Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

2017: Crystal Phoenix

Fifteen goddamn years. Were impossible to kill, and we have kept on fighting the good fight with a panoply of scents benefiting environmental, constitutional rights, and reproductive rights causes, including Lordy, Alternative Facts, Fake News, Nevertheless She Persisted, Theoi Nomioi, and Take A Knee. We released several single notes benefiting those affected by 2017s natural disasters, and introduced Spiced Rum Buttercream Coffee and Irish Coffee Buttercream, which benefit the National Center for Transgender Equality.

To celebrate the premiere of Starzs American Gods TV series, we revamped and expanded Neil Gaimans American Gods perfume line with brand new scents, a range of nail lacquers, and brand new artwork by the inimitable Julie Dillon.

In June of 2017, Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs Brian Constantine got hitched! The ceremony and reception were held at the Mountain View Mausoleum, and was the most beautiful wedding that I have ever seen.

The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. An earthy scent, with deep, deep roots, bringing stability and security in tumultuous times: 15-year aged patchouli, bourbon vanilla, oakmoss, Himalayan cedar, tobacco leaf, birch tar, tonka bean, and leather accord.

In The Bottle: I get the rich, chewy tobacco straight away, followed by the deep, earthy-dirty scent of the patchouli, with an edge of the tonic bringing up the rear, softening the other two and making the scent just slightly sweet.

Wet On Skin: The tobacco is CRAZY strong. For those that are interested, this is very similar to the French Tobacco SN that came out about 5 years ago. at this stage, the tobacco is so overpowering that I'm not getting anything else.

Dry Down: Upon dry down, the tobacco eases back somewhat, to my relief, and the earthy aspect of the patchouli comes back. There's even a slight smokiness that I attribute to the birch tar. Sadly, I'm not getting anything else right now, but I know that often scent with so many deep rooty notes need some time to age to become truly glorious, so I will tuck this one away and revisit in a month or two ;)

In the bottle, straight up patch. Wet, still patch, but sweeter and a touch of smokiness. It's not in your face like Anne Bonny. As it dries down, the cedar peeks through slightly. I generally don't like woods (Except for sandalwood), but this one is pleasant. The scent of CP has faded nicely by the end of the day to a close, intimate scent of mostly woodsy vanilla. I do not pick up the tobacco, birch tar or leather notes in this. These may show up later after aging a bit.

Someone asked me how it compares to Banshee Beat. I never smelled that, but I have a decant of Revenant Rhythm HG which is too precious to use, so I haven't used it either. To my nose, they are almost identical (maybe 95%); they both have that same sweet patchouli note, most likely from the vanilla in both. The only difference is that RR reviews indicate a hemp note, while CP has a cedar note. BB/RR lovers will like this one. I'd like to see how this ages.

Strangely, this smells so much like The Antikythera Mechanism to me, that golden tobacco and wood at the start except with shaggy leather chaps. After a few minutes the leather amps and becomes most prominent taking this into completely new territory. Neither masculine or feminine, I can't stop thinking this is completely steampunk in tone, all black top hats and smoking cigars.

If this were a crystal, it would be a scarred hunk of smoky quartz the size of a black bear. This is potent, weighty, strong.

I pick up a gorgeously filthy aged patchouli first and foremost, followed by worn leather, tobacco, and a hint of cedar. I was a bit worried about the birch tar vetiver combo going full barbecue on me, but they just add a pleasant, slightly charred aura. Even with the bourbon vanilla and tonka, this is not an especially sweet scent. This is much less sweet than say, Nasty Woman.

Although this is a grounding, comforting fragrance there is an understated ferocity to it as well. Perfect to dab on before calmly going into battle with alt-right trolls.

I got this for the patchouli, but I'm not in love. Letting it age to see if the cedar and tobacco calm down some and the oakmoss stops screaming "look at me!"—the patch is nice and tries hard for the spotlight, but it doesn't quite succeed in being the starring role. This is fresh out of the mail, so YMMV. I'll probably come back to it in six or eight months.

Crystal Phoenix is all about the patchouli. Smooth patchouli is the star here, with cedar, tobacco leaf, birch tar, and leather all also prominent. These notes are softened by the bourbon vanilla and tonka bean, and the oakmoss reinforces the earthy quality of the blend well into the drydown. I can absolutely see the similarities in terms of overall feel to scents like The Antikythera Mechanism and Revenant Rhythm. I love the earthiness of this one and will enjoy it.

I am getting a bit of Revenant Rhythm and The Antikythera Mechanism. Except the whole thing seems to be sweetened by the root beer-ish birch tar and the tonka bean. Plus the oakmoss lends an earthy element to the tobacco. I get the feeling of a stone fireplace with cedar logs.

This smells like something sacred, protective and comforting.

