Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

When I had waited a long time, very patiently, without hearing him lie down, I resolved to open a little a very, very little crevice in the lantern. So I opened it you cannot imagine how stealthily, stealthily until, at length a simple dim ray, like the thread of the spider, shot from out the crevice and fell full upon the vulture eye.

It was open wide, wide open and I grew furious as I gazed upon it. I saw it with perfect distinctness all a dull blue, with a hideous veil over it that chilled the very marrow in my bones; but I could see nothing else of the old mans face or person: for I had directed the ray as if by instinct, precisely upon the damned spot.

A dim ray upon the vulture eye: smoked violets and bulbous orris, threads of crumbling lavender, and wet iris butter.

These are still settling from the trip to me, but I just had to review. I'll change this if the scent changes when it settles down.

This is an incredible violet, iris, and lavender blend. Dark and spectral at the same time. The iris and lavender blend so perfectly that while I can smell both, I can't tell where one ends and the other begins. The violet (which I assume is also orris here) gives it just a hint of sweetness, but it's a darker and smokier violet than I've encountered in any BPAL violet scent other than Bruised Violet Compound. In fact, this is like a lighter but slightly menacing version of BVC.

Throw length seems to be about average on me, but my skin likes to devour oils, so ymmv. Definitely pick it up if you like any of the three notes. It showcases each of them really well.

As one of the Lab's resident Violet Groupies, this was the one scent other than Dead Leaves, Violet Candy and Sugar Crystals that caught my eye during the Halloweenie update. Followed by a oh, hell. My budget.

This year I'm supposed to be a bit more restrained, due to situations of my own doing, so I was perusing the Halloween list, thankful that I could actually pass on most of the offerings for 2017, but, whoa. I read this note list, gave myself a big hefty 'heave-ho' and resigned myself to the fact I was going to blind bottle this one. I eagerly awaited its arrival, and then once it was here, gave it a good wear to one of my meetings. The entire drive there I was huffing my arm, trying to find some reason why I would be spared Violetapocalypse.

Wellllllll I just ordered a whole bunch of bottles, and I rationalize that because I didn't buy anything else in backups from this year's Weenies. (Yay, rationalization!...)

Stealthily, Stealthily, is a very quiet, unassuming scent with many layers. It is a medium strength blend which from the bottle reminds me a bit of a Farewell to False Love - very lavender forward. I thought that would be my saving grace. On the skin, it sparkles again initially with a slightly dry powdery (iris?) lavender, but there's a hint of a smoky background, like in Tristesses de la Lune (another of my favorite iris-y smoky lunacies). The smoke unveils a very dark, velvety violet. An embrace of that sweet petal, but still elusive. It would like most mysterious violet notes disappear into almost nothing, willing me to snorfle and snuff just to get some tantalizing hint of the floofy purple petals. The more I tried to search for the violet, the more elusive it became. I would get a mix of dusty iris root, or occasionally the top herbaceous glow of the lavender. But, then, without warning, a random hint of violet petals blooms, like a hidden florf of violet. Not a candy-powder violet, but that rich deep purple, regal violet that wows me with its strangely sweet, cool, familiar yet space-y otherworldy floral kiss. And then when I try harder, it skirts away, only to return again, as only ionone fragrances can.

I love how this flirts and changes. Throw is both elusive, medium, but sporadically pops! It mostly stays close to the skin. The color I see is definitely a rich purple with smoky gray-blue-gray-violet tendrils.

