Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Golden Hour, casting a glorious light onto all it touches: sweet amber and golden oudh with vanilla cream, white cognac, saffron, and warm golden musk.

Fresh from the mailbox and onto my skin.

Amber & Lace is lovely. It's creamy, Lacey, with just a bit of oomph from the saffron and cognac. It doesn't have the tobacco note that several of the other Laces have, which makes it a little different but still within the Lace family (my skin boosts tobacco, so I noticed the difference).

Wet, it's rich and strong. At this stage -- though I haven't tried every Lace -- it reminds me of Beautiful Death without the berries.

Dried down, it honestly reminds me of cream soda. It's smooth and sweet, with just a bit of kick.

It's got moderate throw. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one settles, but it's off to a good start!

In The Bottle: the saffron note that I recall all-too-well from MB: Underpants is front and center :laugh: Also, oddly, I get a blond tobacco from this, which is puzzling, since there is NO tobacco! I am going to assume it must be the golden musk. Odd!

Wet On Skin: Ah- THERE'S the resin! The resin is just starting to come out. It's warm and reminds me strongly of violin rosin, which wa frankly the best part of being forced to play violin in junior high school :tongue:

Dry Down: Light throw on me, this is another fine Lace for the collection. I don't get amber in the petrified-tree-sap sense, but this scent is full of gorgeous resins and saffron to lend a little spice.

I cannot WAIT to see how this ages! :wub2:

I'm definitely getting the tobacco note VioletChaos noticed. There's no tobacco listed in this one, so maybe it's a trick of the oudh and saffron, or maybe blonde tobacco is the 'golden' element and just isn't named. Either way, this is pretty loud and punchy on that note first on. It reminds me of a lot of the various tobacco blends I own. I too don't get strong amber, but this is really, REALLY nice once it dries down and those punchy top notes burn off. It's smooth and sweet and golden and warm, spiced and resinous and creamy. I like it about a thousand percent more after about an hour; that said, it's not bad in the start. It's just going to be one of those scents that's difficult to put on in the morning because it's so loud and heavy.

It doesn't seem to have great throw once it settles down, but my bottle also hasn't rested at all. The throw and staying power might ramp up as it settles in.

I let this rest for a day before testing it because it is so hot here.

In the bottle: Resins, cognac, vanilla cream, a bit of saffron, and like a few others, I feel like there may be a blonde tobacco note in this, too, but maybe that’s my nose playing tricks on me because I’m used to that being in a Lace scent.

Wet: The amber and the cognac notes jump out at me first, followed by the vanilla cream. Then, I get the oudh, which reads to me as a sweeter variety, and then the saffron emerges. After a few minutes, I get lots of saffron, vanilla, and resins. The cognac is still there, but it is not as strong as it was initially.

Dry: On me, this is saffron-infused vanilla cream, cognac, cozy resins, and musk. It’s Love’s Philosophy’s saffron + Lace vanilla and cognac + resins on a bed of golden musk! Really lovely!

Verdict: I am really glad that I leapt for a bottle! I love how vanilla-forward this one is on me. This smells wonderful already, but I think it will only get better with age!

Wet: Oudh(PLEASE behave), and vanilla cream. I agree with previous reviews that it smells like tobacco is in this, even though it's not listed. Very, very rich.

Dry: Oudh still dominates, along with amber. The vanilla cream has basically died out; I think the oudh overpowered it. I'm going to have to let this one sit for a while; right now, it's not doing so well on my skin.

Much like R. Kelly, this reminds me of something, I just can't think of what it is.

this starts off with amber and vanilla cream, the cognac and saffron peeking out moments later. i do get something that smells like tobacco next, as previous reviewers have mentioned. i'm wondering if it's the "golden" oudh. i've tried bpal's black, red and white oudhs, but i don't recall trying a scent with golden oudh, so maybe that's it. overall it's a beautiful, warm golden scent, and i think it will really shine in the fall/winter seasons.

I tried Amber Lace fresh out of the mailbox last night, and this morning after some rest, and the experiences differ a bit.

In both cases, this began on my skin as a sweet, creamy-smooth vanilla amber with a drop of cognac. It's a full-bodied sweet and creamy blend edged in antique lace, all gold and sepia.

In drydown, a subtle saffron emerges.

