Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Leather and a splash of gin, whiskey swirled tobacco, rose petals, and bourbon vanilla.

Oh, gosh, am I the first? Here we go...

In the bottle, it's sweet and boozy. It's a little bit overwhelming, a little nail polish remover-like, but have no fear! It's quite the morpher on the skin.

Wet on the skin, the gin is initially the strongest note. Leather comes out a little bit to play. After a while, this settles into a BEAUTIFUL chewy tobacco, with a little sweetness from the vanilla. I want to point out how well-blended the rose petals are - they really are just a "swirl", adding a nice subtle floral top note. The leather really grounds everything and really feels like more of the "black jacket" variety.

Overall: awesome, awesome, awesome. If you like your leather and tobacco scents on the boozy side, get this.

My immediate scent associations: Tavern of Hell; Perversion; L'Heure Verte

I got this because the notes sounded perfect, and was expecting something a little boozy and sweet. Instead, it reminded me of floral potpourri, including the smell of the wicker/reed pieces in potpourri. It is not an unpleasant scent, but was not what I expected. I did give it a chance and wore it. Over the day, the scent became more pleasant, a light floral, but still smelled like potpourri to me. I am not sure if I got a mislabeled bottle or it just smells different, but I definitely did not pick up any of the notes in the description. This one is a no for me.

In The Bottle:

Slightly boozy subtle rose and vanilla

On the Skin:

Pretty rose and vanilla. The booze notes in the background giving some depth. Almost a banana vibe. The leather comes out to play a little and makes this a little more grown-up where previously it had been a little candyish.

On the Drydown:

I definitely like the drydown better as the scent becomes drier but still with the roundness of the vanilla keeping from becoming too astringent. The rose is pretty and subtle and gets a green edge to it as it dries down. I don't get much tobacco, per se, but it is there with it's peculiar dry sweetness. Becomes decidedly boozier on the deep drydown. I like it a lot.

Edited by galahad

Surprisingly well-blended in the imp - and weirder than I expected. Whiskey, gin, and leather are all fighting for dominance, with sweet vanilla in the background.

Wet: That's the Mad Sweeney whiskey note on top for sure, which is not what I was anticipating - I was hoping for more of a gin-and-leather scent. The gin comes out a little more as it dries, along with rose, the whole thing sweetened a lot by the vanilla. Not sure this combination of notes is working for me.

Drying: This smells distinctly like moth balls. I go to a lot of estate sales, and this is the exact smell of many of the musty, mothballed basements I've been in. Wow.

Dry: Medicinal, harsh gin with leather in the background. Not what I had hoped for at all, unfortunately.

Woah this is the strangest blend! There's a sharp camphor-y, rubbing alcohol note at the start, all the notes are jangled up and don't play nicely with each other at all but as it dries the candy sweetness is toned down and the leather, tobacco and whiskey get stronger, I like this phase more but not sure if I like it enough to wear. If you do like it though this one has amazing throw.

In the imp this smells like mirin to me, which I guess makes sense in a weird way. On my skin it's boozy, with a bit of tobacco and the most fleeting glimpse of rose. I can't really pick out the gin or leather specifically, and as it dries down the tobacco really comes to the forefront, grounded by bourbon vanilla. The tobacco has an almost wet, chewy feeling to it.

I'm glad I tried this because it is pretty different from my usual scents, vanilla aside, but it confirms that I really don't like tobacco as a dominant note. I was hoping for more alcohol + rose, but I should really know by now that my skin eats rose :(

This is a rose unlike any I've smelled before. Considering how many rose scents I have in my collection, let alone how many I've tested, that's saying something! The gin/whisky/tobacco mixture isn't nearly as masculine as it sounds and is heavier on the gin than anything. Somehow the three blend into something almost like green cardamom when I get close. The vanilla is so boozy that my nose actually detects it as being part of the whisky, which I don't mind at all. The rose petals are surprisingly non-floral and blend with the greenness of the gin into something clean, spicy, and unisex. There is a hint of floral at the tail end of the scent, but it's still not powdery or sweet like a typical feminine rose. I will very likely end up with a bottle of this.

So this one is super interesting. I get a fair bit of gin which brings a ton of freshness, whiskey with a tinge of chewy tobacco, and some black leather lurking in the background. It smells like I would have hoped the GC Manhattan to smell like - a very urban sophisticated bar blend. I have to say that this is one of the more interesting BPAL blends I've tried in a long long time. I'm not sure I like it, but it's very interesting to wear and compelling. Cool, sophisticated, urban. Good throw and wear length.

Wet, this is not good on me at all. Sharp leather, sharp gin, sharp tobacco. No pretty rose, no mellow boozy vanilla. The gin gets the upper hand, but it's quite a battle. I never get the rose, and the interesting thing is that I have Whip on my other arm, and it is all rose at first. It's as if all the roses in both blends fled for my left arm while all the leather ganged up on my right Ultimately, after a couple of hours it settles into an interesting and unusual gin-dominated scent that I could bear to wear, but not when it takes two hours to get there.

WOWEEEE! This is one of those amazingly complex, expertly blended scents that I love. Everything comes through in a balanced way. Its rich and complex, not like the typical boozy scents I've smelled. Also the tobacco and rose, both which can turn bad on me, are perfect! The tobacco is trying to amp a bit though, as usual.

On me, the gin, whiskey, and rose petals are forefront, but the sweetness of the vanilla makes it luscious - The leather is there, but in the background supporting these other smells. I am testing this over a year after it was decanted, and Im glad for it. This may need to go on my wishlist as needing a bottle. No other BPAL I've tested has this mix.

VERDICT - A terribly sexy scent I want to wear to the kink club

Edited by Greenwoodtree