Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
SadariEvenstar

Raspberry Sufganiyot

Sugar-sprinkled sufganiyot filled with sweet raspberry jelly.

This one is going to get a lot of love. This is a gorgeous jammy raspberry, with a hint of doughnut. Unfortunately, for me, there is also something plasticy that wasn't in the Strawberry version. I'm very much feeling like a raspberry scented doll.

eta: After about an hour the plastic scent did finally burn off. I was left with a pleasant fruity scent.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

In The Bottle: This is the raspberry counterpart to last year's Strawberry. That's what I got from sniffing in the bottle. I couldn't be more excited.

Wet On Skin: Oh, gurl yassssssss. This is the raspberry donut of my DREAMS. I don't even LIKE jelly donuts in actual life, but this? I would eat this donut if it was a plate before me.

Dry Down: This scent stays true from bottle to dry-down. This is all warm raspberry donut, all the time. I am in love.

In All: I got two words for y'all: Stock. Up.

Raspberry Sufganiyot is heaven, pure and simple. Heaven for foodie lovers, that is. The raspberry is definitely a sweet raspberry jelly, not a fresh berry off the vine. When first applied all I got was the raspberry goodness, not much of anything else. After only a couple of minutes the donut/baked goods scent shows up. It never overpowers, it's just there supporting the sweet gooey raspberry filling. I also can distinctly smell powdered sugar. This is crazy!

So after about 3 hours a slightly spicy scent has emerged and the raspberry has diminished a lot. I still smell powdered sugar.

I did not smell anything even resembling plastic or butter, which so many of BPAL's baked goods scents seem to have. Yay! I love Raspberry Sufganiyot from beginning to end and am very happy to have a bottle.

The Bitches Red Unicorn galloped its' way into a magical cupcake shop and drop rolled around in fluffy, sugary white cakes. Yep, the fruity note reminds me of the red raspberry notes of Bitches Love Unicorns along with the lab's epic cake note. It's beautifully done and simply scrumptious. For me, raspberry can sometimes have a savory tone, almost like ketchup or chutney for meats. At the very start, when the oil is wet, it has a bit of a condiment smell so i'm hoping the cake note amps as the oil ages. Really fun and festive overall, this Sufganiyot little sister is truly smashing!

Edited by Jenjin

This is a perfect raspberry scent. In the bottle and wet this is a super jammy, sticky, sugary raspberry. As it dries it gets the brightness and the ittiest bit of tartness of real raspberry. I can smell the powdered sugar and just a little bit of the warm doughnut underneath.

YUMYUMYUMYUMYUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!

I snatched this baby right up! I love me some raspberry and this IZ sweet and thick and jammy and SO good (!!!!) with a delicious, vanilla-ey cakey note, and the tiiiiiniest touch of spice on the dry down. I smell like a grown up, sexy, raspberry Strawberry Shortcake Doll! I smelled it on my friend when she got in the car the next day. It has the bangin' sillage and tenacity. Mix it with Snake Oil. Try not to eat yourself.

Lovingly referred to as "Raspberry Shenanigans". Hoard-worthy. Buy it blind.

Edited by lookingglass

At first it smells like straight up raspberry jam. It doesn't smell at all like plastic, faintly of wax maybe. Or maybe I'm conditioned because I had a raspberry lip gloss once. But this is gorgeous and edible. I don't get any dough but I do get sugar, specifically the flaky sugar glaze that goes on donuts. It's amazing how accurate that is.

On drydown it seems to have medium to light throw on me. A "savory" note comes out, almost like some raspberry leaves mixed with the raspberry. Almost metallic somehow? I can see how if you squinted and had a certain skin chemistry it could smell like plastic. It could be that the vanilla's doing that but mostly it's just sweet pink sugary glaze. It becomes increasingly faint after six hours wear.

Good, but I probably don't need a bottle.

