Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I was asking for something specific and perfect for my city,
Whereupon, lo! upsprang the aboriginal name!

Now I see what there is in a name, a word, liquid, sane, unruly, musical, self-sufficient;
I see that the word of my city is that word up there,
Because I see that word nested in nests of water-bays, superb, with tall and wonderful spires,
Rich, hemmd thick all around with sailships and steamshipsan island sixteen miles long, solid-founded,
Numberless crowded streetshigh growths of iron, slender, strong, light, splendidly uprising toward clear skies;
Tide swift and ample, well-loved by me, toward sundown,
The flowing sea-currents, the little islands, larger adjoining islands, the heights, the villas,
The countless masts, the white shore-steamers, the lighters, the ferry-boats, the black sea-steamers well-modeld;
The down-town streets, the jobbers houses of businessthe houses of business of the ship-merchants, and money-brokersthe river-streets;
Immigrants arriving, fifteen or twenty thousand in a week;
The carts hauling goodsthe manly race of drivers of horsesthe brown-faced sailors;
The summer air, the bright sun shining, and the sailing clouds aloft;
The winter snows, the sleigh-bellsthe broken ice in the river, passing along, up or down, with the flood tide or ebb-tide;
The mechanics of the city, the masters, well-formd, beautiful-faced, looking you straight in the eyes;
Trottoirs throngdvehiclesBroadwaythe womenthe shops and shows,
The parades, processions, bugles playing, flags flying, drums beating;
A million peoplemanners free and superbopen voiceshospitalitythe most courageous and friendly young men;
The free city! no slaves! no owners of slaves!
The beautiful city, the city of hurried and sparkling waters! the city of spires and masts!
The city nested in bays! my city!
The city of such women, I am mad to be with them! I will return after death to be with them!
The city of such young men, I swear I cannot live happy, without I often go talk, walk, eat, drink, sleep, with them!

- Walt Whitman

I will return after death to be with them: the gleaming sharp scent of these high growths of iron, the amber of the bright sun shining, and broken ice on the river.

Mannahatta has a very fougere sort of start for me, and I get both the amber, the metallic iron, a whiff of snow. In a lot of ways it's a gender neutral/masculine version of Broadway. This is a sophisticated city gentleman, well-heeled and self confident. Good throw and wear length.

High end men's cologne from wet to dry. Honestly, it was the amber that attracted me but it gets eaten up by the fouregere zankou describes above. Not for me. :rasp:

I put this on before heading to an event. When I got home and sat down by the computer, I was wondering who was wearing Calvin Klein. This totally smells like a mix of CK one and CK Be to me. Both of which I actually like, so a winner!

I'm terrible at identifying notes, but I get: bergamot, citrus (mandarin, perhaps?), juniper, vetiver (?), lavender (?), magnolia (?), and amber. The overall effect is reminiscent of a cologne, but I like it.

Edited by sherlocked

Freebie from the Lab! ❤️

I was hoping for more ice + amber, but the metallic notes are very strong on me. I don't dislike it, but I'm not sure I like it *on me*. It really does give that 'sophisticated gentleman's - or gentleman-presenting person's - cologne' feel. Maybe I'll try it on the husband!