose goodness, I find myself reaching for these time and again and it still shocks me.

Dark and mysterous.... Roses worn by the femm fatal of the movie. A tilted hat with lace veil 'pon the face wearing a long dress studded by sparkling stones, maybe crooning German lyrics to a song about falling in love- all takeing place during the late 1930's.

It was late. A Friday night with rain running in rivlets down the window frames. She came in without knocking. Just seeing her shape through the clouded glass door with my name, Sam Spaide PI, I knew I would be takeing her case. Even if it was closing time, and I needed that drink.

I was right. She walked in the office, distraught and all legs. Two things I love in a dame.

"Mr. Spaide, I have a case for you."

She spoke those words as she dropped a manilla folder on top of my desk. Other than the fancy script written on the folder, the thing which stood out the most was her scent. Roses. Not the sweet and innocent roses of childhood. Dark roses. Roses which real WOMEN wear just to give her the advantage to knock a man down and bend him to her will. Too powerful for any man to withstand. I certianly wouldn't struggle, unless this dame wanted me to....

Ok so I digressed into a little fantasy there forgive my little foibles. That's what Spellbound is all about. An old fashioned rose scent - NOT your grandmother's rosegarden, but the roses she smelled like when she was in her twenties. Roses crafted to give woman the advantage and power over whatever man her heart desired.

Spellbound is very strong, I'd definatly use it as a "going out to a fancy dinner, or fancy dance" type scent. NOT a clubbing one. I think Spellbound would take offence to be worn to something so unsophisticated... Think of this as divine flurtation at a state dinner. Or a formal dance's come hither stare.

Roses and slight musk, maybe? But the roses stick out the most. My mate did like this one, so I know it wasn't the ROSES in Whip that made him think of his sister. In fact, something in this rated a "woah" from him.

Attractive to men? I'm not certian.

This is a sweet scent which doesn't die eaisly. A full day of wear and Spellbound still is going strong on my skin. I do like it. *covets imp vial* I must wear it when I have my fancy occation and mate back to dance with.

I have to admit that I didn't get any rose out of this. I guess the musk or something overtook it. My chemistry didn't bring out the rose, it just turned the whole perfume to a really generic, perfume-y scent that wasn't quite what I'd been hoping for.

This was a Lab freebie in my last order, and not one I would ever have ordered for myself. "Roses", of course, is a warning sign for me -- and it seems that roses + musk = floral soap. After about 9 hours, the rose has faded faster than the amber and musk, and it's less soapy-smelling, but it's still not one I have any interest in keeping. R. didn't like it any better than I did. This is a really strong one, too; I only put on a tiny bit, and I suspect I'm still going to have to wash it off before bed, or he'll have a headache in the morning.

I closed my eyes and reached into my monstrous pile of imps and pulled out Spellbound this morning. I was in a hurry so luckily I didn't slather it on. It is a very strong scent that seems to be lasting.

I don't get roses from this. I read the description after getting to work and was really surprised to see not one, but three! roses. I'm getting a soft warm scent. The amber and musk seem to be taking the lead. The roses are way in the background, like they are drifting in on the breeze and mixed with the amber and musk to the point of not being definable.

I like this scent but it is definitely not for the faint of heart. It is a stand up and take notice scent...reminds me of the "nobody puts Baby in the corner" line from Dirty Dancing. This would be the scent she would wear to tango her heart out.

it didnt really work out on me. It was waaay to strong on the rose...went nice on my lightbulb though. Filled my room with a soft, sensual glowing rose smell.

I've received two imps of this and I really can't imagine why I haven't bought a bottle yet! Money I guess. This is my first review so please be gentle with me :P Here goes ... ... ...

When I receive imps I always look the scent up so I know what i'm looking for when I sniff. When I saw that this had roses in it I though "Oh no, it'll smell like an octogenarians knicker draw!" but I tried it anyway and was SO pleasantly suprised. This is the most beautiful soft scent. The roses are there but they mingle with the other ingredients in such a way that it's like smelling a memory. This scent to me is happy times, before I had to be a grown up, when every minute of the day was like morning. It's going into an alternative shop to buy light cotton scarves and silver rings, it's getting your first tattoo, it's oiling your first leather jacket, it's many things to many people I suspect but well worth a try, even as an imp. It certainly brightened up my day :D

RequiemInBlack was kind enough to pass her imp of Spellbound my way (my first ever BPAL scent received. Whee!). When I opened the little package and got my first whiff, my brain (and probably my mouth, though I can't recall off-hand) went "AWWHHHWHWHWHHW" for several seconds. I caught a bit of sandalwood/lighter incense smell as well as a touch of rose (both are notes that I adore to bits) when opening the bottle.

Once on my wrists, however, it went straight to musk (which my skin is prone to do, sadly). Very strong, not unlike nag champa (which is actually another reason I'd wanted to try it as Leigh Ann mentioned that particular scent similarity to me before passing it along). I kept going back and smelling it every few minutes to see if the scent had changed at all. I eventually did detect a bit of the rose-y element, but by that point my allergies were tingling and I had to wash it off.

This blend is *long* lasting as after three hand washings and a shower, I could still catch glimpses of the oil on my wrists. But by then, it was much more tolerable.

Overall, it struck me as a scent that I'd like to wear when I'm older. It's too heavy for me now (I'm 24 and tend to wear more powdery rose scents or sweeter perfumes). I will probably experiment with oil burning and use it as a room fragrance for the time being. And maybe stick it on a blotter pad in a scent locket on days when I'm feeling bold.

this is dark, strong, powdery and lovely. a little goes a long way!

