Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

UNCANNY STORY FROM THE ONSET SPIRITUALISTS
Wealthy Widow Becomes a Ghost’s Bride

The Bangs Sisters, May and Lizzie, Continue to Startle the Peaceful Residents of a Massachusetts Town – the Spirit Bridegroom

Charming May Bands and her sister, the great spiritualists, who, when at home, reside in Chicago, have lately startled the natives of Onset, Mass. This statement means more than might appear on the surface when it is added that that little town is almost wholly made up of spiritualists. Thither the Bangs sisters hied themselves some weeks ago to take part in the summer assembly of the eastern societies. They made their headquarters at Happy Home cottage, where they were daily visited by pilgrims in search of friends and relatives long since in the “other world.” Among those visitors was a rich widow from the far west, who wanted to see her lover, who had been a captain in the United States army. The captain, who came from Maryland, died on the eve of his marriage to the rich widow. For a year she has worn widows’ weeds and longed for even a visit from the spirit of her departed lover. Miss Bangs informed her that she could not only produce the captain’s spirit, but that the marriage ceremony that had been cut off by death would be performed in Happy Home cottage. A few days ago an item was given out for publication to the effect that the ceremony had been effectually performed some days before. In speaking of it May Bangs said:

“I materialized the form and the lover came out of the cabinet attired in the uniform of an army officer. The premises had been previously examined to prove that there was no mortal about. The materialized spirit asked that the curtains be drawn for a while to shut off the front parlor. The bride wanted him to put on her slipper, and he did.

“Only a faint light shone through the room where the minister and others were waiting. He kissed her numerous times. The bride was in a new wedding dress. Then the materialized spirit lover requested that the marriage ceremony be performed, and the request was granted. He placed a ring on her finger. They were together a long time that evening.”

– Fort Wayne Sentinel, September 10, 1894

Misted roses and the memory of cologne, salt-wet and bittersweet.

The Spirit Groom is gentle rose and salt water on me, like roses and tears. The 'memory of cologne' is very subtle, almost an insinuation more than a note. The first time I tested this, I wasn't sure it would be 'me', despite the lovely rose. But the second time I tested it, it really bloomed on my skin and I found that I kept bringing my wrist to my nose for the watery rose. So I guess this one is a keeper!

Absolutely gorgeous, one of my favorites so far! The memory of cologne is warm, almost skin musky. The rose is thin and incredibly well blended. A warm, soft aquatic. It's ethereal and melancholic. Bottle worthy!

Maybe this is a good scent, but all I get out of it is "This is The Haunted Beach and a slightly soapy note that doesn't register as a floral". I adore The Haunted Beach, so maybe if I had never tried that one, I'd adore this too. However, it just smells like The Haunted Beach but having gone off slightly. I'm going to keep it, because I've found rose generally ages to become much stronger, but so far I don't get any rose out of it, and the slightly soapy note is probably the mist, since I've had that experience from a mist note before (and I get it from champagnes as well).

Get this if you missed The Haunted Beach, but skip it if you have that.

No cologne to my nose, this is tears and white roses. If you have been missing Penthus, which was discon'd a few years ago, I'd consider this as a close sub. although it's lacking the incense note. It also reminds me of Pool of Tears from the Mad Tea Party collection. Think a rose predominant Alice drowning in salty tears.

It's rare that I find a rose that doesn't go soapy or powdery on my skinistry. The misted roses is apt. Reminds me of The Fairy Thorn, in that it's a haunting, wistful rose.

Roses in blends dictate that I try before I buy and this is one of the few that work. You definitely have to love the salty tears note to enjoy this. I'm planning on a bottle.

Edited by sprout

Pink roses and saltwater. This does remind me to Pool of Tears. It's a rosey aquatic, delicately balanced. Haunting, wistful, rosey. Medium throw and wear length.