Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
princessbeena

Razors in a Doll's House Hair Gloss

Rose water, cognac, and lace slashed with gleaming silver.

This smells very pink to me-not cotton candy pink but like baby pink roses and cream. When it dries it smells like a dolls head-not plastic but that powdery smell of say, a cabbage patch doll (in a good way). Powdery pink rose doll heads-I'm diggin it
Edited by princessbeena

I was nervous about Razors in a Doll's House (ha, what a weird sentence!) but am so glad I took a chance! It's amazing. Ah. Maze. Ing. But I don't know how to describe it, man!

My first thought was that it reminded me of Atrocious Attic, and I could (and still can) see why that may be the case, but then I realized I was actually remembering my favorite seasonal scrub scent from a company I no longer order from. It was a fall blend meant to evoke funereal marble and lace, and half-wilted flowers, and GAWD that is exactly what I get here.

In Lab-speak, I hesitate to say the L-word in case I disappoint people, but given that I've tried Black Lace, Summer Lace, and others, I could see how this would make a good addition to that Lace line... even, perhaps, if Antique Lace collided with rose water. Is that too much of a crazy leap?!? SO GOOD.

Cold, chilly powdered pink roses. There's something feminine and not quite right about it. Good throw and wear length.

Reminds me a great deal of Die Begierde. I get lots of rose water and a little splash of the greenish cognac. This has the effect of rose spun sugar to me. Very dreamy!

So pretty, and I think this is reminding me of the original Pink Snowballs. Pink roses, chilly and crisp, with lots of creamy, cool vanilla. Definitely a sugared vanilla rose. Such a lovely, creamy vanilla and delicate rosewater type of drydown. It makes me feel gorgeous and makes me think of old fashioned dressing rooms with the big mirrors and cozy benches to put on your makeup, perfumes and powders...

I got a decant of this in the hopes it would be compatible with Die Begierde, which I am madly in love with. I think it is indeed a good match and would also work well with Hope, with a scent that falls somewhere in between the two.

The scent lacks the depth of Die Begierde, but shares it's luscious, sweet, and creamy rose. There is a hint of something softly synthetic lurking in the background. It reads less to me as metal and more as aerosol. The rose teeters on the brink of syrup, but then returns to sweet creaminess. This is very nice. There are so many I want from this release though, I'm not sure if it will make my short list. Must squirt more up my nose and think on it.

Mmm, this is pretty. Sugared roses is what I get, very similar to Hope, or maybe more like Love due to the creaminess Either way, really pretty. My fave rose HG by a long shot. Very sweet and innocent, which I find amusing, considering the name. Wish I had got at least a 1oz instead of just a 5ml! It's soooo pretty.

this is a very sugary, sweet, creamy rose. it's reminiscent of hope, but sweeter. it's like a rosy whipped cream/vanilla/marshmallow scent. this is very pretty, and i love this rose, the scent itself is just a bit sweet for me.

Edited by theseagrows

This is the hair gloss of my dreams! :wub3:

I've always wanted a hair gloss in the same vein as Pink Snowballs or Hope. Each year, I would wait for the Yules to release to see if this was the year my wish would be granted. Well, with the return of the CD and the launch of the CD hair glosses, my wish has finally been granted. And even better, it's not as short lived as the seasonal collections.

This is it! A sugared vanilla rose. Plain and simple but stunning. I immediately bought a backup bottle. The cognac does not make this boozy, just adds some depth to the rose and vanilla. I think that's the sugared aspect I'm getting. And I don't detect anything metallic so don't be concerned about that. If you've always wanted a vanilla rose hair gloss, get some stat! It's beautiful.

I hope this sticks around forever. Thanks Puddin! :wub2:

Wow. This is so beautiful. As others have said above, this is a sugared vanilla rose with a wisp of booziness. It is so lovely, I can't get my nose out of my hair. Aging has really helped this HG, as I was not as blown over at first sniff.

