Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Then said Gangleri: What was done then by Borrs sons, if thou believe that they be gods? Hárr replied: In this matter there is no little to be said. They took Ymir and bore him into the middle of the Yawning Void, and made of him the earth: of his blood the sea and the waters; the land was made of his flesh, and the crags of his bones; gravel and stones they fashioned from his teeth and his grinders and from those bones that were broken. And Jafnhárr said: Of the blood, which ran and welled forth freely out of his wounds, they made the sea, when they had formed and made firm the earth together, and laid the sea in a ring round about her; and it may well seem a hard thing to most men to cross over it. Then said Thridi: They took his skull also, and made of it the heaven, and set it up over the earth with four corners; and under each corner they set a dwarf: the names of these are East, West, North, and South. Then they took the glowing embers and sparks that burst forth and had been cast out of Múspellheim, and set them in the midst of the Yawning Void, in the heaven, both above and below, to illumine heaven and earth. They assigned places to all fires: to some in heaven, some wandered free under the heavens; nevertheless, to these also they gave a place, and shaped them courses. It is said in old songs, that from these the days were reckoned, and the tale of years told, as is said in Völuspá:

The sun knew not | where she had housing;
The moon knew not | what Might he had;
The stars knew not | where stood their places.
Thus was it ere | the earth was fashioned.

The sun knew not, the moon knew not, the stars knew not: the blood of the sea and the firelight of wandering star-sparks beneath the skull-dome of heaven. Salt and wind and the first rains, glittering starlight fashioned of white rose oud, lavender, white musk, champagne grape and petitgrain, and heavens vault constructed of bone-white sandalwood and purest frankincense.

Wow, the champagne grape gives this a REALLY fizzy quality right out of the bottle and for several hours after application. Champagne is not a great note on me, but the other notes are some of my absolute favorites, so I had to give it a go. As long as the champagne grape is at the forefront, this reminds me strongly of Stardust.

Finally, however, after about 5 hours, the grape finally starts to fade and I start to get hints of the other notes, mainly the lavender and white musk. I bet with some aging this will be really lovely.

I think this is the most beautiful BPAL creation so far. If a starry sky could have a scent, this would be it. Fresh, cool night with diamond stars overhead. Just you and your Self, marveling at the immensity of the Universe. Breathtaking. I immediately ordered another bottle. Will likely order a few more.

I get fizzy white rose and that's about it.

Was hoping for the oud, musk, sandalwood and/or frankincense to make appearances but they never did.

Disappointing because these are usually pretty strong notes on me.

Meh.

Ooh, champagne! And...not a lot else. The champagne note is very true to life and fizzy, but it's also strong and drowns out anything else. I get a wisp of soft, floral pink rose but that's about it. Surprisingly this is pretty long-lasting.

Wet: Champagne - and though I like the Lab's champagne note, this one immediately turns to soap, and in the throw, I get something akin to the jasmine-cat-pee-effect. So far this is Not Good.

Dry: Less soapy, but still champagne single note. Disappointing. I had hoped for so much more with all these great notes. Pretty fresh out of the mail, so maybe it just needs to settle and be tested again.

Fizzy champagne, airy notes, white rose, lavender and white musk. This one is a very chilly, open air sort of blend. If your skin plays nice with white musk, then you'll be able to get away with it. For me, it always lends an almost citrusy edge to any blend, which for this particular blend works very well. Cool night time air. Good throw and wear length.

Holy champagne, lavender, white musk and OUDH, Batman! I've worn this a few times before reviewing to sort of cement my impressions... While I love the white rose oudh note, the other notes make this a bit too loud and sharp for me. I'll try it again in a few weeks, but for now, the way the notes battle each other for dominance is a bit much... It makes this smell like a really old fashioned perfume soap that could knock a man out at thirty paces. The kids won't come near me when I wear this. They echo my impressions and say it smells like bad soap. For my rose oudh fix, I prefer Bestla.

Very sharp, soapy, stab-you-in-your-nose champagne. I think I'm mostly getting white musk and ozone that are making the champagne soapier, brighter, perfumey, intensely sharp... as it dries down, I can smell the sour, boozy, slightly pukey tone that the champagne usually has on my skin. Industrial soap and getting sick after a night of drinking.

Pine, pine, pine, pine, pine, pine. There's some other stuff - and if I sniff real close I can start to parse out that there's some interesting stuff going on, but unfortunately, without that intent, this is just pine-y on me - and not like pinesol pine-y - it's like legitimate pine, but still not what I wanted out of this one.

A very grape champagne scent with rose and lavender. The champagne, and the grape of the champagne, stick out the most by far to me, where I can just barely pick out the rose and lavender. I can tell other scents like sandalwood and musk are there, I cannot pick them out though, and serve to round out the scent. A beautiful blend that smells to me like one is in the middle of a sip of champagne with freshly cut rose and lavender nearby.

I don't know if it's a result of the change in my skin chemistry or if it's that this scent has finally changed with age, but i no longer get soap out of the fizziness of the champagne note in this (never reviewed it before because it was really just all soap), and after an effervescent, albeit frustratingly singular top note of that, I start to get hints of well-blended florals and incense.  I used to hope I'd get white rose and lavender from this, and even now I think it's more white musk + fizz, but if it changes, I'll edit the review.