Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Caitfish

Nefertiti

“The Beautiful One Is Come”. Egyptian iris and olibanum with red and white sandalwood, soft myrrh and a breath of North African herbs.

Wet: Hmm this is light so hard to pick out all the notes. Iris of course,frankincense, myrrh, then..?
Drydown: it faded quickly then came back to life. Strange! I can smell the sandalwoods now. The frankincense amps and iris gets greener and rooty. Nice green clean blend that reminds me of something I tried when I 1st started purchasing from the lab..but damn if I can remember! Maybe smells like some of the floral graveyard-inspiried scents. I had tested this next to a sweet one, and it was awesome. Will keep for mixing and those days when I need a gentle clean solemn scent.

Very pleasant in the imp-warm iris and a smattering of herbs. Not really noticing the sandalwood tbh, though I tend to amp woods on my skin.

Oooof, on my skin I get a BLAST of something sharp and herby, but it quickly starts to mellow as it dries on my skin. Then I get that nice warm iris again-sweet and a bit powdery. I am hoping this doesn't dry too powdery on my skin.

Ok, this is beautiful on me! Sweet iris, with a touch of herbs and myrrh. There's a bit of sandalwood in there, but I'm not amping it for once and I'm not getting powdery doom! Almost feels a touch golden to me.

As it continues to dry though it starts to go wayyy powdery. Like, 85% sweet powder :( I think I got maybe a half hour before powder set it. I really enjoyed this blend for its first thirty minutes, but unfortunately, my skin just powderizes it. So lovely wet though, and I am so glad I got to test it!

In the imp: is a floral, green herby scent. I'm not sure if I'm gonna dig it.

Wet on skin: The sandalwood kinda rounds out everything. It grounds the herby scent so it's not too green. Sandalwood doesn't usually work on my skin, but it's nice in this scent. I like the myrrh. It gives it a tinge of spice.

Dry down: The scent is kind of generic. I've smelled it before and I can't place where. It's a pleasant smell. It's not really strong on my skin, but it's still there if I press my nose to my wrist. It's a scent that is okay for me. I don't see me grabbing for it a lot.

I am glad I got to try it.

first is the iris, next is the sandlewood, after that is gets mysterious to me, but I like it, sweet, bright, womanly, mysteriouse.

In the imp: Lots of iris, and I can pick out some sandalwood too. There's a combination of notes that really reminds me of reeds and the riverside.

Wet: Very pretty florals, and it suits the herbs so well. I really do get the sense of an Egyptian queen. But it's not like the "queen sitting holding court among her many riches" deeper scent I was expecting, it's a "queen resting on her ferry floating down the Nile and still being awesome" kind of scent. It's a bright aquatic floral slightly tempered by the herbs and what smells to me like dirt. There's sandalwood and myrrh, but they're a very small part of the overall impression, there to hold everything together.

Drydown: My skin has decided I should get very well acquainted with the myrrh note, apparently. The other notes are still there, but myrrh is the main player. Unfortunately, something about the way the myrrh is mixing with what I think are the herbs is creating a sweet tang that is literally a little nauseating...and it persists until the scent wears off. It's not so much that I want to take it off early, but it does cut into my enjoyment of the scent overall.

This is a very nice scent, but it's not for me. Weird tang issue aside, the overall effect is too bright for my personal tastes. I love florals, but I like them a little deeper or creamier than this.

Edited by lilyliza

This has been in the imp box for months and I'm just getting around to reviewing it. I think I'll love it because it has two sandalwoods, but iris can get soapy/powdery so we'll see.

I smells like woods and grass in the imp. On my skin, the iris comes out but it's not piercing my brain with floral overkill. It smells very clean, like a sandalwood soap I had once. I think this is a pretty, classic perfume and I like to smell it, but it's not something I'd normally wear.

Dry sandalwood and herbs in the imp. Definitely not my thing. I love sandalwood but not when it's this dry. The iris comes out a bit when wet, and it starts to smell wetter and juicier. No resins are present, at least not to my nose. Once dry, it's mostly a soft iris with the slightest hint of something herbaceous in the background. I'm definitely appreciating the latter stages of this, but ultimately, it is not a blend for which I'd be reaching.

In vial: Iris, filmy and light, with a faint trace of herbaceousness.

Wet: More soft iris, nondescript myrrh.

Dry: Is that sandalwood? Maybe not. Usually sandalwood is the first thing I notice in blends that have it, but not in this case! It does smell rather generic, as someone else said.

Verdict: I was surprised at how light & calm this blend is - serene & clean come to mind.

