Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ReallyZeb

Couple Enjoying a Summer Breeze

White sage and patchouli with Himalayan cedarwood, sweet labdanum, and brown sugar.

Sorry, this one ended up a bit stream of consciousness!

In the bottle it is a very sharp sage with an edge of the cedarwood. Wet on my skin I get a peatiness that makes me think of a good whiskey, but the patchouli is just behind it peeking out from under. Drinking whiskey in a long established library on a rainy day somewhere in Ireland.

As it dries I'm having a problem tearing my nose away from the scent, it is gorgeous. There's a slight citrus fizz to it and the sage has softened a lot.

Gradually it softens out to a smooth herbal patchouli, so mellow and comforting that I think I will fall asleep with my wrist pressed to my nose.

There's still a faint trace in the morning.

Cedar, sage, and sugary resins. This one is a warm cedary blend with sage and sugar. It's slightly masculine woods on me. Medium throw and wear length.

This one is all sharp sage and stinky patchouli to me, no sweetness. Less a summer breeze and more a punch in the face of herbs. Tis not for me, alas.

In the imp: A dry, aromatic scent; mainly cedar, with the edges softened by sage. There's almost a smoky quality to it, like a campfire in the mountains comprised mainly of cedarwood, with some dried sage used as kindling/tossed on for some flavor.

Wet: Still cedar-and-sage-in-that-order-dominant, but now a little more resinous - I almost want to say ponderosa pines. After a few minutes, just a hint of brown sugar arrives to bring the whole blend a little more warmth and sweetness. This is the essence of hiking in the Sierras in the summer, with the sun beating down on the grasses around you and the pines getting a little sappy.

Dry: No real surprises here. The sage, which has softened to a sort of omnidirectional herbaceousness, comes to dominate, and the cedar dials way down. That touch of brown sugar remains throughout, not candy-sweet, but providing the whole thing with warmth and unity.

I didn't expect to find a heartening, John Muir-y, hiking scent among this year's Lupers, but I'm glad I did! Most likely bottle-worthy.

Drat and double drat! Cedar is a no no note for me, but I was hoping it would pay nicely with everything else. It doesn't though. :( There's a sweet warmth behind the cedar from the labdanum and brown sugar, and I think I detect the faint tickle of herbal sage, but this is very much a cedar scent on me. A smooth one, but it still goes into musty attic territory..

If you wear cedar well though, I imagine this is probably a smooth, brown blend, with a hint of earthy sweetness. I think it might work very well on a man.

Edited by VetchVesper

This was one of those that I chose on a whim, mainly because it has sage and I love BPAL's sage note

This did not disappoint.

Wet, this is all sage--not a bad thing at all. This was a lovely, silvery, very real sage scent.

In the dry-down, the sage melded into the other notes seamlessly. I tend to amp cedar, but here it does not overwhelm at all, but instead creates this incredible backdrop for the other notes. My husband and I both agree that, somehow, this smells like MD Ren Fest. It has an incredible depth and complexity and is comforting in a way that I expect from a really good sage scent. I will need a bottle of this.

Couple Enjoying a Summer Breeze was not on my radar at all last year.  I'm not sure I realized then how much I like labdanum.  Testing blind, I got cedar and sparkling labdanum with its cola-like sweetness, which the brown sugar (once I looked at the notes) melds with seamlessly.  I never really perceive the patchouli, and while sage can be a problematic note on me, it behaves perfectly here, dry and herbal but warm, a perfect balance for the sweet notes.  Anyway, it's fantastic on me, outdoorsy, cozy, deeply satisfying.  This goes on my list of things I'd be delighted to have more of.  

I ended up turning this into an atmo spray, and I love it. Lunasariel nails what it ends up doing as a spray. I think it works well in this medium since the sage is sharp.