Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Fortunes of War

A hymn for triumph for those who do battle, whether it be with fists, ideas, or words: frankincense and dragon’s blood resin, saffron-threaded red musk, tomato leaf, tobacco absolute and tobacco leaf, and leather accord.

In the bottle: There is something really florid and bloodthirsty in the blend right off the bat, despite its sweetness. This is a hot-headed cowboy musk slathered in fancy cologne, ready to fight or fuck as the case may be.

On the skin: Smoothing out as the dragon's blood spreads its wings. The frankincense is hovering somewhere in the middle, getting drawn into a playful tussle with the earthier notes below. While it's genteel on the surface, there's something lurking down there that seems to warn against getting too close, or resting too easy. The tobacco emerges slowly, the sin you only realize you've been stained by once it's too late.

Whomever this blend might have been inspired by, their character is decidedly... *sniff* ...unsportsmanlike.

weiiiiiiird

first sniff: ooh, tomato leaf and...

BAM! candy sweet!!! bubblegum!!!

what...?

*keeps sniffing*

BUBBLEGUM AND CANDY

:blink:

underneath the sweetness is some wonderful notes of incense and even leather, but they are very faint

...it's so bizarre!

but it doesn't smell sweet in the bottle...so my skin is super morphing it I guess

Saffron, tobacco and a resiny red musk. This one is a very red blend, but it's mainly red musk + tobacco. Good throw and wear length.

This is a lot sweeter than I was expecting. I get dragon's blood first, but it's backed by the tobacco, making it smell sort of sweeter and chewier than I'm used to. I get some frankincense too. As it wears, I get something slightly earthy and green/soapy smelling. Maybe the tomato leaf? I'm not very familiar with that note. I'm guessing red musk is lending a lot of the sweetness, but it's a back up player in this. I don't really make out leather. Fortuna Belli is very different, and as I said, NOT what I was expecting, which was an incensey/earthy/leather blend leaning towards masculine. I think this leans more feminine and has almost a chyprish vibe. It's NOT a chypre, but it's got sort of cool herbal sweetness that kind of seems vaguely related. Interesting, but not really my cup of tea.