Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Gangleri asked: How were things wrought, ere the races were and the tribes of men increased? Then said Hárr: The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire,these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Then spake Jafnhárr: Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim.

Ice and rime and congealing venom, frost over frost, forever into the void: salt-strange rain and floes of hoarfrost, antediluvian poisons, and radiant sparks from Múspellheims furnaces.

First reviewer? Nice!

Unfortunately, my review isn't going to be glowing. I'd hoped for something chilly, snowy, aquatic, and maybe just a bit salty.

What I got in the sample container was a loud, vaguely noxious shriek of something citrusy that smelled like salted vomit when I applied it. I scrubbed it off immediately and layered the skin over with something I liked to take the pain away.

This is only one of two BPALs I've ever deeply disliked. Both had "salt" as an ingredient. I think I've found my death note .

The first thing I get is a very strong salt note, followed by menthol and eucalyptus. There is no sweetness to it, so it never veers off into cough-drop territory. No, this is bitter...bitter and cold, and a little medicinal.

Dry down is a really powerful, bracing saltwater aquatic. This is the ultimate oceanic/ozonic scent.

It reminds me of men's colognes popular in the nineties. Still, it seems like a scent to wear to the gym, rather than on a date. There is nothing cuddly or warm about this.

edit: OK, on the second day of testing this, my impression of it has changed a bit. It isn't quite as bitter or medicinal as I originally thought. In fact, after a while, it starts to sweeten up a bit.

There are definitely some notes that round the scent out and makes it not purely aquatic, but I can't place what they are. It has a base that reminds me almost of freshly baked bread and white florals.

But not Big, Heavy White Florals - gardenia, tuberose, jasmine. No, like little white florals...maybe some spring bulbs just starting to blossom.

The cold saltwater marine notes are still at the forefront of this perfume.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

Cold, Dark, and empty, like space I imagine. That's exactly what it smells like. I like it. Not enough for a bottle. But enough to keep my decant.

Salty, mineral aquatic. I get salt, frost, and pyrite over rain. Slightly masculine. Good throw and wear length.

This is cold and foreboding. In the bottle I get sharp eucalyptus and menthol. I suspect there might be some light florals in this, however, as the scent seems to sweeten on dry down and the sharpness fades. This is a really light, fresh aquatic on my skin. It's something I would wear when I'm at home and want to wear something that isn't too strong. Sadly, however, it only lasts a couple of hours before fading significantly.

Wet: Freshly cracked jar of Vick's Vaporub. The force is with this one.

Dry:  This calms down in to a wearable aquatic.  No sweet or flowery notes that I can pick out.  It might be well suited for a masculine wearer.