Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
neuilly

Maiko with Hair Unbound

Goats milk, coconut, rice milk, honey carnation, and sugar.

I hate to be the first review because I'm terrible at identifying notes but here goes:

This scent is much warmer than I was expecting - everything already blended well before it even touched my skin. Having trouble picking out notes. I'm thinking the honey carnation is giving a deeper note....or maybe the sugar is more like a burnt sugar or a brown sugar. I got this one and the Kitten scent together and was worried they'd be too similar but they are nothing alike on my skin. Oddly enough despite having two milk notes this doesn't come off as particularly milky to me. There is a hint of it in the background but I get....even an almost wood note in this? The more it sits the more I think it's the honey carnation. Also no coconut to be found on my which I occasionally amp.

So interesting - not sure if it's my skin chemistry or the scent itself so I look forward to reading more reviews.

In the bottle: this smells exactly like Giljagaur did in the bottle. Buttery goat's milk. Not like butter, but creamy and rich milk.

Wet: Goat's milk is still very strong, but now getting soft coconut as well. Not loud tropical sunscreen coconut, if you're worried about that. Also a touch of carnation peeking out.

Dry: Soft, milky base. I'm definitely getting a little bit of a starchy rice note, and the whole thing is just a tad sweet.This is probably the softest carnation I've ever smelled, it's a dainty spiciness floating over top. It's blending so gorgeously, and the throw is pretty good for such soft creamy notes too.

Edited by roseus

In The Bottle: Yummy, rich goat's milk.

Wet On Skin: The goat's milk still dominates, though the coconut is peeking in *just* a touch.

Dry Down: Goat's milk, coconut and a little rice milk. Unfortunately, I get no honey carnation or sugar. Still, a scent that is nothing but rich cream is pretty great, and I think they'll be plenty of chances to wear it as the weather continues to get warmer. I also think it'll be great for layering with other things, be they foodie or floral, so I'm totally happy to have a bottle :)

This one took me back to the days and nights when I was a milk bar. Warm and cozy with my baby all cuddled against me. Bottle sniff was seriously sour milk to me, oops somebody's tummy hurts. I was hoping for more coconut and carnation in this, so this baby's :boogie: shuffling off to a new crib.

Edited by Jenjin

This reminds me of Lady Una, which happens to be one of my most beloved blends, ever.

Sweet, creamy, just a whiff of floral-what I smell in the bottle is how it stays on my skin. Very light, soft.

Edited by sunnyrain

In the bottle: rich buttery milk, frothy with cream; a little coconut that reminds me of the creaminess in Goblin's coconut; plain rice milk; a very soft, almost spiceless carnation and... a lil white honey? I don't usually describe bottle sniffs because they're so closed in, but this is lovely and I'm reluctant to put it on my skin and have it change.

Ah, yeah, no change. I need to wear this with Young Man with Long Hair HG, because the two would be gorgeous together.

I get more sugar at first as this dries down, and then the sugar and carnation both drift away, and it settles into a simpler buttery coconut cream and rice milk.

Glorious while wet, more comforting when dry.

A little scared of the goats' milk, but I love the other notes too much not to try it.

Wet: This immediately reminds me of Ivory Vulva. :eek:

No joke, they smell quite similar on me. Baked goods and coconut. Like coconut cookies, maybe. Seriously yummy, and I am now hungry. Wow, this might be even better than Ivory Vulva. Somehow I was not expecting it to be this gourmand, or this good.

Wet: YUM. Coconut baked goods gloriousness. I need to test it against Ivory Vulva to see if I really need a bottle of both, but man is this yummy! If you like coconut gourmands, don't pass it up.

In the bottle, this is all goat's milk.

Drying, it starts to sweeten up. The honey carnation and sugar start to really take the forefront. Still no coconut after warming, though.

After it dries down and rests a little, I get more sweetness - this time, probably rice milk - and a little coconut.

It's less coconut than Ivory Vulva on me, and significantly less buttery and "dark". If Ivory Vulva is a coconut custard pie - all golden crust, toasted coconut flakes, and custard - this is more like some warm, sweetened goat's milk with coconut steeped in it. The goat's milk base is very reminiscent of Giljagaur.

Edited by Aiobhan

In the bottle it was ricy goats milk. Soft and drinkably creamy.