Edit: It's just getting better and better. The vanilla patchouli, wood, and caramelized tobacco are extremely cozy.

Edited by patina

In the bottle, I get a ton of patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and a bit of cedar. Earthy is right!

Wet, tobacco and birch tar join the party. This scent just reminded me of the Tibetan incense that I bought from a hippie store in Berkeley a long time ago. It was super strong and I couldn't handle it, so I ended up throwing it away.

As it dries, it becomes a teensy bit sweeter and I can smell the vanilla and tonka and leather accord. I'm sad that the damp tobacco smell is disappearing and becoming very dry. It's still bitter and earthy, though, with a hint of spice. This would smell fantastic on a cowboy.

Basically, Crystal Phoenix goes from tobacco to leather. Medium throw.

Earthly patchouli and cedar. The tobacco rounds it out nicely. I feel like this is somewhat similar to Nasty Woman, at least with my skin chemistry. It's like this patchouli darkened by tobacco, sweetened up with bourbon vanilla. It's great for feeling powerful and yet feminine at the same time.

In my head, this was going to be like a mix of Banshee Beat and Antikythera. I realize reality will likely be much different, patchouli and I struggle to get along....

Wet: Oh wow. I actually wasn't that far off! This is a sexy, slightly gnarly patch. And the tobacco and woods do remind me of Antikythera, especially with the sweet vanilla. This is good! A little grittier than I would like, but that may round out with age.

Dry: Nada - it disappeared. I will be aging this and trying again. Sadly, I have struck out with pretty much all the Phoenixes (and I have tried almost all of them). Only Paper and Salt have really worked on me. :(

a thick, molasses-like combination of patchouli and tobacco, shot through with powdery woods and sweet bourbon vanilla. cozy, cuddly, and warm - but fortifying. i wear this one on cold days.

I smell patchouli and tobacco and...rain? Seriously, there's something about this that reminds me of that rain smell. It's really refreshing and a nice counter to the fact that the dominant notes in this are on the heavy side. I agree with melodynamite that this isn't sweet like Nasty Woman--I can't make out any of the vanilla or tonka.

I admit I bought this because the description moved me, and I didn't even expect to like it--I'm not a big tobacco fan as a general rule--but I like this way better than I expected to. I'm still not sure if it's "me" but I keep going back to sniff my arm.

in the imp and fresh on i smell mostly cedar. as it dries it mellows out but i never get that heady patch smell i was hoping for. I got a decant because patchouli+vanilla is my jam but this is mostly wood on me. However, the boyfriend told me i smelled good when i wore it so i will probably snag a bottle and let it age and try again.

This one is very similar to Crowley on me, which means it's pretty much a dude blend. Lots of leather and tobacco with a touch of patchouli. Not really getting anything else. This is a great blend, but too similar to Crowley to warrant any more.

Patchouli. Sweet dirty patchouli on top of everything. A year ago I would never have imagined ordering a scent with patchouli as the first ingredient, and Crystal Phoenix is about as patchouli-forward a scent as I now wear. The patch subsumes the cedar on me. It's sweetened by the bourbon vanilla, and I get hints of leather and tobacco. Just a little throw, and average wear length, and definitely a fall-winter scent that could be worn by anyone of driving age on up. I like it, but I suspect that in another year, as my tastes evolve and mature and it ages spectacularly, I will adore it.

In bottle: Patchouli dominant, with that particular smoothness of a really mature patchouli, pleasantly supported by oakmoss and a touch of leather.  The tar and cedar add a woodsy sharpness.  The vanilla, tobacco, and tonka are understated, but gentle the more jagged edges. Wet: Warmer and softer in feel on the skin.  The tonka comes into its own as it twines with the patchouli.  The leather really finds it's feet and challenges the patchouli.  In the bottle it's all about the patch, but on the skin it becomes about the leather.  Once things settle, the more subtle elements reassert and add a depth and complexity.  It is significantly more androgynous on the skin. Dry: Oakmoss and aged patchouli.

[....]
The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. An earthy scent, with deep, deep roots, bringing stability and security in tumultuous times: 15-year aged patchouli, bourbon vanilla, oakmoss, Himalayan cedar, tobacco leaf, birch tar, tonka bean, and leather accord.

Wet: Whew boy.  Cedar and I don't get along in anything *side-eyes Hilma*: it came out and punched me in the nose.  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDD!!!! gave way to what I can only describe as pencil shavings.

Dry:  Nose doesn't hurt anymore.  

L wrist - Not sure what to make of this.  It's well blended.  Warm, a little dirty (patchouli?), with a tang of wood and leather.  It's comforting.  I wouldn't mind if my blanket smelled like this during the winter. 

R wrist - Smells a bit like Western Diamondback (presumably the tonka bean and leather).