Edited by patina

Started like raspberry hostess pie filling. In fact if hostess had raspberry pie instead of cherry pie, this is EXACTLY how i smell from application to drydown,

quite strong throw, like bkabkberry jam and scones.

In an hour plus, on my chemistry, the crust falls out, and what I'm left with is kinda puffy fuzzy Whipped cloudy cotton candy/ angekcake note with the raspberry.

I do feel like a raspberry scented doll. Not the plastic of the doll. But remember how strawberry shortcakes hair was addicting but her doll parts were not? Like her friend raspberry torte ...

this is so much fun!

I think I like this better than last year's Strawberry version. Here, I get the same sort of glazed sweetness note but the raspberry is a perfect counterbalance, the kind of tart that makes your teeth ache and I LOVE it.

So, if you had asked me if I would like to smell like the raspberry filling in a doughnut, I probably would have looked at you strangely and replied "No?"

Well, joke's on me, because it turns out that apparently I do love smelling like the raspberry filling of a doughnut :tongue:

Raspberry Sufganiyot is an uncannily perfect recreation of that scent. It's sweet, tart, jammy, and completely crave-inducing. I might seriously be getting myself a raspberry-filled doughnut to eat for lunch today.

So far, I really haven't detected a yeasty or bread like note - it's been all about the raspberry filling, which is fine by me. Where I applied this to my wrists, it got a little bit plasticky, but in the crooks of my arms (which tend to stay warmer and also rub off a bit on my sleeves) it has avoided that and stayed a true delicious raspberry scent.

This has made me curious to try the Strawberry Sufganiyot blend from last year, but I suspect I will still prefer the Raspberry version because the tartness in it is such a wonderful contrast to the sweetness overload. Also, I have never had a strawberry-filled doughnut, while raspberry-filled ones are quite common in my area bakeries, so this year's blend is that much more evocative for me.

sniffed from the bottle and wet on skin : i feel like i'm drinking a glass of The Great Bluedini (the original version, not the one they brought back), while slurping on one of the blue Otterpops, after having just washed my hands with Rock Star.

after about half an hour to an hour, the blue raspberry-ness calms the f down, and a pastry note comes out. around that same time the fake blue raspberry changes to more of a real raspberry sort of note, so while wet is more candylike, on skin it turns into more real fruit and pastry.

now, i suggest you go watch Blood & Donuts. a movie, wherein a jelly filled donut saves the day.

full disclosure: i don't like raspberries, or raspberry flavoured things. i never liked The Great Bluedini, or the blue Otterpops. Rock Star can be ok, but there are batch variations which means sometimes i like it and sometimes i don't.

last year's strawberry version, though? OMG, i wish i'd bought several more bottles because that stuff's amazing.

Cloying, slightly plasticy, raspberry jam that's super-sweet with a tart edge to it. I like the bit of a tart bite to it (almost a touch of green leaf and sour candy), but that disappears in the drydown and it's all sugary raspberry filling.
It flips between smelling like sugary raspberry jam and a powdery-plasticy, berry scented doll.
Faint, not much throw, and only lasts about an hour total on my skin.
I wanted this to have more of a pastry/cake, actual donut and glaze scent to it, but it's all raspberry filling and no donut to my nose.

I had high hopes for the raspberry jam filling, while also dreading the scent would go buttery baked-notes on me. Oh, and many scents with a sugar note have ended up giving me a headache. Well, I lucked out. The sugar is a delightful top note that goes away in a little while, like you've just bitten through that top layer, and then it's sweet raspberry jelly with a comforting yeasty background. It's delightfully silly, and lasted surprisingly long on me.

This smells absolutely fantastic in the bottle and for the first few minutes on. A rich, luscious raspberry jam with a hint of buttery glazed pastry behind it. For some reason though it fades very quickly on me, first turning into a bland, plastic sugar before disappearing completely.

Upset about this one because it is sooo delicious early on. Not sure whether to just sniff from the bottle and hoard it forever or pass it to someone who could actually wear it. Probably the latter. Sigh.