Last night at this point, I just got the lace blend as a background beyond that. This morning I'm getting a prominent golden tobacco. Starting in drydown, a soft, golden tobacco and the vanilla cream are the most prominent notes. Amber warms the blend throughout with a diffuse golden light.

Once this dries, all notes settle on me into a soft and creamy golden lace blend. I still pick out vanilla cream and cognac sometimes, but mostly this has gone all blendy.

Surprisingly, I don't get oudh from this in any of its phases yet. It might come in later.

When my friend tried this last night, she got loads of golden musk. She usually amps musks.

This is essentially L’Estate on me. The moment I first smelled it, I knew I had its cousin—a high-end scent—somewhere on my stash, a fragrance only pulled out for special occasions (since it cost a pretty penny on second market!). It is warm and glowing in the same way L’Estate reads on me; except for the minor changes in supporting notes, the overall profile remains the same, and it smells delightful. My only problem now is that I’ve begun to amp amber, so we’ll see whether this and L’Estate will remain wearable in the future.

Amber, musk, and a whiff of vanilla. This is a very golden scent. Heavy, opulent, and has great staying power. It's a bit of a skin scent but its lasted like eight hours on my skin already and I've already washed my hands three times.

This stuff's pretty glorious. Amber and Lace starts out as a wonderful, grown-up caramel, with a subtle, warm, earthy core. Gradually the dusty amber becomes more pronounced, turning this to a sweet, golden, brown sugar crusted resin. It's sensual, dry and raspy in texture, and I am very happy to have a bottle.

ETA: Yeah. I definitely get some smooth tobacco going on too, but tobacco tends to smell caramelly to me, so that, with the vanilla creme. There ya go. Mmmmmmmmmm.....

Edited by VetchVesper

I adore Beth's amber. Some amber is so potent and powdery, but whatever amber that Beth sources, is so smooth and so golden. Amber goes so perfectly with that cognac-vanilla-musk trifecta. This, like most of the Lace family, is going to age to perfection. I feel like there is a whiff of tobacco here, too, and that's not a complaint because I love it.

Lovely, warm amber and creamy vanilla with the cognac.  I love this.  It is pretty close to Krampus Lace on me, but KL is not as warm.  I can't wait to see how this ages.

Wet: Immediately identifiable as a "Lace" scent. Then the amber comes through and it gets even more glorious. This may be my favourite Lace of all time - it's like Black Lace and Hesiod's Phoenix had the most gorgeous baby...WIN

Dry: I really like this. Black Lace (Res, specifically, and the one I identify as being slightly "apple-y" plus really warm, lovely amber.

Right out of the imp this reminds me of Disrespect For Established Authority - my first thoughts are leather + incense. 

That fades very quickly and this turns into a blanket of vanilla, oudh, and saffron. Amber is not the star here, but it's hanging out in the background with the golden musk. Overall it's a warm, cozy scent with a bit of a boozy tang from the cognac. A beautiful, delicate scent.

I loved this Lace, but something about it kept making me reconsider. I think it was the cognac note; I kept up finding it too heady, and a little offputting.

The amber was very nice; warm, and just slightly dusty, and I loved the saffron and tobacco. Mixed with the Lace note, it was a really nice blend; resinous-but-also-slightly-gourmand, and not overly sweet to me.

But sadly my nose just hones in on that cognac and I just can't handle it. 😂

This, of all the laces i have tried, is vying it's way to the top of my favorites list. It's softer and sweeter than Autumn, Lavender, Emerald, and Tattered...only Antique beats it out.

Bottle:

In the bottle, the cognac reigns supreme. It overwhelms the soft sweetness, and may throw folks off. Don't let it fool you!

Wet:

Like others have said above, I also smell tobacco, despite it being missing from the notes list. Perhaps this is the blending of saffron and cognac? The vanilla and amber provide a soft bed for these two star players, supporting them but refusing to let them overwhelm. The golden musk and oud provide a depth to scent. Overall, it feels like lying in a warm garden, the sun on your face, kitty purring beside you.

Dry:

The sweetness of the amber and vanilla become the main characters as the scent slowly settles. The other notes recede, but don't disappear entirely. In the garden now, the sun is fading and the cat has run off to do important cat things. In the still warm twilight you are enveloped by the sunset and can sense a faint sweetness surrounding you.

Also of note, my mom has yet to regain her full sense of smell after covid. Yesterday when I was wearing this, she remarked "You smell really good, what are you wearing?"