Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A russet chypre slathered in vintage patchouli and black tea with golden amber, hiba wood, and iris root.

This one feels like an instant classic, sophisticated and gorgeous. I first smell the tannin-heavy black tea, the mossy chypre and the strong wood - an earthy but somehow sparkling combination. The patchouli then comes into play, and it reminds me of rich fragrances my grandmother's generation wore before hippie patchouli existed. The amber is sweet and has almost a citrus quality, which plays back and forth with the soft dryness of the iris root. The resulting combination is an assertive, long-lasting dress-up kind of perfume. It's definitely a nose-glued-to-the-wrist one for me.

I didn't actually order Globe; my lovely decanter sent it by mistake and told me just to keep it. Historically, chypres have not worked on me; they read as "too cologney" on my skin, meaning, probably, that they remind me of the aftershave my male relatives wore in my childhood. Globe is no exception, though it's a particularly lovely version of the genre. It really does feel auburn in color and strikes me as more autumnal than springlike.

I'm more comfortable with the drydown. The cologne aspect recedes in favor of the woods and amber, the throw reduces significantly (it was substantial while wet), and it becomes elegantly unisex. I don't get much tea, but that's a note my skin tends to swallow up. I will probably pass this decant on, but I'm delighted I got to try this beautifully crafted scent I wouldn't ordinarily have chosen.

Oh wow. I think so far, this may be my standout Luper aside from Snake's Kiss. It's this warm, spicy, sophisticated amber chypre. It smells like a gender neutral cologne but the amber warms it up a bit. You can smell the patchouli but it's pretty low down, and just adding a smidge to the amber. UGH.

Love this. Good throw, medium wear length.

Initially it's wood and amber, very masculine, but the patchouli ends up dominating for me (like usual). Tea never works on me: either it's not there or fades too fast. I do like this -- softer and slightly more interesting patchouli -- but ultimately it's not much different than everything else that goes super-patch on me. Definitely still on the masculine side, and not quite spring-like, but I like that.

Globe didn't blip on my radar at first, but I went for it from reviews.

On my skin it begins as a woody, spicy cologne in front of a patchouli that's soft and a bit sweet, and a hint of dark tea. This doesn't read as a rough or dirty patchouli at all, and it's lovely.

I keep smelling a cardamom spiciness that reminds me of Unicorn and Ram. Actually, there's a cozy, warm-sweater mood to Globe that reminds me very much of both Unicorn and Ram (woolly musk, soft leather, cashmere, cardamom, leather oudh) and Hoiru (bourbon vanilla, suede leather, tonka, patchouli, pale amber, blackened tea leaf, coconut husk, cashmere). This feels to me like a cologne version of them.

After this dries, as others have mentioned, the cologne part steps back. I seem to amp some spice in this, and drydown leaves me a well-blended spicy, woody patchouli.

Sophisticated and mature.

A dry, masculine scent with strong notes of patchouli, raspy hiba wood, and bitter black tea.  A cologne for a refined, sophisticated man. The tea note mellows with time and it's quite lovely!