I'm so glad to add this to my violet and purple florals collection. Thanks, Beth, for surprising me with another subtle, artistic flavor of violet for me to experience and treasure! (like a hoarding dragon. RAWR)

Violets and lavender on wet, and it dries down and more of the orris and iris come out, making it more of a powdery violet blend. This is like a light lilac colored purple. It's light and ephemeral, and just a tad crazy. Good throw and wear length.

very very light diaphanous purple scent. a little bit of violet that's not sweet and while smokey, is less smokey than the two incarnations of la befana that I've tried. everything in here is played in moderation: the orris isn't uber-dusty, the lavender not so sharply herbal. everything is swirled together, very much a blend vs individual notes. soft and delicate and restrained, low through and comparatively brief wear length.

right off i smell violets and orris/iris with hints of greenery. it's so pretty and springlike. i get lavender after it's been on my skin for about 10 minutes and i am really loving it now, it's a very interesting iris scent and reminds me of lolita lempicka without the anise. so pretty, i think i need a bottle.

Edited by theseagrows

This one has some depth. Mmmm, that's true violet, shadowy purple and smoky green with soft orris and a sharp lavender. It's especially lovely after the lavender has had some time to warm up and calm down. It gets sweeter, but never too much so. Not quite a skin scent, but definitely one of those quiet florals that makes you want to get closer to it to smell more and catch all its changing facets. This is officially my second-favorite BPAL purple-flowers scent after Insupportable Misery.

Wet: I don't normally like iris, violet or orris but this I am kind of digging. It's sweet, almost candied, but not that high pitched screechy sweet violet that gives me a headache - something is keeping this in check. Maybe the lavender?? Either way, I don't adore this, but I don't hate it either, which is saying A LOT for a violet scent - I don't have many death notes but violet is almost always one. Just proves you can never write something totally off!!

Dry: I cannot get over the fact that I enjoy this. There's something about it that negates the fact that it contains 3 notes that never work on me....don't ask me how! I tried something else that was iris and lavender the other day, and it was HORRID on me. This has sweetness and also depth, but is not sickly sweet. It doesn't go powdery. It's rich and heady without being high-pitched. I am thoroughly impressed. I am not sure I would wear it - it's so ingrained in me to hate violet. But I may keep the decant just to remind me of that one time I liked a violet scent....just maybe there will be other scents with violet in them that I WOULD wear. (Is it weird that I am fearful there will come a day when I no longer have any death notes and I just have to buy EVERYTHING? :eek: #FirstWorldBPALProblems. )

I ADORE THIS!

Oh, how I am the biggest sucker for a stunning violet scent and this certainly delivers. On me, it's a touch similar to Fleurette's Purple Snails and that's one of my HG violet scents next to beautiful Faith. This is just so subtle in it's beauty that I swoon each time my nose hits my wrist.

I have to agree with Lycanthrope. It flirts, and it flirts in the softest manner. One moment I smell violet only and then the next minute I get a delicate waft of the orris and lavender mixing in with it. The iris really never makes a strong presence on me, totally fine. I have tested this twice now to see if it's worth a bottle and I think it is..... It fits me for when I want to smell pretty but not let the scent enter the room before I do.

If you love violet, don't let this pass you by because you might regret it.

I have a bad habit of immediately buying any BPAL that has "violet" listed in it and since, I love orris root, iris and lavender, had a great challenge to not buy 500 bottles of this. I knew it would be a winner with the note roll-call and it does not disappoint.

Lavender is the first note that makes its appearance to my nose and it is quite strong, but then calms down and the violet and iris do not take a back seat into the dry down. I agree with the reviewers above that the notes dance between each other. It is a drier, sophisticated violet perfume. Absolutely gorgeous!

Purple! Violets, lavender, iris, orris. The 'smoked violet' note is beautiful and appropriately complicated, dark. This could either go super-pretty sleep blend or sexy day perfume for me. Stealthily, Stealthily reminds me of Carey Mulligan's purple-grey-blue dress in Luhrmann's Gatsby (when she meets Gatsby for the first time after many years). It's absolutely stunning.

Pretty much violet on me, kind of watery but quite soft and pretty with a touch of lavender. I accidentally ordered two decants, and I'm glad I did. It is slightly powdery, but it adds to its delicate beauty. I'm sure I'll use the decants in no time.