Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

Partridge in a Pear Tree

Eight legs of wild plum and scrabbling black musk fluttering over a sac of lemon sugar eggs.

Light, lemon mixed with plum a dash of sugar with a smooth hint of black musk in the background. The musk is clean and keeps the lemon in check. Finally, a lemon scent I can enjoy!

Wet: Ugh, how disappointing! I was stoked about this - in the vial it was all dark plum and musk, just what I have been wanting. On my skin, it's all about the lemon, with just a hint of VERY artificial smelling plum. My skin does love to turn certain fruits to plastic...this smells more like a plum and lemon candle though. Waxy, overly perfumey, and artificial. Thanks, skin.

Dry: Blarg. Artificial lemon and plum soap. ICK. This is not for my skin chem! Too bad, the plum and musk I get in the vial are to die for.

I love all the notes mentioned, so I blind bought a bottle. Wet, it's kind of strangely perfume-y, very heavy on the black musk. Dry, it's more or less the same thing. I'm not getting any of the fruits, which is so sad. It might be off to the swaps for this one.

Sugary plum with whiffs of lemon candy. This smells like the Sugar Plum Fairy dropped some acid and sprouted extra chitinous legs. It's not really dark, but rather strange and playful. Medium throw and wear length.

In the imp this is fruity and lemony in equal amounts with a trace of something darker that I assume is the musk, very promising. When it hits my skin, however, it becomes aggressively, unapologetically, abhorrently floral. What the hell, skin? Why would you betray me like this? Is it the musk? Is it the plum? It's not the lemon because that stayed behind in the imp. To the swaps this shall go.

Source: Bottle from forum member

Preconception: Fearful of this scent but also really irrationally hopeful for the plum and lemon to work.

Bottle Sniff: Dark floral musty fruit

Skin: Oh god you have so much floral vibes happening why. But next to that is a fizzy bizzare fuzz. Literally "scrabbling" is the best description ever for this. I'm surprised by how much I love and hate this at the same time. It's like, literally, a black bird with poor motor skills trying to sit it's butt down on some lemon sugar eggs. There's these wafts of black fuzzy dark floral feather, then wafts of super sweet sugar and citrus. It's... super bizarre.

Drydown: One of the eight legs of plum has to be plum blossom. That floral turns "clean" on my scent and starts to overtake. I'm really sad this didn't go fruity for me.

Verdict; Light but black floral musk, with electric zips of sugar citrus.

I'm not sure what went wrong here, but Partridge in a Pear Tree didn't work for me at all. I am a fan of plum, black musk and sugared citrus, but something in the mix went soapy on me, and after the first hour there was no plum, no black musk and no sugary lemon, just soap. Major skin chemistry fail.

In the bottle

I'm getting black musk, followed by some plum. No lemon yet. It's bordering on perfumey but not in a bad way, just not in a fruity way.

Wet on skin

WHOA black musk. This is immediately black musk and it takes a minute for this to be anything else. The plum creeps back once this dries down a little bit but whoa.

Dry on skin after 30 minutes

The longer this is on my skin, the more the different notes meld together a little bit more. There are little hints here and there of lemon and sugar to keep the black musk from completely taking over the plum.

Thoughts

This has a slightly sinister edge to it. The black musk is a note I like in small doses, but this has mega throw so I probably wouldn't wear it to work. I like it, not one of my favorites for every day, but it's kind of fun. I'm curious to see how it will age over the next few months.