I'm really enjoying trying blends with amber as my skin seems to like them a lot. I'm not sure if I want a big bottle of this just yet, I want to try a few more rosy scents first, but I'm not giving the imp away, that's certain.

All of the notes are very apparent in this blend--the rose, the amber, the musk. It's a very balanced, grounding blend. It reminds me of how the spa smells, very soothing and relaxing. Nice. :P

This one I wasn't crazy about the smell in the imp, but I've learned not to judge by that alone, so I put it on. On initial drydown, I couldn't smell ANYTHING at all! I started to think I hadn't put enough on, but thankfully I didn't apply more as many other people mentioned this is quite potent. About an hour later, the smell started wafting up to me, and I notice it's scent quite strong. Actually giving me a slight headache, so hopefully it's going to soften a bit.

I'm getting the smell of straight rose, but yes a mature rose. Very sophisticated. It also definitely gets points for it's staying power. I have to agree with other reviewers that this feels like an elegant evening out kind of scent. Frankly, I think I'm not really that classy :P For a lovely rose scent, I think I'll stick with Harlot.

i am clearly in the minority here, and i have to say, i am a foodie/gourmand type, but this was like headshop central. very incense-y, only the die-hard could possibly wear this. i found it very strong & disconcerting. like old lady perfume mixed with incense. horrible. CANNOT wash this off fast enough.

In the vial:

This smells very warm. The rose is barely noticeable now, I smell mostly musk with a touch of amber. As I love all the notes in it, I think I’m going to like this one. It’s very promising...

Wet:

Someone mentioned hippie shop on here, and that’s what I smell too. The rose comes out more, but it’s darkened by the musk with a hint of amber. It smells juicy, wet, very exotic and oriental.

I like this a lot. Although it’s a heavy rose, it’s not too heavy, as some scents can be. It’s more like an adult rose scent, very sexy and feminine but definitely not old ladylike!

Dry:

The rose plays hide and seek with the musk/amber blend. The warm scent remains throughout the day. I didn’t need to reapply because it has good staying power.

Overall: This is definitely a scent for me! I love the scent of roses and this one adds something extra!

Requieminblack said this reminded her of the way my old apartment smells. I had already "ordered" it from a forumite, & I have to say she was right. :P

In the bottle: strong rose, with a hint of amber & musk

Wet: the rose is drying down a bit, which is good. The amber & musk create an odd swirl of scents that is vaguely familiar

Drydown: I think this smells like an incense my old roommate used to burn. I'm definitely reminded of an amber scent box (where you put a chunk of powdery amber in a box with holes in it) I had as a kid, but I can smell the musk and the roses as well.

I'll definitely enjoy this imp, but I don't know if that apartment is somehting I want to be reminded of everyday, so I probably won't get a big bottle jsut yet.

Spellbound:

I wasn't sure about this one at first. Because normally with the rose scents that's all you can smell on me. But I ove red musk so I gave it a try at first it smelled slightly like Scherezade that must be the musk. Only there was a hint of something sweeter in the backgrought. After it dryed the musk and rose seem to balance each other very nicely. I'm not sure if I'll get a 5ml but I know I'll be hanging on to the imp and ware it again.

In the imp and wet on my skin, all I could smell was amber - fortunately a variety that I liked (I've smelled some amber and not liked it at all, others I've loved)

As it dries down, it gets more complex, and the rose starts peeping out after about ten minutes, and the musk manifests.

Over time, the scent becomes more complex, and quite well balanced. Amber is still very much the dominant note, but now it's got something supporting it, and doing so very well.

Definite staying power too - unlike some wonderful-but-short-lived BPAL scents I've tried, this one is in for the long haul - great, it's something I can wear when I go clubbing!

Maybe it's just me, but I find this one particulalry sexy! With that in mind, I think it's a bit too heavy for the daytime, but great for the evening - particularly date night!

- Johanna

I expected to like this: I like roses, amber, and musk. But this just smelled like overpowering and dark rose incense to me. It was very strong and had great throw and lasting power. It reminded me of Rakshasa (though I'm not sure why--the strong rose, I guess). Not for me--off to swaps.

this wasn't very strong on me. i had to re-apply it to get a good idea of what it smelled like. it's like a mixture of nag champa and roses. powdery and smoky, very subtle and understated.

Edited by tinyvulture

slightly powdery rose made a little more interesting by the amber and the musk, although i can't actually pick those notes out. good for when i'm feeling flowery, which isn't very often.

Rose is usually a no-go for me, so I dabbed on a tiny bit. "Yeah, it's rosey.. probably a swap pile candidate... o, there's that earthy note again, Ill hate this one for sure... it smells like a hippie shop as well...erm, actually, I'm not too adversive to this at all..." Sure, not an instant favourite, but I'll try decently wearing this (and not just a tiny little spot on the back of my hand) to see how I like the full effect. And that, for me, is something most rose blends never get the chance to.

Final Verdict: Interesting enough to give it a shot.

Edited by Tesseljoan

reminds me of a cross between saturnalia and morgause, with the same ill effects that they had. all of them came from the same box; i bought a lot of 12 imps off of ebay. i don't know if they all really smell this way or if they were just busy conspiring amonst themselves on the way here, but it really reminds me of those two.

I *love* this one. In the bottle, and wet, it starts as a high sharp amber, with the other scents in the background, but as it dries the amber recedes and it becomes a deep, complex, sexy rose and musk blend. Not sweet at all, a very strong, kind of dark scent. And it has quite good lasting power. This is one I'd order more of.

I love this.

It is my first BPAL imp.

I received it as a gift.

It is floral but oriental, and has a great lasting power.