On skin I get no carnation and what was a potentially deep scent immediately turns to vanilla plastic on me- within minutes. Not for me!

This is like the love child of Ivory Vulva and My Baby and a Baby Goat.

I really love it, but I have both of the above scents in bottles, so I don't think I need this one. But I will cherish my decant. It's sweet, lovely and comforting.

This is so absolutely wonderful! I may need a backup. In the bottle, it smells like the most perfect delicate bloom with vanilla (I haven't tried any of the Lab's rice milk or goat milk blends so the light vanilla I'm detecting may just be the milky qualities). On my skin, it lasted approx 6 hours and it reminded me more of Obatala than Ivory Vulva. The carnation is not spicy but instead just gives the blend a lightly floral essence. A light, inoffensive coconut-y blend. Super comforting, feminine, and spring-like.

In the imp/wet - Honeyed cream

Freshly Applied - honeyed cream, rich and similar to the goats milk/honey/white chocolate scent, almost reminiscent of Caramel Apple Cookie without the apple. It wants to edge into cloying territory but hopefully won't.

Fifteen minutes in - soft, warm goats milk and a hint of honey (but a sweet/slightly powdery honey rather than the sticky, sexy kind). I think I may need to do a side-by-side of this and White chocolate, Marshmallow, Honey, and Goats milk.

Two Hours in - still warm/soft goat's milk and honey, with maaaaybe a hint of carnation. Maiko doesn't morph much, if at all, and stays basically the same throughout the rest of the wear time (at least 6-7 hours)

Coconut, goat milk, rice milk and a touch of sugar. This reminds me as a more rice milk version of My Kid and Baby Goat from the Lilith update a few years ago. Or was it last year. You know which one I'm talking about. Sweet, comforting, and milky. Good throw and wear length.

Conflicted on this one. I enjoyed My Baby and a Baby Goat for the rich milk note, but it was just too heavy and single note on me overall.

When I first put on Maiko, it was literally all goat milk. For hours.

I had given it up as a lost cause until finally, after about 7 hours, the honeyed carnation + coconut peeped out.

It's really beautiful at this stage - a soft, sweet and breezy carnation. Even better than my OG carnation in St. Germain thanks to the lickable additions.

I just don't know if I want to wait that long for the drydown every single time.

Will probably let it age for a while to see if the complexity arrives sooner, but if not, it seems like the goats milk drowns out too much.

This review is about to be useless...

I know there were a lot of mislabelled bottles and batch variations with this update, and I keep wondering if my bottle of Maiko is Cave of Treasures or something (but my bottle of Cave was soapy lilac)...

I get a strong, sweet lilac undertone throughout the whole life of this fragrance, and nothing like carnation, sugar, or coconut. And it smells more like butter than any type of milk.

My bottle of Maiko is intensely buttery, spicy and infused with sweet lilac. Super creamy and like it's swimming in a puddle of melted butter.

I often go to a fresh seafood restaurant that boils shrimp and coats them in tons of butter, cajun seasoning, lemon pepper, and garlic... and Maiko smells so much like that steamy shrimp and buttery sauce. With super-sweet lilacs.

It's so weird, but I like it.. but I think my bottle might be not-the-right-scent, because it doesn't sound like the other reviews at all.

Again, not so sure BPAL's coconut likes me. This has very little throw on me, although I do like it. It's mostly goat's milk and carnation with honey and some powdery rice/coconut milk in the base. It's a very sweet, feminine fragrance, very much a "your skin but better" kind of scent. For me I wish there was a bit of a bite somewhere to balance all the creaminess.

ETA: Wow, I was so wrong about this! It just needed some time to warm up (I am notoriously cold and this can be a problem with some perfumes and how they develop). Carnation never turns into the spicy confection everyone describes on me, but this has. I kept getting a whiff of something incredible and finally realized it was this scent! The honey shows up more prominently along with the carnation, which amps to a modest but acceptable amount of throw on me. Definitely bottle-worthy.

Edited by lizabelle

Coconut and milk, very similar to Obatala. Maybe a tad sweeter. Others get very little coconut, but it's definitely the strongest note on my skin. Later, the honey/burnt sugar comes out. It's still very Obatala, so I will swap since I already have plenty of Obatala.

Oh yes.  Salty, savory, creamy skin scent.  A touch of sweetness swirling through layer upon layer of thick, warm cream.