Wet: Sharp herbal/green notes, like fresh-cut grass or loose high-quality gyokuro tea. This is supposed to represent an Egyptian queen?

Dry: OK, here come the sandalwood and iris. Myrrh is actually behaving on my skin, as it usually kills blends for me and grinds them to ash. The herbs and olibanum aren't as piercing as they were when wet, but they still linger more than I'd like.

Overall: Nefertiti is a clean aquatic herbal I can see as evocative of a queen looking out unto the Nile. However, I would've thought a blend named for the queen herself would be a much more exotic, powerful blend. I'm reminded more of Chanel No.19 than Egypt. If you like green/herbal scents, this is for you. I don't, so it's off to the swap pile.

Frimp from the lab.

In imp: Strong sandalwood plus herbs, sweet but not overly

On wet: Florals coming out and a dry warmth which must be the myrrh. Sandalwood fading back a bit. Subdued sweetness, exotic.

Drying: Very pleasant but fades within an hour. Same thing happened with morocco – could it be me and sandalwood? Every now and then throughout the day I detected a nice waft of sandalwood. May take someone’s suggestion of mixing with water for a linen spray as it is very pleasant.

Overall: Not a bottle as it fades too fast unfortunately.

Wow. This one got a positive from Chris (husband). This is not easy to do with him and scent, as he says any scent on me is gilding the lily.

Keep in mind here that I'm not used to reviewing scent, please...This was an frimp I got from Calivianya.

In the imp - almost a dusty smell - maybe the sandalwood and myrrh?

Wet - Getting sweeter - some florals, still that dusty smell but it's getting warmer...

As it dries - This is when Chris smelled it and liked it. Reminds me of golden sun as a scent. Slightly sweet with a tang of ..something...(probably the Iris).

I like it a lot more than I expected from reading the description, as I'm not normally big on sandalwood (or at least I didn't think I was, LOL!). This BPAL thing is going to turn into an adventure!

Sniffed: A feminine woody-resinous-herbal scent, touched with the bright clarity of iris.

On skin: Dry yet light herbs mixed in with dry sandalwood, contrasting with clear, bright floral note of iris, which strengthens over time while the herbs retreat into the sandalwood base. Perhaps the barest touch of rich, deep myrrh emerges, but overall, Nefertiti is a light herbal-woody-resinous scent, dry and a little grainy, yet softened and made feminine with iris. It bears a passing resemblance to No. 93 Engine, so I think the olibanum and herbs are similar. An exotic scent, somewhat aloof and regal, yet alluring. It's fascinatingly feminine in a non-traditional way. Colour impression is the green-tinged gold of brass or verdigrised copper.

Verdict: Nefertiti smells fascinating, and I'm quite taken by her! However, herbal-woody blends aren't quite my cup of tea, and I'm not sure if I'd wear this often. Will have to think about it and give this regal lady another chance.

This really smells like night blooming jasmine to me. I'm wondering if it is the combination of notes that is making me think this. Quite heady, floral, light and womanly. Not really for me, but I do enjoy these types of scents on occasion. Especially in the middle of winter.

• ITI: The herbs here are soft and slightly medicinal when paired with the iris and olibanum. I was expecting something a bit more regal and slightly haughty, perhaps with an orchid or even a jasmine note, but this is a bit watery and unassuming. Hopefully this develops a bit more on my skin.

Wet: The iris is a little stronger and I get a subtle hint of olibanum, but myrrh and sandalwood are sadly lacking, which would give the scent the depth I think it so desperately needs. It's a bit too herbal and green, like Garden of Death.

Dry: Once dry, the sandalwood emerges and settles on par with the iris and olibanum, just over the herbs. It's still a little medicinal, but not overwhelmingly so. It has taken on the more regal quality I had wanted from it, but it still just is a little lacking, in terms of purple florals and strong resinous tones (myrrh, I'm looking at your no-show note).

182: NEFERTITI
GC: Ars Amatoria
"“The Beautiful One Is Come”. Egyptian iris and olibanum with red and white sandalwood, soft myrrh and a breath of North African herbs."

Received from Lab 21 October 2013

In bottle: Sandal, frankincense, and myrrh. I'm not familiar with iris (I don't think), so I can't pick it out. Soft and resinous. I like this!

Wet: Softly floral and resinous. Rich and sweet. Nice!

Dry down: Sweet and gently resinous - love the almost buttery myrrh. Faintly floral from the iris, I think.

Dry: Myrrh and frankincense and sandal - this has faded to a soft breath of hazy resins and wood. I think this would be worth a bottle in the future, for sure!

