Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

2008: Sugar Phoenix

On January 7th, I announced that I was preggers to the forum, and pregnancy scents like Irrelevant and Disturbing Surreal Crawdad Dream soon followed. While I was giving birth to Lilith, Brian pulled the trigger on her two birth scents Lady Lilith and Lilith Victoria so they could come to life just as she was entering the world. This began our annual tradition of commemorating each year that we spend with Lilith with a scented scrapbook. We love you, Lilith. More than you can possibly know.

The Shunga debuted for the first time, including Dream of the Fisherman's Wife, Men Ringing Bell With Penises, and Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Bridge.

This year also marked the first time that Frederic inspired by Gilbert & Sullivan began appearing every February 29th, and hes been our Leap Year guest ever since!
At the December Lunacy event, we began the first of our annual toy drives.

In 2008, Black Phoenix Trading Post hosted the Miskatonic Valley Junior Baseball Associations Spring Training Teds vision of little league in Lovecraft Country which ushered in a decade of our ridiculous Lovecraft-meets-Norman Rockwell serials and rotating exhibits in Arkhams Pickman Gallery. I don't have words for how much I love working on our campy Miskatonic Valley scents; how else could I experience a life filled with pancake breakfast summoning circles, demonic art openings, pre-pubescent softball-loving fish people, suave cultist tailors, and goat-headed burlesque dancers?

Lilith's beloved lavender coated with sugar crystals, crawdad-bright grapefruit, and a pop of iridescent, loathsome Mi-Go musk.

In The Bottle: Sugared lavender. Like TKO's daytime sibling!

Wet On Skin: Same, but with the slightest edge of juicy, tart grapefruit. But only slight!

Dry Down: Same. This scent stays true from first sniff to dry-down. It reminds me of Lilith's Hair Gloss and also Daybreak, from this year's batch of Lilith scents. As such, I am happy to have it! If you're a fan of those others, or if you're looking for a daytime equivalent to TKO that won't put you to sleep in the middle of the day, this scent is for you! :)

Sugared lavender with a grapefruit edge. It dries down to a sugared musk after about six hours. Medium throw and wear length.

In the bottle: Sugared lavender and juicy, tart grapefruit (I believe the same one found in Gobo). I love sugared scents, lavender, and grapefruit, so I'm really excited about this one!

Wet: Sugared lavender (the lavender variety is definitely the one found in Lilith's hair gloss) and really realistic grapefruit (tart and juicy, with some rind), backed by some light musk. The grapefruit ends up being stronger than the lavender on me, but the sugared aspect of the lavender is really prominent, and the lavender isn't too far behind. The light musk is getting stronger as the scent begins to dry.

Dry: The grapefruit has calmed down significantly. Now, I'm mostly getting a wonderful sugary, light musk with some light grapefruit and a bit of soft lavender.

Verdict: I'm so happy to have a bottle of this! I may even need a back-up. I can see myself reaching for this one a lot during the summer months.

My absolute favourite of the 2017 phoenixes that I've tried. Initially, it smells a whole lot like TKO on me, with a hint of grapefruit. Once it's been on for a while, it's heavier on the sugar with a bit of lavender and the grapefruit bringing up the rear. Delicious, and I definitely need a second bottle!

Mmm, Sugar Phoenix is like lavender candy, not too sweet but very satisfying. This is gentle lavender, sweet grapefruit, and that spangly Mi-Go musk. It's lavender-centric on me, and relaxing but not sleepy. It feels like a sister scent to Père Noël because of the sweet lavender and citrus combo. Pretty, wearable, and would layer beautifully with lavender hair glosses.

Yep, lavender candy is a good description for this. It's sweet without being oversweet. I get a hint of powder, which I guess is the musk on me. And the lavender adds a dimension of clean to this, too. This makes me think of Sunday Morning church, and I'm not sure why. I guess the innocence.

Definitely a TKO vibe going on, except I like this a lot better. Something in TKO smells like camphor to me, mixed with sugar cookie, and I can't imagine wearing it as a perfume, but THIS is the sugary, lavender cookie think with a dusting of bright citrus and no weird camphor/medicinal note. Very pretty, and still relaxing and cozy.

Very pretty lavender and vanilla, with light whispers of grapefruit while wet. The grapefruit is a bit bitter. It did not last very long on me, fading into a light white musk in less than an hour.

Light, musky, sugared lavender with hints of grapefruit. Super light and fun, bottle!

Wet: Gorgeous sugared lavender and musk (I identify it as a pale musk - white I think). Hints of tart grapefruit. The lavender is predominant though. I love it so far. I love almost all the Lilith's Lavender scents. <3

Dry: Sadly, this doesn't last long on me - odd, lavender usually does. What's left is more of a sugary citrus musk. Not for me.

This is like a chypre to me. Fresh, light and a dash of green cologne. There may be just a touch of lavender here for me, but not much. Will be lovely for spring, but I don't need any more than my dram.

Imp : Lavender. I'm worried it'll all be floraly stuff.

Wet on skin : :wub3: Omg that sugar.

Drydown : This is beautiful. I hate florals but this is herbal through and through. Lavender raw and proper. With candied grapefruit.

I think the other descriptions of lavender candy is slightly off for me. It isn't candy-sweet. It's surely sweet - but bright and crisp. That grapefruit cuts through anything that could go candy-cloy over-sweet. No this is just flipping amazing.

I purchased this imp on a whim - soooo glad I did. now I have to hunt for a bottle. This is perfect every-day girl at the office for me. loooooooove

Disclosure - I don't know what TKO smells like. It seems compared a lot so one day I'll come back to see.

I didn't fell in love with this when it arrived, but now I tried it again and wow, it's lovely! 😍 It reminds me of antique lace, that I still have an imp left, so I decided to compare these two. On me they are really close to each other, but I actually prefer sugar phoenix. It has more depth to it and it's has this beautiful sparkly feeling. 

Pure love, but now I feel that I should have bought a backup bottle in the first place 😄