Raspberry jam and powder sugar doughnuts. Like magical glazed pastry. This is so realistic, I want to keep sniffing it and it makes me super hungry. Good throw and wear length.

Sigh. I think this is one of those that either really works with your chemistry, or falls flat. It smells lovely in the imp, but on, the raspberry takes on a weird medicinal edge, and I can smell what I'm pretty sure is the powdered sugar note trying and failing to emerge. I eventually get the scented plastic note with a faint edge of pastry. Based on the imp and the very initial wet stage I am 100% sure it's just my chemistry not playing nice. I'm going to rehome my imp with my doughnut loving friend and hope it works on her!

This does smell _exactly_ like a raspberry donut. It has fluffy, yeasty, oily cake and the sugar glaze and it is bursting with tart raspberry jelly.

Most foody scents seem a little "off" to me, or do odd things with my skin chemistry. Plastic vanilla and amped sugar being two of the usual results.

This, however, is true jelly donut on me from first appliciation to drydown. It is remarkable and eerie that a jelly donut can be reproduced so accurately in perfume form

If I have one complaint, it is that Raspberry Sufganiyot is very heavy on the raspberry filling, and light on the donut. I would have preferred more donut. Maybe it will become stronger with aging.

This scent also has staying power, lasting and staying true well over twelve hours, until I washed it off.

On the wand, it’s tartly sweet jammy raspberry, white powdered sugar, and a little fried dough, in that order.

On my skin, it’s a tartly sweet jammy raspberry nose punch that sends white powdered sugar flying when it lands. Sock. And then a little fried dough happens.

Medium-high throw. Not my regular thing but a kick to try.

So sad. I love me some raspberry anything and most foodie scents work well on me, but this turned to Raspberry Tart, the plastic doll, right away. I was so looking forward to smelling like a doughnut, but it was not to be. However, I did layer on a bit of Eat Me after this died down a little and THAT combination was amazing!

Huh. No, this is Strawberry Sufganiyot. I have no idea how, but this is absolutely strawberry jam. No sugar, no donut. Just jam. This is the stuff I make in the summer after we go to the local U-Pick farm. Not something I regularly want to smell like, but positively brilliant execution.

Also, not raspberry. Delicious, mouthwatering strawberries. Now I need to get a sample of Strawberry Sufganiyot and see if it smells like watermelon or something. :D

ETA An hour later, the strawberry turns plastic, like "Strawberry Shortcake dolls." It's still strawberry, and definitely not for me. Off to swaps to find a more loving home!

Edited by Soupy Twist

I'm in love with this scent immediately, but I can see how it might read as "plasticky" on some people. For me, it's got a very slight... waxy?... quality, but it definitely isn't plastic. I'm getting a delicious, red-fruit jam with a hint of spiced pastry in the background (and as someone who normally amps cinnamon to high heaven, I can confidently say that while I'm getting a whiff of something slightly cinnamon-esque, this is NOT becoming the dreaded Red Hots on my skin). I say red fruit because while I'm getting raspberry now, there's a chance I might not have pegged it as raspberry if I didn't already know that's what it was. It's really mouthwatering and sweet, but in a baked goods way, not a candy way, if that makes sense. It's fruity without being high-pitched. Love it!

Ayyyeee chiwawaaaa... yum. Very close to Golletes. Like Golletes and the pastry note from Huesos de Santos together. Giddy, bubbly, dreamy, delicious. Another check on my hoarding list. I totally didn't expect to loose so many dollars to the lab over yules... man I'm surprised this year! :wub2:

Edited by SophieCedar

Oh man, this is good. So good. I agree with SophieCedar - this is definitely in the same vein as Golletes. Of course it's quite similar to Strawberry Sufganiyot too, but I think the raspberry has just a little more dimension. It's a little chewier and stickier, if you will. YUM!