Thanks to the lovely forumite that gave me a vial of this to try! :wub2:

In the decant, this is a sugared vanilla pink rose. I agree with roseus’ rose spun sugar description.

In my hair, that is exactly what I get, accompanied by some cognac (which is more noticeable when this is first applied than later on in the day). It lasts all day, too! I have been curious about this for a long time, but I never leapt for a bottle because I wasn’t sure that I needed another rose hair gloss (as I already have two bottles of Rose Red, which I’ve been layering with Boo HG when looking for a sweeter rose). I was also afraid that this would contain a metal note. Fortunately, it does not!

This is really lovely and I think I may end up having to grab a bottle of this in the future, even though my hair gloss collection is completely out of control.

Edited by dementia_divine

This review is primarily for the scent. I have already reviewed the hair gloss in detail in previous rewiews. Suffice to say that I love it. It gives a lovely sheen, but most important to me, it is an awesome detangler. Since they first came out with it, I wouldn't wash my hair without spraying some on before combing.

Hmm, this is a most interesting fragrance. The notes blend together so seamlessly as to create something entirely new. When I sniff it without looking at the description, I can't identify any specific note. There is something oddly fruity that reminds me of pineapple, but it is too faint to really pin it down. After checking the list and sniffing for those notes, I can pick out the rose, vanilla, and cognac. But they are very subtle, especially the rose. I would not categorize this as a rose-based scent.

That was a little disappointing, as I chose it for the rose note. But of course I should not expect rosewater to smell strongly. And this is a lovely fragrance. It is unique, interesting, and sweet. A little foody but not obnoxiously so. It doesn't make me smell like I have been drinking, either. I only get a pleasing cognac vibe if I look for it.

I like this very much and am glad I purchased it. It makes a nice change from my mostly incensey glosses.

Strength and longevity are both about average for a hair gloss.

Prominent notes: None that stand out

Character: Sweet, blended, unique, mildly foody

4.5 out of 6 stars

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I don’t know why I waited so long to try this! 

This is sweet pink roses, a bit of boozy cognac, and the slightly dusty old lace scent I get from Antique Lace (minus the amped foody vanilla), but it also has this slightly sinister dark edge behind the pink sweetness that I can’t identify that’s really evocative of dangerous dolly. 

I generally wear HG as body sprays as well and I need like more bottles of this to hoard now! 

I am not familiar with cognac, so I mostly get the rose water and lace notes. Very pretty and slightly metallic from the silver, but on me it's subtle and mostly rose. This could work well with many blends, especially ones with rose like Zombi. Lasts pretty well too, I sprayed it on damp hair and it has lasted longer than when it's on dry hair. Glad I have quite a bit of this decant, this is one of the best hair gloss I've tried!

Just got mine today. Smells very warm in the bottle -- in fact, all of the products do, including the Snow White and Take the Moon oils I got. This mostly smells sugary with no floral notes whatsoever.

I gamely tried out the hair gloss after showering and washing my hair. Currently I'm using some "restorative" conditioners whose scents tend to linger, and I was curious how this would blend with e.g. Olaplex no. 5. I gave the bottle a good shake first. The dispenser took only a few squeezes to prime and produced a good mist (rather than the stream other posts warned about). 6 pumps in wet hair smelled vegetal -- I guessed that was the Olaplex, but on second thought it might be the rose? On my hands, the cloying sweetness took about 15 minutes to dissipate and evolved into something that might be the "lace" and "silver" notes with no cognac or rose.

Update: after a few hours drying with my hair (by the time the Olaplex scent is usually well gone), it has a very "clean" scent that's lost most of its sugar notes and could well be said to have rose notes. I added a few more spritzes to my dry hair out of excitement, and it immediately smelled only lightly sweet. Instead, it was more rose-forward with a leather?-like note, perhapse the lace/silver/cognac combined. In such large quantities, the bottom notes remind me slightly of cough syrup.

Edited by Aviara
Time-based update.