4/5

In the bottle and wet, this is straight iris--bright, white floral, but very pretty. Dry, the sandalwood, myrrh and herbs come out to soften and balance the iris. Very pretty, but not outstanding for me. White floral iris and dry sandalwood.

Edited by delighted

Put this on without reading the notes and was shocked to see there is no jasmine listed. That was the first top note I got and rather strong. I do not remember iris (oris root I am assuming) smelling like this! It dries down into a gorgeous floral incense. I still cannot pick up the sandalwood 30 minutes into dry down, but do get something green. This smells like an expensive oriental perfume. Well worthy of its name. Bottle candidate.

Preeettyyy! Warm, aquatic, dusty, tropical... all sorts of goodness. The notes are easy to pick apart. A sexy, feminine scent with a decent throw. At drydown, the florals pop out but everything's still there. Myrrh always amps up on my skin though but it's not at all distracting/overpowering.

Perhaps I should get a bottle of this in the future... :lovestruck:

Edited by Cali

Based on the notes, this could really go either way on me

Wet: Sour wood!! Blah. Sandalwood is usually the only wood that doesn't do that whole sour thing on me. Hopefully it settles as it dries. The iris is coming through as well - not good. Bleck.

Dry: All iris with a bit of sandalwood. I really don't care for iris, so this one isn't for me.

Potent purple-blue iris. I don't smell anything else for some minutes, and then I start to pick up an herbal mix (including a dash of pepper?) and a grainy touch of frankincense.

This is pretty, but iris just isn't my jam.

I wasn't sure how iris and sandalwood was going to come together, but it kind of works. The woodiness counteracts the powdery aspect from the iris. While wet, it feels pretty relaxing and almost dreamy. It's all around pretty soft, but now that it's dry the myrrh is making the whole thing go to soap for me. Myrrh, why do you do this to me?

Egyptian iris and olibanum with red and white sandalwood, myrrh, North African herbs

Lab frimp aged about 6 years.

In the imp: Clear, pale amber oil. A gorgeous floral scent, slightly herbal, with no notes I can identify. Almost aquatic, but not at all sharp.

On me, wet: 9:56. Pm. Deeper and greener, less emphatically floral.

At 5 minutes: I still can't pin down any notes, but this is incredibly beautiful. Very bright, cool, clean, and feminine in mood. As I keep sniffing, different layers of scent waft up. No incense (olibanum or sandalwood) so far - those are the only notes I'd recognize.

At 10 minutes: It has already become very light on my wrist, but is the same gorgeous scent.

At 20 minutes: I get a hint of sandalwood now, so light that it is more like powder than incense or even wood. Maybe the white sandalwood. It does inspire visions of a silky and pretty, pearly white powder. Otherwise the fragrance is still much the same.

At 30 minutes: No further change.

At 45 minutes: Lighter, very slightly woodier and warmer.

At 1 1/2 hours: Quite faint, and all powder (but still pretty.)

Verdict: This doesn't evoke Nefertiti, or even Egypt, to me. There's nothing of the grandeur, mystery, authority, or exoticism of that powerful Queen. Instead, it is a little girl in a grassy meadow filled with blooms. But it does have one thing in common with Nefertiti: both are stunningly gorgeous. After the first 10 minutes, it becomes quite light, so would be a good choice for wearing in public where some people may be sensitive to stronger scents. It needs more frequent reapplication than the average BPAL oil, more like a traditional cologne in longevity.

6 out of 6 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I tested this out at night because I was very doubtful that it would work on me, and didn't want to get stuck smelling it all day. What a surprise! It is not my usual taste. Once it dries down it is quite strong. It has tremendous throw. My husband sat near me on the couch and immediately asked what I was trying out. After settling it becomes a dry, sweet floral. It's a very summery scent, though I fear in the actual summer heat it may become overwhelming. The iris is definitely the strongest note, amping quite a bit. I wish the sandalwood balanced it a bit better, but it is still nice. I won't be searching out a bottle, but the imp will stay in my collection. I may try layering with some patchouli single note to see if it tempers the aggressive floral edge. 

I would give Nefertiti a 3 out of 5

In the imp: Iris and grounding resins. 

On my skin:

At first, it's just the same as in the imp. As it dries, the grounding notes fade back, and the iris amps up. I am honestly not loving this phase. 

Which is a shame since this is where it stays. I can detect just a hint of grounding underneath, which mostly serves as a platform to amplify the iris. It is just... not me. 

Nefertiti is all about the iris and herbs on me for several hours. Iris does not get along with my skin chemistry, so it is an herbal powder bomb on me with just a hint of the resins in the background.

I am glad I got to try it in my quest to try the GC, but Nefertiti is not for me. The iris was just not well-behaved on my skin.