Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blackcurrant and cardamom with peru balsam, patchouli, leather, and oudh.

Leather, patchouli and oudh, with touches of cardamom. This one is mainly a warm, leathery blend. Mainly masculine veering toward gender neutral. There's something deeply approachable about this blend. Good throw and wear length.

In the Vial:

Patchouli with a touch of cardamom and leather

On the Skin:

Mostly patchouli to start but the cardamom comes though soon after application and the peru balsam softens the blend to round out the whole fairly quickly. This goes from intense and sharp to smooth and soft in the blink of an eye.

On the Drydown:

Soft, supple spiced leather with just the faintest touch of musky blackcurrant. Oudh is not a feature element in this blend but just provides a woody back note. Low throw in the end but really very nice. Will need a bottle of this. For those on the fence about leather blends, the leather note is not overly strong in this.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I ordered this--well, I know I was thinking that I love cardamom and currant--but I know my skin amps leather. And sure enough, all I get at first is leather and patchouli. As it dries, I get a hint of spice and citrus. I will say that it's a softer and more wearable leather than most, and I think I will love it on my boyfriend more than on myself.

What on earth...how can this not have cedar or sandalwood in it?

In the imp it smells like woods of some sort. Wet it sort of blossoms out with that woody note and I get a hint of dill, which I normally associate with cedar. After it dries down the currant comes out, a juicy fruitiness to counterbalance this arid woodiness. My skin never activates leather, so I don't smell it all. It's pretty much balsam/oudh and currant. I would agree that it's more masculine overall.

I don't get cardamom or black currant at all. This is a nutty, woody, earthy type scent with what smells like balloon rubber (like when you stretch out a rubber balloon to blow it up) and burnt tire rubber. Not a fan of this one at all.

Wood, leather, and oudh. I get zero cardamom. Mostly earthy and woody. I wouldn't say it's exclusively masculine, but it leans that way because I don't smell any currants, either.

Wet: This is dominated by a really sweet, chewy patchouli. With the wood in the scent as well, it almost mimics tobacco on my skin, and so I really like it! Wish I could smell the cardamom or currants, but not so far. It somehow reminds me of a slightly drier version of Antikythera. It's good!

Dry: Ugh, I have been having such a hard time with patchouli notes on my skin for the last little while! They now seem, more often than not, to turn to this really dry, dusty scent that I don't enjoy very much. That's what this has done. Not for me I guess. :(

I should have looked at the label art before purchasing, (decant circle), as it would have indicated that this was a dude blend:) As it goes, this is a rough, aggressive dude blend. Lots of musk and leather, and I could swear there was vetiver here, but it's not listed. I should try it on my husband and see how it smells on him. Very nice, but not for me.

I bought this for my fiance and a little bit for me because I love blackcurrant and patchouli together. Surprisingly this is lighter than I expected, an older brother of Lyonesse almost, with that sweetness shining through. On him, its sweet leather and pulpy red fruit. On me it is mostly patch with a slight leather hint. Lovely, but not expected.

Strong patchouli and leather notes. Masculine, sexy, powerful. I'm not getting any cardamom. But I am noticing the blackcurrant, tart and dark. I would love this as a room scent. I love how the tart fruit offsets the earthy patchouli and leather.

Holy fuck.

This is super patch, masculine, sexiness.

Woodsy, frolicking hotness. Why yes, Bran ((Can I call you that?) I do.

I'm not getting the fruits. Just this straight up scent of a sexy woodsy man thing that I kind of wanna sniff all day long.

I might coat my man thing in this when he gets home from work and sniff him some and see what comes out. I normally am not super in to patch but this is just... um.. Yes. Yes sir. You can have your way with me cause you smell pretty.

Tldr: like a sexy forest. Do you like sexy forests? If so, say yes to Brangwy!

Testing blind, I, like Sangria2, thought there was cedar in this blend, which I now see was the blend of balsam and patchouli. Evergreens and leather, just a faint hint of fruit and cardamom, and I'm not getting any recognizable (i.e. indolic) oudh, just a general warmth and depth. Definitely masculine, definitely sexy. and while I like this as much as I hoped I would, I'm not madly in love with it the way I am with, say, Wulric.

Quite sharp and herbal-astringent at first, like pine, cedar or mahogany can be. Once it dries down the cardamom appears and smooths out the edges a bit. The leather is not overly present, but still there, plays well with others. Oudh is behaving well too (its not the barnyard kind, huzzah). Blackcurrant isn't coming through hugely either (mostly just a bare hint of dark berry). This is mostly a balsam party. Fully dry, this blends down quite well. Definitely masculine, on the dark-green, herbal side of that spectrum. Pheromonal and close to the skin, not much throw surprisingly. 

Reminds me of: Pine tar soap, but spicy. Satyr in an evergreen forest. A Young Boy and His Brother Seated Upon a Goat, but way more mellow and easier to wear. Dark forests, sexy lumberjacks.

I opened the bottle and applied before reading the note section, and my immediate thought was PINE!! freshly on, my first guesses were pine, patchouli, and vanilla. by the time i read the notes the pinieness had faded to a vanillic woodiness. I think it must have been the leather note, possibly some birch tar, that had me going in that evergreen direction, but this is by no means a christmas tree-air freshener type greenness. The patchouli kind of slinks in and out of the woodiness, going to an from sexy hippie to baking lumberjack in an entirely good way. I would definitely classify this as a masculine scent but not in a cologne way, more just the aesthetic of it and lack of flowers. After about an hour of drying the patchouli sounds off for me and leaves behind straight woodiness, still pretty vanillic and warm, and the cardamom peeks out without ever really making itself known. I wore this to work and considering I work in a bakery and scents tend to disappear pretty quickly it held up pretty well, I'll have to retest it again to see if i can get that cardamom to lose its shyness.

Edited by DiZZysTARdust

This is a super thick and lush forest scent. Really deep and dark forest, we're talking about here. I think all of the notes blend really well, and the leather behaves nicely without overpowering the blend, which seems to happen a lot. The oil smells like it should be thick and brown like maple syrup.

This is the kind of forest scent I love- it's rich and wonderful. Definitely a fitting scent for a forest satyr. One that probably has a lot of chest hair and knotted horns.

I am sad to say that the pine amps to all hell on me and gets really sweet for some reason? It almost becomes cloying on my skin, but I am not sure where the sweetness is coming from. The scent behaves wonderfully on my husband, though, and I found myself forgetting he was wearing it and wondering "what is that lovely smell?" xD

I think it's just my skin chemistry that messes with it, which is a shame, but I will just have to remind my husband to wear the dang stuff, because he loves it.